The Saturdays

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
sammy01

Re: The Saturdays

Postby sammy01 » 14 Mar 2017, 03:41

Well it isn't like she has loads of platinum discs to hang on the wall these days.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
tommie

Postby tommie » 14 Mar 2017, 05:27

"Controversy". How nice of DailyHateMail to give her much needed promo.
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 14 Mar 2017, 06:55

Looks like it's written in shit.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 01 Apr 2017, 23:08

Vanessa on a Saturdays reunion

I don't think I could go back," she said. "I've got so much that I want to do. There's no space mentally for me to go back.

"As time goes on, I know it just wouldn't feel right for me,"

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a8 ... s-reunion/
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 01 Apr 2017, 23:39

I guess that's fair enough. The group lasted a long while and if she's no longer passionate about it at all, then there's no point going back to it.

I have to admit in the near 3 years since they last did something together, I've not particularly missed them. They had a good run and they put out a lot of music! They were fizzling out and it didn't seem like there was much passion left towards the end. Also I found their last studio album to be their worst, very inconsistent sounding and generally directionless.

----

I've yet to be impressed by Vanessa's solo material! :( I like R&B music, but I found her music to be... nondescript.

It seems Mollie's solo career stalled... it's already been 7 months since 'Back to You'! A shame, the potential was there for a good pop album from her. Although I feel like she made a mistake to go with a somewhat serious sounding first single. She needed her own 'Sweet Dreams My LA Ex' moment.

Una's album was nice enough, but it lacked any stand outs. It was all pleasant in a forgettable way. Country-tinged folk pop isn't really my cup of tea.

A shame that neither Frankie or Rochelle seem to be interested in music any more. :(
GZ10

Postby GZ10 » 03 Apr 2017, 12:14

I don't understand all the hate for "Living For The Weekend". I think this album is honestly one of their best. I still listen to so many songs from this album and "On Your Radar" (which I think we all can agree is their best album)
tommie

Postby tommie » 03 Apr 2017, 12:20

Did anyone expect them to "reunite"?

The group ended because there was no interest in them. They fizzled out. It's not like they're the Spice Girls where there is any interest for them to reunite.
kamel

Postby kamel » 03 Apr 2017, 13:15

Jay wrote:I guess that's fair enough. The group lasted a long while and if she's no longer passionate about it at all, then there's no point going back to it.

I have to admit in the near 3 years since they last did something together, I've not particularly missed them. They had a good run and they put out a lot of music! They were fizzling out and it didn't seem like there was much passion left towards the end. Also I found their last studio album to be their worst, very inconsistent sounding and generally directionless.

----

I've yet to be impressed by Vanessa's solo material! :( I like R&B music, but I found her music to be... nondescript.

It seems Mollie's solo career stalled... it's already been 7 months since 'Back to You'! A shame, the potential was there for a good pop album from her. Although I feel like she made a mistake to go with a somewhat serious sounding first single. She needed her own 'Sweet Dreams My LA Ex' moment.

Una's album was nice enough, but it lacked any stand outs. It was all pleasant in a forgettable way. Country-tinged folk pop isn't really my cup of tea.

A shame that neither Frankie or Rochelle seem to be interested in music any more. :(

Rochelle is a tv host now, Una is a judge on The Voice Ireland, idk about the others :shrug:
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 03 Apr 2017, 13:17

Yeah surely they themselves know there is no demand to reunite any way. They tried to revive their fizzling out career with the GH release (like how girls aloud did) but even that was met with apathy. They surely know no studio album is going to do anything but tank these days too.

I guess in 5 years if a big reunion type tv show comes along or some nostalgia tour of debunked bands happens they would probably happily take the paycheque but know that is about all that is left that they can squeeze out of being the Saturdays.

Steps and Spice girls ended when there was still demand for them which is why that demand lives on as people still feel they either didn't get to see them tour or didn't get enough material out of them.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
forever_spice_boy01
Custom Title: i like boys

Postby forever_spice_boy01 » 04 Apr 2017, 05:41

funny how the 2 who had the most potential to have a successful solo career out of the bunch didn't even bother.
Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Apr 2017, 12:18

forever_spice_boy01 wrote:funny how the 2 who had the most potential to have a successful solo career out of the bunch didn't even bother.

Frankie is Victoria of the Sats, she always will be the one without voice (even though we all know Geri's voice was weaker back in the day).
LMLY

Postby LMLY » 04 Apr 2017, 15:34

I don't think people would even have that much nostalgia for The Saturdays even for a mini reunion. Even their biggest hit - What About Us - feels largely forgotten now. I know it was boosted by streaming (despite not even actually doing that well on streaming) but even Little Mix's #11 selling single Love Me Like You has outsold What About Us.

They don't have that one HUGE hit everyone knows like most girlgroups like Sound of the Underground, Wannabe, 2 Become 1, Spice Up Your Life, The Promise, Never Ever, Pure Shores, About You Now, Black Magic, Shout Out To My Ex, Whole Again, Push The Button, Survivor, Independent Women and even Work From Home etc etc.... Nobody would be here for a Saturdays reunion, sadly, as their singles discography is very strong.
Last edited by LMLY on 04 Apr 2017, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 04 Apr 2017, 15:42

^^^ Not sure I'd agree that their singles discography isn't very strong. I think it's jam packed with lots of killer pop songs and only one cover version which is impressive.
Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Apr 2017, 18:11

schizophonic_spice wrote:^^^ Not sure I'd agree that their singles discography isn't very strong. I think it's jam packed with lots of killer pop songs and only one cover version which is impressive.

