Eurovision 2015

Temporary forum to discuss this year's Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow in great detail ;)
_rEaSoN_

Eurovision 2015

Postby _rEaSoN_ » 21 May 2015, 21:35

Eurovision (& Australia) Song Contest 2015

Anyone watching the second semi-final?

Quite surprised there's no thread for this yet!
Kamcio

Re: Eurovision (& Australia) Song Contest 2015

Postby Kamcio » 21 May 2015, 23:32

Poland was so heartbreaking
herman22j

Postby herman22j » 22 May 2015, 11:41

Never been a fan. A friend of mine do like it though. It just not my cup of tea. I guess a lot here couldn't care about it either buhahaha
NUFF SAID
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 22 May 2015, 20:44

I like 11 songs this year. Not bad. Our entry (Spain) is exceptionally good this year too (same as last year but with a better staging).

Latvia's performance is incredible though. The song is very simple and experimental but the whole package is brilliant and Norway's entry is really good too. So I'm rooting for those 2 plus Spain.

I think Russia's gonna win, though. Which would be quite ironic after everything that happened with the gay community and the country over the last year.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 23 May 2015, 11:45

I love Russia's entry this year, but I am quite biased when it comes to her, because I love Polina, been a fan since 2005. Still I don't enjoy everything she puts out, but this song is very beautiful and I like the message of it. She's never got bad press about her personal life or that she is homophobic and so on. I want to believe that she's a true artist and she has an amazing voice.

In 2003 she won Russian Popstars, but she didn't want to be a manufactured singer, so she paid the producers off and came back on her own 2 years later in 2005 with her own material and been in the public eye ever since. :love:
Javi

Postby Javi » 23 May 2015, 18:46

^It's not her fault, obviously. But Russia can't win. You can't celebrate such a gay festival in a country to persecutes and tortures homosexuals and with laws that allow it to happen and encourage citizens to punish gays and lesbians. Imagine that many gay tourists around Moscow during that week! I'm sorry for Polina and even more sorry for the festival itself cause I think she might win, but she shouldn't.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 24 May 2015, 00:28

Spoiler: show
Russia v Sweden v Italy for the top, with voting just over half way through.
Stas

Postby Stas » 24 May 2015, 17:01

IER wrote:^It's not her fault, obviously. But Russia can't win. You can't celebrate such a gay festival in a country to persecutes and tortures homosexuals and with laws that allow it to happen and encourage citizens to punish gays and lesbians. Imagine that many gay tourists around Moscow during that week! I'm sorry for Polina and even more sorry for the festival itself cause I think she might win, but she shouldn't.

Such a gay festival, yet, a singer that has made homophobic statements in the past won the whole thing. Oh the irony... :D :dee:
Melancholie

Postby Melancholie » 24 May 2015, 17:13

Stas wrote:
IER wrote:^It's not her fault, obviously. But Russia can't win. You can't celebrate such a gay festival in a country to persecutes and tortures homosexuals and with laws that allow it to happen and encourage citizens to punish gays and lesbians. Imagine that many gay tourists around Moscow during that week! I'm sorry for Polina and even more sorry for the festival itself cause I think she might win, but she shouldn't.

Such a gay festival, yet, a singer that has made homophobic statements in the past won the whole thing. Oh the irony... :D :dee:

But he's cute, and surely knows how to use that to attract the gay audience.

I do think Russia should have won, despite the laws, they would have to loosen them up for a week or so. Or it would be ONE BIG homophobic scandal all around the world - maybe for the best?
wildhope
Previous username(s): crashworld

Postby wildhope » 24 May 2015, 18:43

Stas wrote:

I think everyone forgave him 'cause he apologized (as he said it was a mistake) and he's so easy on the eyes. Haha.

I feel sad for the Russian delegate, I don't know her personally but I would give her the benefit of doubt (as in assuming she is not against gay people). Getting boo'ed because her country's anti-gay laws, it's not really her fault, she just happened to be Russian.

I think this year's entries are of quality. No more nonsensical acts. My favourites were Serbia (love the song), Sweden (the performance is well-executed), Albania (it was a really good song, the singer was good if she managed to stay on the pitch), Germany (the song is great, I can't believe it received a ZERO!) and Estonia (it is just so different, thought reminded me of last year's Netherlands entry).

Notable entries: Australia (good song), Israel (finally in the finals, song is catchy), Austria (I thought it was good, can't believe it got a zero too), Slovenia (really good enty), Belarus (I don't understand why this song did not get through the finals, it was really good and Montenegro (my favourite non-English entry in the contest).
Stas

Postby Stas » 25 May 2015, 07:43

Melancholie wrote:
Stas wrote:

But he's cute, and surely knows how to use that to attract the gay audience.

