Janet Jackson

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
BootyliciousJosh

Re: Janet Jackson

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 10 May 2016, 03:04

^ I remember that rumor around the time Velvet Rope came out.
masahiro

Postby masahiro » 16 Jun 2016, 15:45

Sad
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 16 Jun 2016, 20:48

:'(
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 09 Sep 2016, 17:26

Mod Edit: Discussion began in this topic: viewtopic.php?p=4101585#p4101585 - replies have been moved to this topic.
Hannes84 wrote:As a Janet Jackson fan, I've been played with for no less than ten years. Promises of tours, new singles, new movies, clothing lines, albums, duet and so on... And what do the fans get? One album, after 7 years. No promo, no interviews, nothing. Just another canceled tour (I think this is the 3rd time) and more unfulfilled promises of the tour re-launching soon. It's not easy.

Last year Janet Jackson gave her fans her best album in 18 years. You're complaining about that? Come on now.
"Don't you break my heart. It's so plain to see that you should PM me.
Don't you break my heart. If these leaks should end I will never post again"
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 09 Sep 2016, 21:45

How is Janet,s baby doing? Any news? :think: x
Hannes84
Custom Title: ChiariWarrior

Postby Hannes84 » 12 Sep 2016, 11:40

Sideout wrote:Last year Janet Jackson gave her fans her best album in 18 years. You're complaining about that? Come on now.

Did you even read what I wrote? Topic of my post: Broken promises (made by an artist), and frustration related to it. Your response: She did this, tho!

Yeah, she released her album last year and it was #1 in USA for one week till it dropped and dropped. Nowhere to be seen in the rest of the world. The album sold less than any of her albums to date - her first 2 unsuccessful albums taken into account. Yes, the music was the best she had released since AFY, but that was all we got from her. More promises of a world tour, which never happened (3rd time in row, must be a world record), a promise of a "New movement" - never happened... No promotion of any kind outside USA. No interviews, no proper single releases and two music videos that were seen by you and me. If you want to give your fans something, you need to make an effort. There was no effort made here.
I often look upon the stars, darling. Which one's yours?
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 12 Sep 2016, 13:14

Hannes84 wrote:
Sideout wrote:Last year Janet Jackson gave her fans her best album in 18 years. You're complaining about that? Come on now.

Did you even read what I wrote? Topic of my post: Broken promises (made by an artist), and frustration related to it. Your response: She did this, tho!

Yeah, she released her album last year and it was #1 in USA for one week till it dropped and dropped. Nowhere to be seen in the rest of the world. The album sold less than any of her albums to date - her first 2 unsuccessful albums taken into account. Yes, the music was the best she had released since AFY, but that was all we got from her. More promises of a world tour, which never happened (3rd time in row, must be a world record), a promise of a "New movement" - never happened... No promotion of any kind outside USA. No interviews, no proper single releases and two music videos that were seen by you and me. If you want to give your fans something, you need to make an effort. There was no effort made here.

Janet's days of commercial success died after the Super Bowl incident. She has been black listed in the U.S. ever since. Why would you think she would have commercial success now? She tried to revive her career with 20 Y.O. and Discipline, but failed. Janet fans should be grateful they got another album after Discipline.

Artists promise things to fans all the time and they never come to fruition. Just enjoy the music you do get and be happy with that.
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 12 Sep 2016, 15:38

Sideout wrote:
Hannes84 wrote:

Janet's days of commercial success died after the Super Bowl incident. She has been black listed in the U.S. ever since. Why would you think she would have commercial success now? She tried to revive her career with 20 Y.O. and Discipline, but failed. Janet fans should be grateful they got another album after Discipline.

Artists promise things to fans all the time and they never come to fruition. Just enjoy the music you do get and be happy with that.

