Frankie has revealed the reason behind her stint in rehab.

Pick up the board and post on it, spam up the place if you want it.
Jamie

Frankie has revealed the reason behind her stint in rehab.

Postby Jamie » 28 Mar 2012, 04:17

Popstar Frankie Sandford has spoken of her crippling battle against depression - admitting she was hospitalized in a last-ditch effort to beat the illness.

The Saturdays’ singer stopped eating, suffered panic attacks and spent endless hours alone in bed, plagued with “shameful” thoughts.

Discussing the condition, which has plagued her since the age of 15, she said: “I felt that I was worthless, that I was ugly, that I didn’t deserve anything.”

The 23-year-old, dating Sunderland footballer Wayne Bridge, was referred to a psychiatrist by the band’s doctor following a series of panic attacks, before checking into hospital at the end of last year.

She is now on medication to help her control the debilitating condition.

Fronting Mind charity’s It’s Ok campaign, she said: “It all started when I was about 15 or 16.

“I used to stay in bed a lot and had no motivation; I thought I was just being lazy.

“Since childhood I’ve been an over-thinker. I used to make myself sick with worry. I’d always have stomach aches and breathing problems.

“I didn’t do anything about it until it got to the stage when I was just coming home and going straight to bed. I wouldn’t have any dinner, I couldn’t talk to anyone.”

Frankie admits the breaking point came after going into meltdown... over some yogurt.

“Suddenly my illness had control over me,” she told Glamour magazine.

“I got upset because Wayne hadn’t bought the right yogurts; I managed to convince myself he didn’t know me at all.

“It set off this spiral of negative thinking – if I disappeared, it wouldn’t matter to anyone.

“In fact, it would make everybody’s life easier. I felt that I was worthless, that I was ugly, that I didn’t deserve anything.

“I had some counselling which helped for a while but then I stopped going when I felt better.”

In October the former S Club Juniors singer - who joined the band aged just 12 - was admitted into hospital.

Here, she attended both one on one sessions and group therapy.

Speaking about the experience, she said: “There was a part of me thinking I was putting it on, that I wasn’t properly sick, and only sick people should be in hospital.

“I thought that since mine was only a mind thing, I should snap out of it. I got so good at covering it up, I didn’t confide in anyone.

“I thought I was selfish, miserable and ungrateful. I’d been given this amazing life, but I wasn’t happy.

“I did lose myself, but I feel like me again now. But I try not to put pressure on myself – it’s unrealistic, no one is 100% happy all of the time.”

Frankie’s decision to go public with depression comes despite her legal team sending strongly-worded letters at the time warning newspapers against stories about her treatment.

They insisted it was an invasion of her privacy and a breach of the Press Complaints Commission code.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/depression-made-frankie-sandford-feel-773988
Jay
Mod

Re: Frankie has revealed the reason behind her stint in reha

Postby Jay » 28 Mar 2012, 06:10

That's a shame. :(

I remember a lot of fans wondered whether it was depression related issues.
Veli
Custom Title: The Piccie King

Postby Veli » 28 Mar 2012, 08:09

Aww, I'd have never thought it'd be that. She seems so full of life with The Sats. But I should know better actually.

Damn, now I kinda like her :D
Stewie
Previous username(s): CharlesEt
Custom Title: Griffin

Postby Stewie » 28 Mar 2012, 10:34

Although depression is complicated, I wonder how ugly/poor/lonely girls might feel while reading this. Lots of less fortunate girls would like to see Frankie walk a mile in their shoes.

It may sound a bit insensible, but it's tough to accept all this from a beautiful, rich and popular 23 years old popstar.

It's not really a 2007ney kind of situation..
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 28 Mar 2012, 13:12

Poor Frankie.

I feel her though. I had an anxiety/panic attack on thursday night and I have been recovering from it since then. I can relate to a lot of the things she felt (although I didn't stop eating and didn't have such a terrible thoughts). Depression can be the worst nightmare ever and I hope I won't reach that level.

It's hard to think she was suffering that much over this years. They literally haven't had any holiday longer than 2 months. They are always performing and releasing singles so it makes you wonder how many times she was medicated and we didn't know it (I guess we could say the same about Melanie C).

It shows money and fame aren't everything and you're still a normal person, with the same kind of problems and issues as the rest of the world.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 28 Mar 2012, 23:07

I feel sorry for her thats a horrible place to be in mentally.
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 28 Mar 2012, 23:33

Poor Frankie, nice to read she's getting better. Still its sad though, I feel for her.
SpiceFan2008
Custom Title: I JUST WANNA DANCE

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 28 Mar 2012, 23:39

I'm really proud of Frankie. It's mustn't have been easy for her to disclose such a personal thing to the nation, but I reckon she will be happy to explain.
Also, she is pushing awareness about depression, and that can only be a positive thing.
It's also raising the profile of the band, as she is a member to which people can relate to. Recently, their PR and how they are coming across in interviews and TV appearances have been the best since the band began really (that sounds REALLY shallow, and bad I know...)

I remember the performance of Notorious at the Arthur's Day festival in Ireland, and she looked so bored, and as if she was going through the motions, and I thought to myself then that something wasn't right.

Also, to pinpoint further, do you notice how she has suffered it from the age of about 15/16, around the time of the S Club 8 split. Maybe she couldn't cope with being 'normal', and that she couldn't cope with a void that had been left with the demise of S Club 8?
Sunshiner
Custom Title: I Do Believe You.

Postby Sunshiner » 29 Mar 2012, 02:22

I feel bad for Frankie... Feeling like that really sucks... :(

It's scary how much I can relate to this... Frankie always did remind me of myself..
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 29 Mar 2012, 14:51

SpiceFan2008 wrote:Also, to pinpoint further, do you notice how she has suffered it from the age of about 15/16, around the time of the S Club 8 split. Maybe she couldn't cope with being 'normal', and that she couldn't cope with a void that had been left with the demise of S Club 8?

I think that would be the reason too. Going from a popstar then literally dumped back into reality probably made her feel awful - much in the way that when B*Witched were dropped that Keavy suffered from major depression.

Return to “The Saturdays”