Katy Perry

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
Narrator
Custom Title: elephant in the room

Re: Katy Perry

Postby Narrator » 15 Feb 2017, 22:04

Jamie wrote:Yeah it sucks when you can't mock someone's mental health for years

Oh please, the head shaving incident was a million years ago and it became an iconic pop culture "moment". It's a reference/joke that everyone will get, hence why she's mentioned it a handful of times over the years. If anything I'd be offended that her joke's so dated. :laugh:
I doubt Britney even cares, it's just her fans trying to make her more relevant by attacking a more currently successful popstar, along with the usual internet social warriors that get offended by everything. Boring!
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 15 Feb 2017, 22:06

It's not really a big deal she was trying to be funny about it and that's all so I don't get the drama over it
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 15 Feb 2017, 22:46

Narrator wrote:Her new song's awesome, great vibe, great messsage.

Yah. At firstI though it was gonna be some "light, fun song" but the lyrics are quite deep. I like it as well as the artwork around it.
Spice & Solo stuff for sale here
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 15 Feb 2017, 23:21

Well, I think Britney cares... that's why she replied with a tweet...

Well, it doesn't tag Katy but it's obvious
Narrator

Postby Narrator » 16 Feb 2017, 00:23

PeruvianSpice wrote:Well, I think Britney cares... that's why she replied with a tweet...

Well, it doesn't tag Katy but it's obvious

Sure, I'm positive she's losing sleep about it :death:
Rocky

Postby Rocky » 16 Feb 2017, 05:35

Are you saying that there is BAD BLOOD between Katy and Britney?! Interesting...
addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 16 Feb 2017, 13:18

There is no bad blood between them. Katy made a few small jokes and Britneys "response" was a few tweets that showed she gave 0 fucks. I think people care more than Katy/Britney do.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 16 Feb 2017, 13:29

I doubt Britney's tweet was even written by her. It's funny how most of the time people say she doesn't write her own tweets, but now that they want they to fight and throw the fandoms in a battle, it suits them to say she wrote it. As if she would bother searching for a Bible quote (or remember it!). It was probably someone from her team that thought a little controversy wouldn't hurt.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 16 Feb 2017, 14:09

Narrator and Javi said exactly what I think about it. Anyone getting offended by what Katy said need to get out more.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 16 Feb 2017, 15:16

Her performance at the Grammy's made my ears bleed. Could this woman take at least some singing lessons or sing songs that doesn't involve her vocals?! Judging from that interview, she doesn't seem that smart either.
Fenrik
Custom Title: OSLOVE

Postby Fenrik » 16 Feb 2017, 18:14

That joke was obviously just meant from her as something funny. I`m pretty sure she didn`t actually say that to hurt Britney`s feelings or anything.
And yes, Britney probably gives ZERO fucks about that anyway. If she`s even heard about it? I feel that Britney don`t pick up a lot of these sort of silly things from the media (in general), lol!
Fenrik

Postby Fenrik » 16 Feb 2017, 18:18

Oh, and by the way, I`ve read a few post about how great the lyrics are in the new song.
I`m the type of person that almost never listens to lyrics. And even when I try I usually get caught up in other things after 10 seconds. (Hello ADHD! :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :laugh: )

So what is the song about really?
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 16 Feb 2017, 18:51

Basically it's a song about how we're all (supposedly) obsessed with social media, sharing everything and taking pics/filming everything instead of (again, supposedly) enjoying what we're actually doing and live. And also about that people that watches/follows other people's lives from their phones/screens instead of going out and living their own life.

Or at least that's why I get from the "living our lives through a lens" opening line.

Which to a stent I agree, but I'm tired of the whole "live the moment instead of filming it" speeches, as if every single person around the world was only able to do one thing at once, so if they're filming or taking pictures it means they're not enjoying and living the experience. You know, some of us can do both things at once.

But considering some fans said not long ago "I loved the no-phones rule at Melanie's gig, I actually enjoyed the show a lot more" then I guess there are indeed a lot of people that won't drop their phones if someone doesn't ask them and/or can't enjoy an experience while they are filming it.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Fenrik

Postby Fenrik » 16 Feb 2017, 19:00

Javi wrote:Basically it's a song about how we're all (supposedly) obsessed with social media, sharing everything and taking pics/filming everything instead of (again, supposedly) enjoying what we're actually doing and live. And also about that people that watches/follows other people's lives from their phones/screens instead of going out and living their own life.

Or at least that's why I get from the "living our lives through a lens" opening line.

Which to a stent I agree, but I'm tired of the whole "live the moment instead of filming it" speeches, as if every single person around the world was only able to do one thing at once, so if they're filming or taking pictures it means they're not enjoying and living the experience. You know, some of us can do both things at once.