The problem was not Super Bowl. I'm sorry, I know American fans love to use that as an excuse, but the thing is, she flopped globally after AFY. And European radio didn't ban her at all. Just a little while was played every hour, even All Night got a lot of radio play. The music was always too little too late. What most fans wanted by 2001- we received it in 2008. Even Janet admitted that the problem with Damita Jo was nothing else but the music itself. But what followed was even worse. 20 YO. Discipline was a major improvement but it really had only a few decent songs on it.

I've enjoyed Unbreakable a great deal, even Jimmy favs my tweets all the time. But the reality is, the music is to blame. Promotion is to blame. Not Super Bowl, not age, not gender. Music.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 12 Sep 2016, 22:16

Hannes84 wrote:The problem was not Super Bowl. I'm sorry, I know American fans love to use that as an excuse, but the thing is, she flopped globally after AFY. And European radio didn't ban her at all. Just a little while was played every hour, even All Night got a lot of radio play. The music was always too little too late. What most fans wanted by 2001- we received it in 2008. Even Janet admitted that the problem with Damita Jo was nothing else but the music itself. But what followed was even worse. 20 YO. Discipline was a major improvement but it really had only a few decent songs on it.

I've enjoyed Unbreakable a great deal, even Jimmy favs my tweets all the time. But the reality is, the music is to blame. Promotion is to blame. Not Super Bowl, not age, not gender. Music.

You're crazy if you think the Super Bowl incident didn't contribute to Janet's demise commercially. Damita Jo would have done well if the Super Bowl incident never happened. That album is very RNB. It would have fit right in with the mid 2000's RNB craze.

Janet was never as big in Europe as her peers (Michael, Madonna, etc.). The U.S. was her bread and butter.
Jer

Postby Jer » 12 Sep 2016, 23:43

Sideout wrote:
Hannes84 wrote:The problem was not Super Bowl. I'm sorry, I know American fans love to use that as an excuse, but the thing is, she flopped globally after AFY. And European radio didn't ban her at all. Just a little while was played every hour, even All Night got a lot of radio play. The music was always too little too late. What most fans wanted by 2001- we received it in 2008. Even Janet admitted that the problem with Damita Jo was nothing else but the music itself. But what followed was even worse. 20 YO. Discipline was a major improvement but it really had only a few decent songs on it.

You're crazy if you think the Super Bowl incident didn't contribute to Janet's demise commercially. Damita Jo would have done well if the Super Bowl incident never happened. That album is very RNB. It would have fit right in with the mid 2000's RNB craze.

Janet was never as big in Europe as her peers (Michael, Madonna, etc.). The U.S. was her bread and butter.

I agree. There was a considerable backlash against Janet. People began to see her as a sexual stunt queen. I think it put a pretty big stain on her career and people taking her seriously.
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 13 Sep 2016, 06:58

Sideout wrote:

Actually, nope. Janet was at the peak of her career in Europe during AFY. She was huge from janet till afy. And Europe did not blacklist nor ban her due to Super Bowl-quite the opposite. She got free promo and everyone thought it was funny how hypocritical the US is. Yet, all of her albums failed. So, again.. Music was to blame internationally, nothing else.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 13 Sep 2016, 11:05

I've moved the Janet related posts from Geri's "Shelved Albums Thread", please continue discussing Janet in this thread.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 13 Sep 2016, 13:15

Hannes84 wrote:
Sideout wrote:

Actually, nope. Janet was at the peak of her career in Europe during AFY. She was huge from janet till afy. And Europe did not blacklist nor ban her due to Super Bowl-quite the opposite. She got free promo and everyone thought it was funny how hypocritical the US is. Yet, all of her albums failed. So, again.. Music was to blame internationally, nothing else.

