Little Mix

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Re: Little Mix

Postby spicefreak » 22 Jan 2017, 13:17

Mr.X wrote:I think we have past the point when men would dictate how women should behave right? Let them be sluts if they want to, it is their bodies and image. If they are in control and having fun, then that is empowering enough.

Funny how you say it's men dictating it... I was talking about this video with four of my female family members, all who have young girls that love Little Mix... they all hated the video said it was disgusting that a girl group mainly targeted at young girls should dress and act like that. I totally get that argument :shrug:
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 22 Jan 2017, 20:18

artziboi wrote:
Jer wrote:
Javi wrote:Meh.

They totally lost their edge and their essence, imo. Now they're just another sexy female act.

Agreed. While they were set apart from acts like Fifth Harmony, now they just blend in. The new video isn't exactly original, nor is it really that empowering.

WHAT is more empowering than sexy woman who owns it and carries herself with confidence. I don't get the slutshaming AT ALL.

I think they and Fifth Harmony are VERY empowering girlgroups.

who is slut shaming? :dizzy:
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 22 Jan 2017, 23:04

^ I don't think he means on here, I think he means the general slut shaming they do genuinely receive.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 23 Jan 2017, 01:03

Not liking this era half as much as the Get Weird one.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 23 Jan 2017, 06:35

The whole slut shaming thing is so laughable. Like Little Mix wanted to dress like that or make a video like that, they are being directed to do so to sell and probably by men. I cant imagine they sat round and said 'let's make a video where nothing happens but we try our hardest to look sexy and dance provocative, oh and we better photoshop Jessy cus you know her body doesn't fit into that narrative'.

I find it ridiculous people try and defend this stuff, just be up right and honest and say come on Little Mix you are waaaaaaay better than that.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
artziboi
Custom Title: Who owns the throne

Postby artziboi » 23 Jan 2017, 08:03

Why wouldn't they wanna dress like that? :laugh: :laugh: You mean every girlband/female artist there is would just be directed by men to men and they have no say in anything :laugh: :laugh: Little Mix aren't even half as slutty as people pretend they are. They wore quite big and modest outfits for this video, probably because they don't want to be potrayed in a wrong way.

Coming back to the subject, I know A LOT of young women who WANT to dress sexy and feel comfortable like that (And no, they aren't looking for any unneccessary male attention since they aren't even single). Who wouldn't? Maybe someone who isn't comfortable with their body. I know I am and have problem with showing skin myself.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 23 Jan 2017, 08:48

You are a fool if you think anything Little Mix do isn't down to some suited guy who has a bottom line of selling. You don't photoshop one of your members thinner if you are doing it because you want to and because you are proud of your body.

But whatever you tell yourself otherwise.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 23 Jan 2017, 14:49

Little Mix are a very well marketed machine, completely a product of their management. They have very miniscule amounts of input. That's not to say that's a bad thing, but everything they do is extremely calculated. They'll wear slightly revealing things because it will get them press. Press = exposure. Exposure can equal sales. It's all very clever.
[Dan]

Postby [Dan] » 26 Jan 2017, 01:02

I've always sort of been of the opinion that singers should just do what they want, not everybody has to like/agree with it really. But a lady at work was saying how much her daughter of 5 or 6 or something really liked Touch when they heard it on the radio so she later found the video to show her. She was just kinda disappointed really, especially because her daughter apparently straight away pulled her top off her shoulders to dance around like them... So yeah she said she thought it was just a bit unnecessary and sad really, and that she wouldn't be showing her daughter their music videos from now on!

So I can see why people would find the whole role-model thing not great. I'm sure they could have thought of a more creative concept for the video.

Although on another note I did hear from a friend who knows someone at their record label that it was actually Jesy who wanted to be edited, that she wasn't happy with how she looked. Which if true is mad because she looks great.
DaniSpiceBoy

Postby DaniSpiceBoy » 27 Jan 2017, 02:06

Not playing devil's advocate here but LM have been around for 6 years and only recently started portraying a sexier image. It comes with growing up. They most probably do have certain people pulling their strings to an extent, but they don't work for Disney, so it's no one's fault 5 year olds like their music on the radio and then go check out their videos. Parents are too overprotective these days. If the girls themselves are comfortable with it, so be it.

As for Jesy looking great, let's just agree to disagree.
Last edited by DaniSpiceBoy on 27 Jan 2017, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 27 Jan 2017, 02:07

DaniSpiceBoy wrote:As for Jesy looking great, let's just agree to disagree.

What a cunty thing to say.
DaniSpiceBoy

Postby DaniSpiceBoy » 27 Jan 2017, 02:19

Excuse me? I am entitled to my own opinion. I don't know the girl and I do think she's a great performer, but she embodies chavy and most of the time looks fresh off Geordie Shore. If you think that's a good look, each to their own.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 27 Jan 2017, 15:08

"Entitled to your own opinion" means "I don't like this song" not "That girl looks like a dog". It's a horrible thing to say.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 27 Jan 2017, 15:16

DaniSpiceBoy wrote:Not playing devil's advocate here but LM have been around for 6 years and only recently started portraying a sexier image. It comes with growing up. They most probably do have certain people pulling their strings to an extent, but they don't work for Disney, so it's no one's fault 5 year olds like their music on the radio and then go check out their videos. Parents are too overprotective these days. If the girls themselves are comfortable with it, so be it.