I do think Russia should have won, despite the laws, they would have to loosen them up for a week or so. Or it would be ONE BIG homophobic scandal all around the world - maybe for the best?

There was a chat after the show in the studio where people said that they couldn't afford to win because of the economical and political situation in the country, plus, with all the anti-gay laws and so on, so it is for the best, I guess. Personally, I'm more than happy with a second place, just for the sake of Polina, not Russia. :) I hope it will help her to take her singing career to a new level.
Stas

Postby Stas » 25 May 2015, 07:49

wildhope wrote:
Stas wrote:

I think everyone forgave him 'cause he apologized (as he said it was a mistake) and he's so easy on the eyes. Haha.

I feel sad for the Russian delegate, I don't know her personally but I would give her the benefit of doubt (as in assuming she is not against gay people). Getting boo'ed because her country's anti-gay laws, it's not really her fault, she just happened to be Russian.

I think this year's entries are of quality. No more nonsensical acts. My favourites were Serbia (love the song), Sweden (the performance is well-executed), Albania (it was a really good song, the singer was good if she managed to stay on the pitch), Germany (the song is great, I can't believe it received a ZERO!) and Estonia (it is just so different, thought reminded me of last year's Netherlands entry).

Notable entries: Australia (good song), Israel (finally in the finals, song is catchy), Austria (I thought it was good, can't believe it got a zero too), Slovenia (really good enty), Belarus (I don't understand why this song did not get through the finals, it was really good and Montenegro (my favourite non-English entry in the contest).

I don't know if she is or not, she has never made any statements. She has always said that music is what matters for her, not the image or publicity. So I don't know... :)
Javi

Postby Javi » 25 May 2015, 13:27

Conchita Wurst was sit with Polina during the voting time, so I doubt Polina herself is an homophobe. Conchita probably knew her during the week and did that as a way to show some support like "hey, we support you, the constant booing is for your country, not your song".

And about the Swedish guy... I don't think he's an homophobe. If he was he wouldn't have hugged Conchita in the end. If you are racist, you would touch a black person, not even faking it. Same as homophobes parents don't fake supporting their sons/daughters and so on. I think he might be a bit of a prick and with some old-fashioned thoughts, but he actually respects homosexuality. I think there's a difference between "Men shouldn't love other men, it's not natural" and "The natural thing is that a man loves a woman, but everyone's free to love whoever they choose". Obviously the second option isn't that open minded, but it isn't that closed minded either as homophobia. And with the week he spent in Eurovision surrounded by gay people he might have changed his mind a bit.

We want homophobe people to change and open their minds and when they do we call them fake and hypocrites. It doesn't make much sense, does it?

Oh and I think everyone forgave him because they rather have a (supposedly) homophobe singer winning for an open-minded country than an open-minded singer winning for an homophobe country. :D
Tiiger

Postby Tiiger » 26 May 2015, 00:37

Just for the record - Måns is not homophobic. He's everything but homophobic, I'd say.

These are pics from when he hosted a gay gala in 2014. ;)

Yes, you may drool now. :D

"We are all heroes, no matter who we love or what we believe in."
Stas

Postby Stas » 26 May 2015, 09:07

He's made some comments about gays being "unnatural" and "abnormal" right before that gay gala, didn't he?

He explained that “it isn’t equally natural for men to want to sleep with one another” and called homosexuality an “avvikelse”, which can best be translated as an abnormality. He proceeded to explain that “there isn’t anything wrong with it at all, the more natural thing of course is that men and women make children together.”

Then he "apologized" right before the gala, which was a great promotion for him. And of course people who enjoy shirtless guys with no personality forgave him. All he had to do is to take his shirt off and host a gay gala and say "I'm sorry". :)

I don't know if his apologies were sincere or not, but the whole story is just a bit weird. You don't just make statements and then change your mind all of a sudden and apologize. :shrug:
Tiiger

Postby Tiiger » 26 May 2015, 10:05

^ This "statement" happened long after the gala. ;)
Stas

Postby Stas » 26 May 2015, 10:17

So he used the gay community for the publicity and then bashed them? That's a brilliant plan. :love: People should take notes.
-Raul-

Postby -Raul- » 27 May 2015, 22:41

I would like to know what you guys think about the Spanish entry (Edurne - Amanecer)
@ListenAnyway
kittie

Postby kittie » 01 Jun 2015, 21:16

^I only remember the red dress that turned into a nude one.

I loved Italy's entry!

Return to “Eurovision 09”