Girls Aloud

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Re: Girls Aloud

Postby Javi » 21 Oct 2016, 00:00

If 0 is The Saturdays and 10 is the Spice Girls, Girls Aloud where a 6 or 7 in the UK. Their success, fame and recognition was closer to the Spice Girls than The Saturdays.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 21 Oct 2016, 00:18

Something New still sounds so good today.

It should have been the last single though. Beautiful should have remained an album track.
Fanatik
Previous username(s): Marcito

Postby Fanatik » 21 Oct 2016, 01:17

I´m a huge fan of On The Metro so I think that should have been a single with a killer video!
----------------------------------------------
See my music collection at

http://www.discogs.com/user/marcio.miotto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 21 Oct 2016, 05:44

Fanatik wrote:I´m a huge fan of On The Metro so I think that should have been a single with a killer video!

YES I just thought about this today. It could have been so good.
Mikerecords
Previous username(s): -Mike-
Custom Title: The 004

Postby Mikerecords » 21 Oct 2016, 07:59

But Beautiful wasn't really a single, right? In the end I mean.
THE sequel to GEM's "Song For Her"...
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeKNs7v1ONA
The 'Song For Me' release date is scheduled for May 16.
The single will be released on online channels including Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, Beatport and more.

http://www.instagram.com/the004official
Fanatik
Previous username(s): Marcito

Postby Fanatik » 21 Oct 2016, 20:43

Brett wrote:
Fanatik wrote:I´m a huge fan of On The Metro so I think that should have been a single with a killer video!

YES I just thought about this today. It could have been so good.

I can imagine the video, all purple and blue, just like the live performance. Very eletric, sexy, with them on a dancefloor flerting with guys and then going to the tube performing that cool dance routine.

I fucking love that song, specially live!!
----------------------------------------------
See my music collection at

http://www.discogs.com/user/marcio.miotto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 21 Oct 2016, 21:08

Mikerecords wrote:But Beautiful wasn't really a single, right? In the end I mean.

of course it was, but if it,s more convenient to brush a flop under the carpet then go right ahead x
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 22 Oct 2016, 03:43

I wish they had put out a cd single for Beautiful or even some official artwork for a digital release.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 22 Oct 2016, 04:56

There's a lot of aspects to 'Beautiful Cause You Love Me' which didn't seem typically "single" compared to their previous form.

Like addicted2you said, as well as some other points I raise:

- No CD single, their only "single" not to be issued physically.
- No digital single release - only available to download via 'Ten'.
- No artwork.
- No remixes.
- No official promo single / CD-R.
- Radio & TV rotation was extremely limited... I'm not totally convinced it was officially sent to radio, but I can't say for sure.

What supports it being regarded as a single - promotion! Two televised performances (Children In Need and TOTP Xmas Special), it was included in their Jingle Bell Ball set, and also performed on Radio One's Live Lounge. And, of course, there is the music video and the lyrics video.

It peaking at #97 occurred just a week after 'Something New' entered at #2 (and the same week 'Ten' was released). I think it charting at that position was mostly down to them having performed it on Children In Need, on 16th Nov '12 - ten whole days before the song was available to download. There was also a lyrics video, uploaded on 13th Nov '12... so two weeks of the song being "out there" but unavailable to buy. #97 is essentially the result of minor pent-up demand off the back of a performance that occurred many days before.

I do find it strange that 'Something New' was treated in much the same way as all of their prior releases (physicals, artwork, remixes, playlisted etc), for them to then not do that for Beautiful Cause You Love Me, so soon afterwards? Why not make the same effort? :Dizzy: Doesn't make much sense to me.

Do I regard it as a single? While I feel somewhat iffy about it for all of the above reasons, I nevertheless do include it in my Girls Aloud singles playlist on iTunes. It was just a very messy ending to their discography, and this could easily have been avoided. :( Something I find odd with hindsight is just how intertwined Something New & Beautiful Cause You Love Me actually were. Both received their first performances on the same show (Children In Need, 16th November 2012). The proximity almost made it feel like they were pushing a Double A side!

