The Saturdays-On Your Radar

Pick up the board and post on it, spam up the place if you want it.
Jay
Mod

Re: The Saturdays-On Your Radar

Postby Jay » 18 Apr 2012, 13:18

They just risk releasing in the fourth quarter with the intention to benefit from the vastly increased sales, in a way it's a bit greedy! They don't realise that they're not exactly going to be the most desirable gift choice, when many huge names release around the same time! It rather suggests they think they're on par with big artists, but unfortunately they're not in the league they think they are.

They should have looked at the 'Headlines' late summer release and thought "that's a better strategy".

(Btw when I write 'they' it's a mixture of The Sats, management and label, lol).
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 18 Apr 2012, 13:25

It's weird to think they're going to release their 5th album this year already when their total amount of album sales doesn't even reach the million mark. One album per year, someone should tell them we're not in the 90s anymore :P
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Tiger
Custom Title: AKA Joe

Postby Tiger » 18 Apr 2012, 14:17

Jay wrote:They don't realise that they're not exactly going to be the most desirable gift choice, when many huge names release around the same time! It rather suggests they think they're on par with big artists, but unfortunately they're not in the league they think they are.

They should have looked at the 'Headlines' late summer release and thought "that's a better strategy".

(Btw when I write 'they' it's a mixture of The Sats, management and label, lol).

Its a shame because if they did release late summer they would at least give them impression they are on their way towards 'the big leagues'.

Hopefully the management has learnt their lesson and will do with this album.
SpiceFan2008
Custom Title: I JUST WANNA DANCE

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 18 Apr 2012, 14:42

There were probably many reasons why the album didn't do as as well as hoped:

1. The critical reception was mixed. I think some said they didn't have a clear direction, and that the album was too disjointed.
2. The album wasn't placed in areas of stores where customers could see. A really crap excuse, but I work at ASDA, and I'm sure we had it at our branch right near the bottom of the chart.
3. Wrong lead single. I adore My Heart Takes Over, but it really should have been released (the album) after All Fired Up
4. It was released at the wrong time. As we all have said numerous times, the Xmas market is so hard to crack, and if you don't do well in the first couple of weeks, there is no chance of reaching the higher places. As we have seen, if it was released this week, it would be at number 2, a highest peak for them, and good exposure.

But at the same time, this era should have 'worked'
1. The lead single 'Notorious' was well received by many people. It was just let down by the execution of 'On Air, On Sale'
2. They worked with heaps of producers, and people who have had loads of success, so it could have translated into sales/interest
3. About 8 different formats (HMV individual x5, Boxset, iTunes, Normal edition), which should have appealed to different people.
4. My personal opinion, it's a great album!
Tiger

Postby Tiger » 18 Apr 2012, 15:01

SpiceFan2008 wrote:There were probably many reasons why the album didn't do as as well as hoped:

1. The critical reception was mixed. I think some said they didn't have a clear direction, and that the album was too disjointed.
2. The album wasn't placed in areas of stores where customers could see. A really crap excuse, but I work at ASDA, and I'm sure we had it at our branch right near the bottom of the chart.
3. Wrong lead single. I adore My Heart Takes Over, but it really should have been released (the album) after All Fired Up
4. It was released at the wrong time. As we all have said numerous times, the Xmas market is so hard to crack, and if you don't do well in the first couple of weeks, there is no chance of reaching the higher places. As we have seen, if it was released this week, it would be at number 2, a highest peak for them, and good exposure.

1. The lead single 'Notorious' was well received by many people. It was just let down by the execution of 'On Air, On Sale'
2. They worked with heaps of producers, and people who have had loads of success, so it could have translated into sales/interest
3. About 8 different formats (HMV individual x5, Boxset, iTunes, Normal edition), which should have appealed to different people.

I'd also include a 5 on the 'it didn't work because' list:

5. The artwork wasn't eye-catching or reflective of the type of album it was. Like Wordshaker they had tried to do a 'mature' cover which doesn't jump out at you. People can argue that CL was 'mature' looking but to go from the look of Headlines to On Your Radar was quite a jump IMO!
Javi

Postby Javi » 18 Apr 2012, 16:06

They've always making mistakes and that's why they never seem to crack the UK market. We could make a never-ending list but I guess it all started with Ego.