But considering some fans said not long ago "I loved the no-phones rule at Melanie's gig, I actually enjoyed the show a lot more" then I guess there are indeed a lot of people that won't drop their phones if someone doesn't ask them and/or can't enjoy an experience while they are filming it.

Lol, well said! And I agree!

Thanx for the explanation :)
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 16 Feb 2017, 20:41

^^It's about living in some sort of Big Brother world. We put on pink glasses and forget about it and dance to the music.
Are we crazy?
Living our lives through a lens
Trapped in our white picket fence
Like ornaments
So comfortable, we're living in a bubble, bubble
So comfortable, we cannot see the trouble, trouble
Aren't you lonely?
Up there in utopia
Where nothing will ever be enough
Happily numb
So comfortable, we're living in a bubble, bubble
So comfortable, we cannot see the trouble, trouble

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/katyperr ... hythm.html
Narrator

Postby Narrator » 17 Feb 2017, 02:26

I think it's meant to be a little more political (in a very light sort of way, though), rather than just about criticizing social media.

Katy was one of the celebrities that campaigned really hard for Hilary and criticized Trump, so for me the message of this song is more along the lines of: Stop focusing so much on your own superficial stuff, take off your rose-colored classes and notice the important things going on around you, or else we might be screwed.

That's what I get from it at least.

"Are we tone deaf?
Keep sweeping it under the mat
Thought we could do better than that
I hope we can"
Trace Adam

Postby Trace Adam » 19 Feb 2017, 07:03

Narrator wrote:I think it's meant to be a little more political (in a very light sort of way, though), rather than just about criticizing social media.

Katy was one of the celebrities that campaigned really hard for Hilary and criticized Trump, so for me the message of this song is more along the lines of: Stop focusing so much on your own superficial stuff, take off your rose-colored classes and notice the important things going on around you, or else we might be screwed.

That's what I get from it at least.

"Are we tone deaf?
Keep sweeping it under the mat
Thought we could do better than that
I hope we can"

My thoughts exactly. Plus Skip's part points towards that as well - "time is ticking for the empire."
Trace Adam

Postby Trace Adam » 19 Feb 2017, 07:05

FiaSpice wrote:Great Remix Trace, thanks for sharing.

Thanks!
Her team is really getting diligent at taking these down though, which really doesn't make that much sense... I wish they would just monetize them.
They manually took down the original, then I posted the instrumental and they took THAT down because I used the single's cover art in the video. :curse:
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 21 Feb 2017, 16:49

The video is really amazing :love:
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 21 Feb 2017, 16:57

I'm not a fan of it at all. I wasn't a fan of her video from Prism either, except for Unconditionnaly
Narrator

Postby Narrator » 21 Feb 2017, 20:57

Fantastic video! She always has such high budgets and production value for her videos, it's great and really rare nowadays.
Alexpc

Postby Alexpc » 23 Feb 2017, 12:05

Fenrik wrote:So what is the song about really?

Javi wrote:Basically it's a song about how we're all (supposedly) obsessed with social media, sharing everything and taking pics/filming everything instead of (again, supposedly) enjoying what we're actually doing and live. And also about that people that watches/follows other people's lives from their phones/screens instead of going out and living their own life.

No, it's not.
The song is more about Donald Trump and the US current politics than about social media.
It talks about how we are used to the way things are, that it made us numb and we can not see the trouble in front of us.

"Up in your high place, liars. Time is ticking for the empire. The truth they feed is feeble". That's definitely not a protest against filming the moment instead of living. It's a straightforward protest against the government. And when it says "dance to the distortion, keep it on repeat, stumbling around like a wasted zombie" it's using sarcasm to tell us to stop being oblivious of the problems around us and stop making the same mistakes.

It's not my personal perception of the song; Katy herself has retweeted several messages where people mention the political issues the song talks about. The video does have some social media messages, the selfies and the likes, but it also reinforces the strongest political meaning by depicting the immigrants being sent back home to the other side of the wall (The one Trump promised to build), and the nuclear bombs, regarding Trump threats agains the Midwest, among other political stuff.

And, for the Brits performance she used two skeletons dressed up exactly as Trump and Theresa May the day they walked hand in hand. So the message is pretty clear.
Fenrik

Postby Fenrik » 23 Feb 2017, 14:20

LMAO!! :D :D :D

PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 23 Feb 2017, 17:33

What is it with Katy and her dancers dressed up as cheap props?
TeddyBear
Custom Title: hit the lights

Postby TeddyBear » 14 Mar 2017, 13:41

i didn't like CttR at first listen but today it came up on shuffle and now i'm kinda addicted... but i wish there was no-rap version of it because rap part ruins it for me...

Return to “Music”