But the poster says "sadly as it's very strong"! :dizzy: :confused:
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 04 Apr 2017, 18:23

The Spice Girls wrote:
forever_spice_boy01 wrote:funny how the 2 who had the most potential to have a successful solo career out of the bunch didn't even bother.

Frankie is Victoria of the Sats, she always will be the one without voice (even though we all know Geri's voice was weaker back in the day).

She still was the one with the most potential because she was the most famous one (+ Rochelle) because of their S Club 8 past.

And it wouldn't be the first time "the one with no voice" is successful. Look at Cheryl and Geri.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 04 Apr 2017, 19:05

The Spice Girls wrote:
schizophonic_spice wrote:^^^ Not sure I'd agree that their singles discography isn't very strong. I think it's jam packed with lots of killer pop songs and only one cover version which is impressive.

But the poster says "sadly as it's very strong"! :dizzy: :confused:

I assumed they meant to write isn't??? If not I apologise and agree.
LMLY

Postby LMLY » 04 Apr 2017, 21:47

Yes, I did indeed mean their discography is strong, for the time being I still think it's stronger than Little Mix's (Even though Little Mix are better in every other area and they are building a great discography now).

Just, as an act they never quite popped. They always seemed on the very edge of having proper mainstream success and kind of plodded along. Nothing they ever did seems to have stuck with the GP, despite them probably vaguely remembering some of their bigger hits.
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 04 Apr 2017, 22:24

Mollie is not signed with Daf Jam anymore but with Warner music.
DaniSpiceBoy

Postby DaniSpiceBoy » 04 Apr 2017, 23:13

She was signed to Island Records. Not sure what happened with her deal though.
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 05 Apr 2017, 07:24

I think the Saturdays didn't really have that signature hit thst most other girl groups had (as stated above) however they managed to have a string of decent pop hits which is a success in its own right.

I think everything they did , sound and image wise was very safe and despite appearing as five beautiful women , I just think they didn't have that little something extra that other big girl bands had.
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 09 Apr 2017, 09:18

Vanessa released her 2nd EP, Chapter Two. It's not too bad. The 2 EP's mashed up would make a decent album.
Dave87

Postby Dave87 » 09 Apr 2017, 16:19

I liked both her EPs too. I wish she would have done a full album but I get why she's done it this way. Album sales are in the toilet for everyone and this would definitely be cheaper and the return greater.
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 09 Apr 2017, 22:04

So I listened to Una's album for the first time today (didn't bother downloading it, but I noticed it was streaming on Apple Music) and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would based on the comments I had read on here. So I checked out Vanessa's EP's as well, not my cup of tea.... but of course, good luck to her. They both felt very generic in their own respective genres. But The Saturday's as a group were fairly generic, weren't they? Not the best, but not bad. Like someone else just said, they just didn't stand out.
forever_spice_boy01
Custom Title: i like boys

Postby forever_spice_boy01 » 10 Apr 2017, 01:06

tbh I think what happened with the Saturdays is that their personal lives became more of a priority for them, so they just weren't as committed to the group. I would say its much harder to be in a group vs. solo when it comes to scheduling conflicts because you have to coordinate around everyone and their personal lives. Especially with a group like the sats because a few of the members wanting to "settle down" was more of a priority than the success of the group. They definitely could have kept going I think if they stuck to a radio friendly pop sound and stepped away from the EDM driven stuff but I think by that time Frankie, una, and Rochelle were pregnant/mothers and would have preferred to have a less hectic schedule and more stability (in terms of travel).
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 10 Apr 2017, 02:39

forever_spice_boy01 wrote:tbh I think what happened with the Saturdays is that their personal lives became more of a priority for them, so they just weren't as committed to the group. I would say its much harder to be in a group vs. solo when it comes to scheduling conflicts because you have to coordinate around everyone and their personal lives. Especially with a group like the sats because a few of the members wanting to "settle down" was more of a priority than the success of the group. They definitely could have kept going I think if they stuck to a radio friendly pop sound and stepped away from the EDM driven stuff but I think by that time Frankie, una, and Rochelle were pregnant/mothers and would have preferred to have a less hectic schedule and more stability (in terms of travel).

I would agree that it was definitely a combination of that with everything else. When Una got pregnant, I knew the end was in sight, even though they tried America afterward. Then Rochelle got pregnant and I knew it was imminent. Then didn't Frankie get pregnant before Rochelle even had hers? That was the nail in the coffin right there. I was hoping I would be proved wrong and they would continue, as I enjoyed some/most of their music. The babies combined with the decline in sales, their weird record deal (wasn't there something strange about it? I can't really recall right now.) was just a recipe for an end, and so it was.

They have some really nice songs that I still enjoy, On Your Radar was my fav album for quite some time. (FASTER was a big missed opportunity!) However, I don't like most of the last album, and other than the single, I can't even recall the other new song(s?) on the greatest hits album.

Return to “Music”