- Giving up on the colours theme, which was their trademark.
- Changing the logo and then changing it back again.
- Giving up on Wordshaker after Ego became a big seller. Instead of taking advantage of the unexpected success of the song, they finished the Wordshaker era.
- Releasing Headlines! after the first single (Missing You).
- Releasing Higher in November when it had been selling for weeks and being Top30 on the chart 2 months in advance, instead of releasing it in September/October when the song was on its radio/media peak.
- Giving up on Headlines! instead of taking advantage of Higher that brought them back to the spotlight.
- Releasing Notorious on air / on sale.
- Unveil a brand new logo that looked like a better re-worked version of the original, just for one single.
- Going on holidays the week Notorious was released.
- Announce an arenas tour when the album wasn't even finished and they didn't have a moderate decent fanbase.
- Not releasing On Your Radar after All Fired Up.
- Choosing a ballad as the lead single for OYR.
- Not changing the single choice when Una anounced she was pregnant. She did it before they shot the video so anyone with a brain would've released another uptempo song, when she could still promote it properly.
- Giving up on On Your Radar when they still had Get Ready Get Set, which could've (imo) saved the era.
- Releasing a new single (30 Days) that is no better than most of the songs that were included on the previous album.

It seeems that almost every decission they make is done by a different person and doesn't connect/flow with what happebed before or is going to happen later on. Very unprofessional. They only good thing that has been properly done during their whole career is the music (which is a relief) and most music videos (not all). But the rest has been a total mess. From single choices, artworks, promotion, holidays, announcements, tours, etc.
Tiger

Postby Tiger » 18 Apr 2012, 16:11

Well said IER!

Its been said here for some time that for every right decision they make, they make another two/three wrong ones. :cry:
SpiceFan2008
Custom Title: I JUST WANNA DANCE

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 18 Apr 2012, 16:24

Tiger wrote:
SpiceFan2008 wrote:There were probably many reasons why the album didn't do as as well as hoped:

I'd also include a 5 on the 'it didn't work because' list:

5. The artwork wasn't eye-catching or reflective of the type of album it was. Like Wordshaker they had tried to do a 'mature' cover which doesn't jump out at you. People can argue that CL was 'mature' looking but to go from the look of Headlines to On Your Radar was quite a jump IMO!

I was going to put this, but I decided against it. But now you say it, I'd agree. Although, I do quite like the artwork :)
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 19 Apr 2012, 07:26

I agree with pretty much everything IER said. They consistantly make bad choices and if they make a good choice the ones after are bad so its like "One step forward 10 steps back"
gfere40
Custom Title: gfere40

Postby gfere40 » 19 Apr 2012, 17:03

Hi there,
I should say that this a fantastic album from Saturdays. I want to ask you something do u know when the group will visit Greece?

Grigoris
Tiger

Postby Tiger » 19 Apr 2012, 17:45

gfere40 wrote:Hi there,
I should say that this a fantastic album from Saturdays. I want to ask you something do u know when the group will visit Greece?

Grigoris

They've postponed Germany for about three years so i'd say your in for a wait :(
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 19 Apr 2012, 17:50

They've more chance of ending up in a cheap production of Grease than Greece nowadays.
Javi

Postby Javi » 19 Apr 2012, 18:52

Stitch wrote:They've more chance of ending up in a cheap production of Grease than Greece nowadays.

rotflmao
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 19 Apr 2012, 23:39

Stitch wrote:They've more chance of ending up in a cheap production of Grease than Greece nowadays.

LOL funny :laugh:
gfere40
Custom Title: gfere40

Postby gfere40 » 13 Jun 2012, 17:51

thank you very much Tiger for your reply

Grigoris

Tiger wrote:
gfere40 wrote:Hi there,

Grigoris

They've postponed Germany for about three years so i'd say your in for a wait :(

Return to “The Saturdays”