UK Sales Figures: Spice Girls Singles & Albums (New Updates: Page 26!)

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
Official Spiceworld
Posts: 7342
Joined: 17 Aug 2008, 19:19
Gender: Male
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net
Country: United_Kingdom
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Official Spiceworld » 11 Feb 2017, 16:17

Thank you for the 2B1 update! :D

Combined with Wannabe, their 2 million sellers come to a total of 2.5 million! :)
Image
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
User avatar
Jay
Mod
Posts: 68096
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Jay » 11 Feb 2017, 21:24

Thanks! Glad to have an update. This'll just be its pure sales, i.e. no streams included. Hopefully someday soon it'll pass 1.2m in combined sales (and the way we'll find that out is if BPI reveals it to be double platinum).

Random: Any time Official Charts Company reference 2 Become 1 in an article or on Twitter, they always use that fan made cover, haha.
Image
Official Spiceworld
Posts: 7342
Joined: 17 Aug 2008, 19:19
Gender: Male
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net
Country: United_Kingdom
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Official Spiceworld » 12 Feb 2017, 17:30

Jay wrote:Thanks! Glad to have an update. This'll just be its pure sales, i.e. no streams included. Hopefully someday soon it'll pass 1.2m in combined sales (and the way we'll find that out is if BPI reveals it to be double platinum).

Random: Any time Official Charts Company reference 2 Become 1 in an article or on Twitter, they always use that fan made cover, haha.


Jay as you're the chart expert, do you know the best place to find updated single sales in the United States? :D

SYBT sold 900k and 2 Become 1 sold 700k both in 1997 and I wondered if there was an updated total anywhere?

Putting together some fun tweets in the next few weeks and months as it'll be 20 years since they charted in the U.S.

Thank you :)
Image
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
User avatar
Jay
Mod
Posts: 68096
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Jay » 12 Feb 2017, 21:04

US sales aren't my strong point unfortunately! :(

It might be a good idea if you tried this though, to find out updated US Spice sales! -

Submit questions about Billboard charts, as well as general music musings, to askbb@billboard.com. Please include your first and last name, as well as your city, state and country, if outside the U.S. Or, tweet @gthot20
Image
Official Spiceworld
Posts: 7342
Joined: 17 Aug 2008, 19:19
Gender: Male
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net
Country: United_Kingdom
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Official Spiceworld » 07 Mar 2017, 20:21

Just to say the first page needs updating as 2B1 is at 1.14 million :D

Also, did Holler sell 260k and LLLTW's second CD sell a further 200k or was the 260k amount the total sales for that single?
Image
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
Official Spiceworld
Posts: 7342
Joined: 17 Aug 2008, 19:19
Gender: Male
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net
Country: United_Kingdom
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Official Spiceworld » 07 Mar 2017, 20:23

Jay wrote:US sales aren't my strong point unfortunately! :(

It might be a good idea if you tried this though, to find out updated US Spice sales! -

Submit questions about Billboard charts, as well as general music musings, to askbb@billboard.com. Please include your first and last name, as well as your city, state and country, if outside the U.S. Or, tweet @gthot20


Thank you very much for this. I may actually send them a message :)
Image
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
User avatar
Jay
Mod
Posts: 68096
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Jay » 07 Mar 2017, 22:34

Official Spiceworld wrote:Just to say the first page needs updating as 2B1 is at 1.14 million :D

Also, did Holler sell 260k and LLLTW's second CD sell a further 200k or was the 260k amount the total sales for that single?


Thanks for reminding me, I've now updated 2B1!

When it comes to Holler/Let Love Lead The Way, the way OCC treats old Double A Sides is to only have one of the songs contribute downloads & streams to the running total. In the case of this single I would assume it comes from Holler.

Holler/Let Love Lead The Way's 260,000 total is made up of its physical sales (CD1: H/LLLTW, CD2: LLLTW/H, Cassette, Vinyl) and (I presume) downloads of Holler. I don't think this total includes any streaming data. If we ever get a H/LLLTW sales update again and it includes streaming data than it'll most likely be Holler streams.

Any individual downloads of Let Love Lead The Way & any streams for it, won't count towards the Double A, it'll have its own separate total, but we have no idea what those sales will be.

