Mariah Carey

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
BootyliciousJosh

Re: Mariah Carey

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 29 Sep 2016, 05:49

New song for the tv show Empire, called "Infamous".
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/28/em ... e-smollett
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 29 Sep 2016, 16:56

Nice song.... but nothing special.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 20 Dec 2016, 00:29

Have any of you been watching Mariah's World, her new reality show? Spoilers ahead!

I'm not sure whether I'm enjoying it so far or not. It's a bit of a mixed bag really, but I lean towards not enjoying it on the whole. :( I think I'd have preferred a proper & more serious documentary over this. A lot of the drama (which is probably created, given the nature of these shows) is just... dull. Mariah herself is always watchable/fabulous, but her "support cast" i.e. the manager, creative director, back up singer, make up artist, love interest dancer... blah to them all.

The whole drama of Mariah's back up singer being offended re: the dancers' bus... eh. The creative director was right, sharing a bus with dancers is no place for a child. I feel like her anger was completely misplaced. Surely she should be mad at the manager for arranging that highly impractical arrangement? I mean if all of this is legit, that kind of shows how much the manager valued the back up singer and her child.

Also, Molly has to be an actress, surely? I half wonder whether or not her scenes were even filmed at the same time? For a supposed tour assistant she's yet to be in Mariah's presence at all, lol. We haven't really learned anything about her bar the fact that she's verging on being completely incompetent. (We never did get to find out whether she got the Apple TV to work!!) :')

I've found the editing of this show to be quite curious. It's been reported that a lot of scenes involving her ex-fiance were scrapped, and it shows. I find it to be an interesting choice that they're teasing a supposed romance between her and the dancer, all while she's still engaged.

I'm probably thinking too deeply about a show which is, for the most part, trash. Oops. So I probably should only start watching this once I've left my brain at the door and just take it for what it is. It's not all bad I guess, I enjoyed the parts regarding her rehearsing for the tour and seeing some tour footage, at least. I just think an artist like Mariah could have done something a bit more... highbrow.
Fenrik
Custom Title: OSLOVE

Postby Fenrik » 20 Dec 2016, 01:45

I have downloaded them but not seen them yet. I´m only interested in watching the tour footage/rehearsals.
Hoping they show something from Oslo! lol! :D
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 24 Dec 2016, 09:49

Stella is tarnishing Mariah's brand and image.
rusty_nail

Postby rusty_nail » 01 Jan 2017, 07:35

Mariah's New Years performance was the stuff of stress dreams.

I'm not entirely sure what exactly happened there. My guess is...Emotions was supposed to have pre-recorded vocals she was going to lip-sync/partly sing-a-long with...but one without the vocals was played instead. With the way her voice has changed over the years, I really don't think she can sing that song today without a lot of assistance. She says something about the song never getting a sound check. So. Maybe the version of the song playing completely caught her off guard? The monitors may have been yet another problem. She seems thrown off from the get-go...even when she's lip-syncing that opening song.

I do feel bad for her. She's been struggling to sing live for well over a decade. I remember her showing signs of trouble in the late 90s. She's done a lot to try to disguise that fact...and the public seems to have been somewhat forgetful of past incidents where her performances go south. I'm not sure that'll be true of this one, though. This one's...pretty memorable. But. Y'know. One thing about Mariah Carey...she is not a quitter.
Last edited by rusty_nail on 01 Jan 2017, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
NearlyCivilized
Custom Title: vegans do it better

Postby NearlyCivilized » 01 Jan 2017, 07:54

She's like, "lemme get a vacation".
@jonnyrecord #horror
kamel

Postby kamel » 01 Jan 2017, 08:12

Her voice was awful live :death: on Abc new year's eve :( :death: :death: :death:
kamel

Postby kamel » 01 Jan 2017, 08:29

PopIsHot
Custom Title: Hotter Now

Postby PopIsHot » 01 Jan 2017, 08:47

She is no longer the elusive chanteuse with these recent gigs.
rusty_nail

Postby rusty_nail » 01 Jan 2017, 09:34

Gotta hand it to those dancers, though...dutifully going through the motions...despite the performance completely collapsing around them.

Anyway. I don't think this is a career-ending moment. Hitting a certain age ceiling already ended her chances at nabbing another legit hit. She can still tour. I think she'll do some interviews about NYE...or maybe one big one. Hopefully she'll be able to laugh it off.

What I hope comes from this is a decision to alter the way she sings to suit how her voice sounds today. She's still capable of singing in a certain range. That leaked audio from the Rockefeller Center last year (rough as it was) still showed that. But. It's probably time to stop trying to convince the world she still sounds like she did in 1992.