How was she at her peak in Europe with All For You? The only European country the album went platinum in was the UK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_for_Y ... kson_album)

Also, you don't know what you're talking about if you think the music itself is the sole reason why it's a hit or not. There are multiple reasons why a song becomes a hit.
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 13 Sep 2016, 14:08

Sideout wrote:
Hannes84 wrote:
Sideout wrote:

How was she at her peak in Europe with All For You? The only European country the album went platinum in was the UK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_for_Y ... kson_album)

Also, you don't know what you're talking about if you think the music itself is the sole reason why it's a hit or not. There are multiple reasons why a song becomes a hit.

She was at the peak of her career due to radio play, music video rotation, commercial success, tour anticipation, media attention and coverage. It started with janet.album, blew up with The Velvet Rope and really spread globally during AFY era.

And no, it's not simply about the music. Other things like promotion, image, the artist's ability to connect with her fans and media coverage also add to it. But when you've got all of those and your album (Damita Jo) and singles still flop, it's the music. Like she herself, has admitted. Very much like Victoria Beckham, Janet also stepped away from the lime light after her efforts got critically panned and were commercially unsuccessful in every country on this planet.
As an European fan, it was painful for me to watch how she was becoming a global brand, an icon like Madonna and her brother, and then all of a sudden she flopped and made some extremely poor career moves in order to try and stay relevant. JD was the last nail in her coffin - career-wise. Now she could show her boobs via instagram and not one paper would write about it overseas. With Unbreakable, she had a chance to re-connect, but I don't think she cares anymore. She is older, and now pregnant so family is her priority.

Unbreakable is her least selling album to date. Even the debut album "Janet Jackson" has sold more copies. In my opinion the album was amazing but very outdated, and due to lack of any kind of promo and going independent the album received very little attention. Flyers and posters do not cut it today, especially if you've lost your icon status way before you went on a long hiatus. Had she done the same right after AFY, we'd have another successful album in our hands.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 13 Sep 2016, 18:29

I can't take you serious when you say such things as, "Unbreakable is dated." I'm done with this discussion.
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 14 Sep 2016, 03:12

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:How is Janet,s baby doing? Any news? :think: x

She's on bed rest for high risk pregnancy :(
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 14 Sep 2016, 07:13

confirmed?
tommie

Postby tommie » 14 Sep 2016, 07:24

Well, she's 50.

But then again, this is not her first pregnancy.
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 14 Sep 2016, 07:30

tommie wrote:Well, she's 50.

But then again, this is not her first pregnancy.

1) Not confirmed, but makes sense.

2) Nobody knows if she has or hasn't been pregnant. This is one of those crazy rumors started by her ex husband about how she had their child abortedor something.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 14 Sep 2016, 07:34

unless she live streams the birth I am highly suspicious of this pregnancy. she hasn,t been seen for months so no bump pictures; if a baby appears out of nowhere it will be surrogate or catalogue purchase x
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 14 Sep 2016, 07:41

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:unless she live streams the birth I am highly suspicious of this pregnancy. she hasn,t been seen for months so no bump pictures; if a baby appears out of nowhere it will be surrogate or catalogue purchase x

There was an official announcement and one picture of her looking bigger. She's been hiding before and after the Unbreakable "era" (if u can call it that), so it's no surprise there are no pics of her, since she is in Middle East. Apparently she froze her eggs when she was still fertile, and that's how they made magic happen.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 14 Sep 2016, 07:51

This is Janet Jackson. She looks bigger every time there,s a movie role weight loss endorsement break in her schedule x
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 14 Sep 2016, 07:56

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:This is Janet Jackson. She looks bigger every time there,s a movie role weight loss endorsement break in her schedule x

LMAO true. But I really don't see a point in lying about her pregnancy.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 14 Sep 2016, 08:08

Ask Beyonce x
Hannes84

Postby Hannes84 » 15 Sep 2016, 06:20

Sideout wrote:I can't take you serious when you say such things as, "Unbreakable is dated." I'm done with this discussion.

The only some-what up-to-date song on Ubreakable is Should've Known Better, for it's 20 seconds of EDM. The rest of it is very retro and very 90's. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

Return to “Music”