On the subject of Double As, I actually have no idea whether it would be Mama or Who Do You Think You Are sales that counts towards the single's running total. We haven't had an updated total for this single in 8 years ( :x ) so it's impossible to determine. I'd be interested to know!
Image
User avatar
Jay
Mod
Posts: 68096
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Jay » 08 Mar 2017, 13:34

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... ts__18426/

Lol in this new article they have put 2B1 back down to 1.13m. 1.38m for Wannabe is an increase though.
Image
The Spice Girls
Posts: 3064
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby The Spice Girls » 08 Mar 2017, 14:50

Jay wrote:http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/official-top-20-biggest-selling-singles-of-all-time-by-female-artists__18426/

Lol in this new article they have put 2B1 back down to 1.13m. 1.38m for Wannabe is an increase though.


For comparing here's the list from 3 years back. They're too lazy now to do full top 40, looks like:

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/official-top-40-biggest-selling-singles-of-all-time-by-female-artists__3828/
Official Spiceworld
Posts: 7342
Joined: 17 Aug 2008, 19:19
Gender: Male
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net
Country: United_Kingdom
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Official Spiceworld » 10 Mar 2017, 21:47

Official Charts article about the charts this week in 1997

Update WDYTYA sales - 710,000 :D

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/5-random-chart-facts-of-the-week-that-might-surprise-you__18448/
Image
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
User avatar
Jay
Mod
Posts: 68096
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Jay » 10 Mar 2017, 21:53

Fabulous to have updated sales for it 8 years after its last reveal, thanks for posting! :D
Image
Official Spiceworld
Posts: 7342
Joined: 17 Aug 2008, 19:19
Gender: Male
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net
Country: United_Kingdom
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Official Spiceworld » 10 Mar 2017, 21:56

Jay wrote:Fabulous to have updated sales for it 8 years after its last reveal, thanks for posting! :D


You're welcome

So Spice era updated

Wannabe - 1.38m
SYBT - 961K
2 Become 1 - 1.14m
Mama/WDYTYA - 710k

Total - 4,191,000 :music: :Dizzy:
Image
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
User avatar
sammy01
Posts: 12428
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 15:30

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby sammy01 » 11 Mar 2017, 02:10

Ok this update of WDYTYA's total sales confirms to me that SYBT must have been downgraded at some point sales wise. WDYTYA has added 33k sales compared to 21k for SYBT that doesn't add up to me.

You could say maybe WDYTYA is just more popular the SYBT but every thing else as SYBT much more popular (Youtube views aren't even close between the 2 neither are Spotify plays) I know they are WW and this is a UK thing but I cant help but feel SYBT would be more popular or at the very least on par with WDYTYA in the UK.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
The Spice Girls
Posts: 3064
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby The Spice Girls » 11 Mar 2017, 08:21

Official Spiceworld wrote:Official Charts article about the charts this week in 1997

Update WDYTYA sales - 710,000 :D

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/5-random-chart-facts-of-the-week-that-might-surprise-you__18448/


I'm surprised to see 2B1 was still there in Top 40, on #30, after nearly 3 months after its release date.
Official Spiceworld
Posts: 7342
Joined: 17 Aug 2008, 19:19
Gender: Male
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net
Country: United_Kingdom
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Official Spiceworld » 11 Mar 2017, 12:46

sammy01 wrote:Ok this update of WDYTYA's total sales confirms to me that SYBT must have been downgraded at some point sales wise. WDYTYA has added 33k sales compared to 21k for SYBT that doesn't add up to me.

You could say maybe WDYTYA is just more popular the SYBT but every thing else as SYBT much more popular (Youtube views aren't even close between the 2 neither are Spotify plays) I know they are WW and this is a UK thing but I cant help but feel SYBT would be more popular or at the very least on par with WDYTYA in the UK.


Do you think SYBT has sold more than 961,000?

Wouldn't it have been great if it had gone over 1 million back in the 90s. Three million sellers in a row would have been a feat and a half :Angel: :)
Image
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
User avatar
Jay
Mod
Posts: 68096
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Jay » 11 Mar 2017, 18:41

sammy01 wrote:Ok this update of WDYTYA's total sales confirms to me that SYBT must have been downgraded at some point sales wise. WDYTYA has added 33k sales compared to 21k for SYBT that doesn't add up to me.

You could say maybe WDYTYA is just more popular the SYBT but every thing else as SYBT much more popular (Youtube views aren't even close between the 2 neither are Spotify plays) I know they are WW and this is a UK thing but I cant help but feel SYBT would be more popular or at the very least on par with WDYTYA in the UK.


In fact it's a 43k increase for WDYTYA, 667k to 710k!

The downgraded sales of '96 is always going to be an annoying thing for consistency unfortunately. :(

Another thing is that 2 Become 1 was on 1,093,976 in June 2009, and 1,140,000 in February 2017, which is only a 46k increase. Both total figures are definitely pure sales only, no streams. It seems unlikely to me that 2B1 would only have sold 3k more than WDYTYA in the last 8 years...