And. I mean. These incidents are bound to happen when you're hiding your voice as much as she was. But. Are people in her crew out to get her or what's the deal? This happened...AND the audio leak from last year?
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 01 Jan 2017, 21:33

oh gosh, it's like she gave up trying to solve the situation
kamel

Postby kamel » 02 Jan 2017, 19:17

she is now somewhere along the britney level in terms of singing. She can mime but not sing live
NearlyCivilized
Custom Title: vegans do it better

Postby NearlyCivilized » 02 Jan 2017, 20:09

These days I can't afford concert tickets so I don't really care what these people are capable of anymore. Except of course people who always sing live in concert like my Melanie C. But as for the Mariah thing, her studio songs still sound damn good to me, and I've had We Belong Together in my head for 2 days now so.. I'll still buy her song if I like them.
Shout out to Britney!
@jonnyrecord #horror
bombie

Postby bombie » 02 Jan 2017, 22:50

kamel wrote:she is now somewhere along the britney level in terms of singing. She can mime but not sing live

Really? This was just from this year. Girl can still sing... I think its beyond ridiculous to say she can't because of a few bad performances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWqxyOm4CQ
DaniSpiceBoy

Postby DaniSpiceBoy » 03 Jan 2017, 01:09

She had no sound in her in-ears monitors, which means she couldn't hear the key or the tempo. Yes, she did have a backing track for the really high notes as she usually does for TV perfomances, but the woman can still sing. Give her a break.
kamel

Postby kamel » 03 Jan 2017, 01:32

DaniSpiceBoy wrote:She had no sound in her in-ears monitors, which means she couldn't hear the key or the tempo. Yes, she did have a backing track for the really high notes as she usually does for TV perfomances, but the woman can still sing. Give her a break.

Ok.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 03 Jan 2017, 02:46

All I could think watching that is god she looks like absolute trash. She looks like a glorified hooker these days.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Amaranthine18

Postby Amaranthine18 » 03 Jan 2017, 05:19

sammy01 wrote:All I could think watching that is god she looks like absolute trash. She looks like a glorified hooker these days.

I think she needs to spend less time putting make up and more time on vocal lessons. She is known as a singer. Not a reality TV personality like Kim Kardashian.
DaniSpiceBoy

Postby DaniSpiceBoy » 03 Jan 2017, 23:54

sammy01 wrote:All I could think watching that is god she looks like absolute trash. She looks like a glorified hooker these days.

She's been going down that route for well over a decade now.
DaniSpiceBoy

Postby DaniSpiceBoy » 03 Jan 2017, 23:56

kamel wrote:
DaniSpiceBoy wrote:She had no sound in her in-ears monitors, which means she couldn't hear the key or the tempo. Yes, she did have a backing track for the really high notes as she usually does for TV perfomances, but the woman can still sing. Give her a break.

Ok.

So you're assuming she purposely chose not to sing on live TV? :dizzy:
kamel

Postby kamel » 04 Jan 2017, 00:18

DaniSpiceBoy wrote:
kamel wrote:
DaniSpiceBoy wrote:She had no sound , which means she couldn't hear the key or the tempo. Yes, she did have a backing track for the really high notes as she usually does for TV perfomances, but the woman can still sing. Give her a break.

Ok.

So you're assuming she purposely chose not to sing on live TV? :dizzy:

I think she was gonna to mime but there is no sound in her in-ears monitors, of course she was not gonna sing live on live tv.
DaniSpiceBoy

Postby DaniSpiceBoy » 04 Jan 2017, 00:21

^^ That doesn't even make sense. Did you actually watch the video or know anything about stage performance? There was no vocal track during Emotions to begin with.
kamel

Postby kamel » 04 Jan 2017, 00:45

DaniSpiceBoy wrote:^^ That doesn't even make sense. Did you actually watch the video or know anything about stage performance? There was no vocal track during Emotions to begin with.

Do you still think if everything was fine, she would sang live?
DaniSpiceBoy

Postby DaniSpiceBoy » 04 Jan 2017, 01:09

She was meant to sing live most of the performance, but the issues with her in-ears monitors threw her off. She could have handled it differently, I'll give you that, but apparently, there had been technical sound issues with her monitors from the beggining and she was assured they would work on stage, but once she got there, they still didn't and she was clearly annoyed and frustrated because there was nothing she could do at that point.
It's not all about either singing live or not, just like sports people need the right conditions for a good performance, singers do too. You don't just jump on stage in the middle of Times Square and belt your heart out.

Return to “Music”