I wish they'd put all their efforts into 'Something New' as their only single for 2012, and left 'BCYLM' well alone. Then I'd have had them release 'On The Metro' in early 2013 (properly, with artwork, physicals/digital EP etc), in the run up to the tour.
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 22 Oct 2016, 08:03

Very similar to St Trinians Theme, had a video and release through the soundtrack and charted, but wouldn't consider that a proper single.
forever_spice_boy01
Custom Title: i like boys

Postby forever_spice_boy01 » 29 Oct 2016, 05:13

do you guys feel like their progression and maturity in their music happened quite fast? i mean not just them but sugababes as well.

like their style of music/lyrics/image in (2007-2008) made them seem much older than they actually were.

i'm looking back at older performances of them during the out of control/tangled up/change/c&s eras and everything made them look like they were in their late 20's or early 30's but they were all in their early to mid 20's.

like i compare them to little mix who all look like their age in their videos
tommie

Postby tommie » 30 Oct 2016, 02:15

Javi wrote:If 0 is The Saturdays and 10 is the Spice Girls, Girls Aloud where a 6 or 7 in the UK. Their success, fame and recognition was closer to the Spice Girls than The Saturdays.

Slags R' Foul had zero international success. Clearly everyone hates them except the brainwashed UK ppl. x
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 30 Oct 2016, 19:20

tommie wrote:
Javi wrote:If 0 is The Saturdays and 10 is the Spice Girls, Girls Aloud where a 6 or 7 in the UK. Their success, fame and recognition was closer to the Spice Girls than The Saturdays.

Slags R' Foul had zero international success. Clearly everyone hates them except the brainwashed UK ppl. x
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
kamel

Postby kamel » 02 Nov 2016, 00:23

Nicola looks great at Pride of Britain awards :)

Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 02 Nov 2016, 01:46

great promo xx
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 02 Nov 2016, 18:57

Kweeeeeeen
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 02 Jan 2017, 16:27

The life got cold lyrics

"We smoke as we choke as we sink another Coke and we grin when it blows our mind" - is that a drug reference? I've never paid much notice to it, I know they aren't singing about cola, but there isn't another meaning/slang for Coke right? If that's the case, was that ever brought up that a girl band with 16 year olds singing bout drugs?

Tho only a year or so later they listed every type of alcohol in Wake Me Up/Swinging London Town
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 02 Jan 2017, 16:40

It is meant to be coke as in the drink obviously.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 02 Jan 2017, 17:51

Yeah it's a reference to Cola Cola.
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 03 Jan 2017, 02:32

Yea the following line , we grin as it blows our minds... I don't get how a cola blows someone's mind? :/
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 04 Jan 2017, 18:05

Regarding the coke line - you 'take' the drug, you don't 'sink another coke' as 'coke' as the drug isn't one single tablet, it's powder so you can't just 'sink another coke', it can only refer to the drink. Blowing their minds could refer to the caffiene high that that beverage contains. But if we're taking things literally I guess we should call the RSPCA on them then as they were wrapping up cats in gift paper! They were jumping on the property of ballerinas - the bullies! Shaming transvestites for liking to wear their dressing gowns! Stopping people watching their favourite TV programmes because they didn't want people to see them?

TL;DR: Girls Aloud's lyrics didn't make sense. Don't read into it.
Alexpc

Postby Alexpc » 23 Feb 2017, 10:46

"We smoke as we choke as we sink another Coke and we grin when it blows our mind"...

Could be about weed, they smoke and choke (marijuana makes some people cough badly), then drink some coca cola to help the throat dryness after smoking, and then GRIN when it blows their mind.
"It" Referring to the weed mentioned earlier, not the coke. Weed makes people laugh so it makes more sense that it's talking about marijuana than about cocaine.
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 23 Feb 2017, 13:21

who knows.

The track wasn't written for Girls Aloud in mind and was a last addition to the SOTU album (if I remember correctly)
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 23 Feb 2017, 20:28

It's a throwaway Girls Aloud lyric it doesn't 'mean' anything
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 23 Feb 2017, 22:19

Yeah I cant believe you are looking for hidden drug meanings in Girls Aloud lyrics lol
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01

Return to “Music”