It makes me wonder whether the 43k increase / 710k total for WDYTYA actually includes some streaming data too?
Image
Official Spiceworld
Posts: 7342
Joined: 17 Aug 2008, 19:19
Gender: Male
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net
Country: United_Kingdom
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Official Spiceworld » 13 Mar 2017, 18:52

A number of articles recently, which have been written around the 20th anniversary since the SG BRITs performance, are claiming the Spice Girls sales total is now at 85 million.

I'm so confused. It's been 75 for ages, then someone would drop 80m here and there and now most recent articles claim 85 :Dizzy: :confused:
Image
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
spicefreak
Posts: 10500
Joined: 05 Oct 2005, 17:23
Gender: Male
Custom Title: Enjoy the show
Country: United_Kingdom
Location: Leeds

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby spicefreak » 13 Mar 2017, 22:50

They claim that Spice sold 30 million and Spiceworld sold 20 million. Also that Forever sold 4 million (which it did not). Add that onto the 9 million for Wannabe and every other single (apart from Holler and Headlines) selling over a million I guess that's how they have managed to blag that total.

Realistically they have probably sold about 70 million records worldwide.

- Spice (23 million)
- Spiceworld (17 million)
- Forever (2 million)
- The Greatest Hits (2 million) - including Victoria Secret's sales.

- Wannabe (9 million)
- Say you'll be there (3 million)
- 2 become 1 (3 million)
- Mama / Who do you think you are (1.5 million)
- Spice up your life (3 million)
- Too much (2 million)
- Stop (1 million)
- Viva forever (1.5 million)
- Goodbye (2 million)
- Holler / Let love head the way (500,000)
- Headlines (100,000)
Image
goin down
Posts: 898
Joined: 10 Sep 2011, 12:24
Gender: Male
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby goin down » 13 Mar 2017, 22:56

WDYTYA is played in clubs (gay ones) still regulaly and SYBT is not . The brits performance is always referenced too.
'all i can tell you is to know who you are'
User avatar
sammy01
Posts: 12428
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 15:30

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby sammy01 » 14 Mar 2017, 03:45

spicefreak wrote:They claim that Spice sold 30 million and Spiceworld sold 20 million. Also that Forever sold 4 million (which it did not). Add that onto the 9 million for Wannabe and every other single (apart from Holler and Headlines) selling over a million I guess that's how they have managed to blag that total.

Realistically they have probably sold about 70 million records worldwide.

- Spice (23 million)
- Spiceworld (17 million)
- Forever (2 million)
- The Greatest Hits (2 million) - including Victoria Secret's sales.

- Wannabe (9 million)
- Say you'll be there (3 million)
- 2 become 1 (3 million)
- Mama / Who do you think you are (1.5 million)
- Spice up your life (3 million)
- Too much (2 million)
- Stop (1 million)
- Viva forever (1.5 million)
- Goodbye (2 million)
- Holler / Let love head the way (500,000)
- Headlines (100,000)


The official figures we get will always be higher and rounded as they will be the total shipped. Like a record company cares if copies of forever sat on shelves or got sold off in thats entertainment or pound shops. They got their 4 quid an album for them and their official shipment figure sales.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
User avatar
Christopher
Posts: 2003
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 00:06
Gender: Male
Previous username(s): Posh Punkk
Country: United_States
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Christopher » 14 Mar 2017, 18:02

Is there WORLD sales numbers?
tiagohm
Posts: 7228
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Country: Brazil
Location: São Leopoldo, RS

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby tiagohm » 16 Mar 2017, 13:33

Emma Station |
User avatar
Jay
Mod
Posts: 68096
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby Jay » 16 Mar 2017, 20:14

That's great to know, thanks for posting! :D It's been 60 weeks since it was certified Gold for passing 400,000 sales. That works out as being approx 336 sales per week on average (including streaming data). Last week it sold at least 311 units (it states 61 downloads and over 25,000 streams, which would be the equivalent of at least 250 sales).
Image
The Spice Girls
Posts: 3064
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby The Spice Girls » 16 Mar 2017, 21:07

What gave it such a boost?! Couldn't be Geri's doco, they even didn't play it there?!
tommie
Posts: 1602
Joined: 19 Nov 2008, 23:12

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby tommie » 16 Mar 2017, 21:39

The Spice Girls wrote:What gave it such a boost?! Couldn't be Geri's doco, they even didn't play it there?!


It's appeared on quite a few Spotify playlists during the past few months.
Image

Return to “Spice Girls”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 17 guests