But they cater their music and sound to appeal to that demographic so it is their fault 5 year old kids like their music. They aren't releasing songs like Needed Me they are releasing Disney-ish stuff like Black Magic and Shout out to my ex.
DaniSpiceBoy

Postby DaniSpiceBoy » 27 Jan 2017, 16:22

Jamie wrote:"Entitled to your own opinion" means "I don't like this song" not "That girl looks like a dog". It's a horrible thing to say.

I never said such thing, but I certainly don't think she looks "great" either, which was the subject being discussed.
Dom

Postby Dom » 27 Jan 2017, 18:32

sammy01 wrote:
DaniSpiceBoy wrote:Not playing devil's advocate here but LM have been around for 6 years and only recently started portraying a sexier image. It comes with growing up. They most probably do have certain people pulling their strings to an extent, but they don't work for Disney, so it's no one's fault 5 year olds like their music on the radio and then go check out their videos. Parents are too overprotective these days. If the girls themselves are comfortable with it, so be it.

But they cater their music and sound to appeal to that demographic so it is their fault 5 year old kids like their music. They aren't releasing songs like Needed Me they are releasing Disney-ish stuff like Black Magic and Shout out to my ex.

I agree.

Their image for a few years has been a little polarising considering their music and target audience.

I can't find it now, but their team released the promo strategy for Shout Out To My Ex on Twitter (or was it for Music Week?) and it outlines their target audience being ages between 10 - 24 with a majority being girls.

They are young girls growing up at the end of the day, but you can't expect people not to be a little "erm..." about their outfit choices when it's being aimed at impressionable preteens.
Dom

Postby Dom » 27 Jan 2017, 18:59

I've found the article if anyone wanted to have a read - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2yOfePXEAA3_Zf.jpg

Audience demographic:

Age - 10 - 24
Female - 81%
Male - 19%
Location - Global
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 27 Jan 2017, 19:12

That's actually proper interesting to read.
SpiceFan2008
Custom Title: I JUST WANNA DANCE

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 27 Jan 2017, 21:33

^Agreed Quite insightful actually.
Would love to have more information from other artists about how their promotional campaigns go on!
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 27 Jan 2017, 23:39

The thing with the outfits and they way they are dancing now is it is so out of sync with the actual music. They wore more adult and 'hotter' outfits during the salute era but then they were releasing Move and Salute, not Black magic.

I feel like they are lost as artists now which is sad. They are trying to appeal to too many people. Their music has regressed to win back the very young audience but their obviously growing up and wanting to be more like women. It is a shame whoever is pulling the strings is more concerned about selling than them as artists evolving to match that they are now older grown up women.
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 28 Jan 2017, 00:29

I'm loving the video and the song a bit more now I think this is their sexy era
bombie

Postby bombie » 28 Jan 2017, 21:11

sammy01 wrote:The thing with the outfits and they way they are dancing now is it is so out of sync with the actual music. They wore more adult and 'hotter' outfits during the salute era but then they were releasing Move and Salute, not Black magic.

I feel like they are lost as artists now which is sad. They are trying to appeal to too many people. Their music has regressed to win back the very young audience but their obviously growing up and wanting to be more like women. It is a shame whoever is pulling the strings is more concerned about selling than them as artists evolving to match that they are now older grown up women.

Lost as artists? I think they are doing pretty well right now.. Having a huge album, a number one single a sold out tour? I they understand and know that if they don't mature image wise, they would get lost in the pack... Look at 5H... They went from Sledgehammer to Work from Home.... and guess what? They had more success... Sex sells... I know we don't want to hear that.. But even look at the Spice Girls, and how different the image shifted from Spice to Spice World... Not the exact same because the industry wasn't the same... Even taking Britney Spears... from her "Oops I Did It Again" Era to her "Britney" one.... It's pretty clear that by the 3rd or 4th album, artists have a tendency to add some maturity to their image... Because they are hoping to keep their audience thats obviously growing up with them.... I do agree with the comment about Black Magic being the song that they started to vamp up the sex.... As its a pretty bubble gum song... But everything on "Glory Days" to me is reflective of their image to me... personally.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 28 Jan 2017, 21:42

They are lost as artists in my eyes as their sound is just a watered down version of anything generic or commerical.
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 28 Jan 2017, 23:37

I hope Down & Dirty is the next single :D
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 29 Jan 2017, 01:07

bombie wrote:
sammy01 wrote:The thing with the outfits and they way they are dancing now is it is so out of sync with the actual music. They wore more adult and 'hotter' outfits during the salute era but then they were releasing Move and Salute, not Black magic.

Lost as artists? I think they are doing pretty well right now.. Having a huge album, a number one single a sold out tour? I they understand and know that if they don't mature image wise, they would get lost in the pack... Look at 5H... They went from Sledgehammer to Work from Home.... and guess what? They had more success... Sex sells... I know we don't want to hear that.. But even look at the Spice Girls, and how different the image shifted from Spice to Spice World... Not the exact same because the industry wasn't the same... Even taking Britney Spears... from her "Oops I Did It Again" Era to her "Britney" one.... It's pretty clear that by the 3rd or 4th album, artists have a tendency to add some maturity to their image... Because they are hoping to keep their audience thats obviously growing up with them.... I do agree with the comment about Black Magic being the song that they started to vamp up the sex.... As its a pretty bubble gum song... But everything on "Glory Days" to me is reflective of their image to me... personally.

I was talking about their music when I said they were lost as artists. Selling loads of records isn't everything. They have regressed after taking a step forward with the Salute era. The imagery doesn't match the music now as they are 'maturing' in their image but still making music for kids.

Return to “Music”