20 Years: MAMA ☆ Discussion Thread (4th Single from 'Spice')

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.

Mama:

I love it
34%
I like it
27%
I don't mind it (neither particularly like it or dislike it)
27%
I dislike it
10%
I hate it
4%

Total votes: 83
PeruvianSpice

Re: Mama

Postby PeruvianSpice » 23 Oct 2015, 19:11

Hmm,I still don't know why fans dislike it so much... is it cause it isn't "cool enough" to like a song about "moms"? Or maybe, when you're an english native speaker, the lyrics sound bad?

As a spanish speaker, what got me in the song was the melody... it's really cute and beautiful... the message behind it is also great... so I do like it (like all of their singles).

I do prefer the single version since it's shorter and it's got, somehow, a better punch. Live, it sounds REALLY good, it takes the song to another level with the whole arrangements (even if some vocals sound dodgy)... I really appreciate this song and it also used to bring me to tears when I heard it due to my mom passing away a few years ago. It's a personal song but I still liked it before that event.

As for the video, I've never been a fan of music videos where the artist is using a microphone... somehow, I see it as a performance rather than a music video (weird, I know)... But I like the parts where they reminisce... Still, nice idea of having their moms there.

I wouldn't have released anything different, cause again, I truly like it. And of course, it was a cleve move to release it not only as a Comic Relief single but also make it coincide with Mother's Day. I remember reading David Sinclair's book and he said something about Geri being all "business and smart" and saying something along the lines like "if the single's earnings are going to be for charity, the label should also part with their share, right?"...

The single cover, IMO, fits more the "Who Do You Think You Are" part of the single, since I see it as upbeat and kinda crazy... but it's ok.

The b-side is interesintg but not groundbreaking.

"Mama" will always have a special place in my heart...

As a foot note, I also had a bit of "problems" trying to understand Emma's ad-libs in the end... I used to sing it like:

"Me lovin' you
You lovin' me
A love that's true
So true"

Now, sometimes I hear it:

"You love me
You love me
A love that's true
So true"
Mickey

Postby Mickey » 23 Oct 2015, 19:32

I like it a lot specially the intro in CISW and the outro in the SW tour they were perfect and the music video is so cute, my mom really love the song
NearlyCivilized
Custom Title: vegans do it better

Postby NearlyCivilized » 24 Oct 2015, 01:27

Eh, every time Mama starts in my iPod I feel less excited than most of their other songs. But then I listen to it and enjoy it every time. However I will never agree with the decision to make it a single. Especially because that means we hear it at concerts instead of other, way better (imo) songs.
Yeah I wish Mama was a b-side.
@jonnyrecord #horror
James
Custom Title: Legacy member

Postby James » 24 Oct 2015, 01:38

I never used to really like Mama back at the time. but I've always preferred the radio edit to the album version (which does seem to drag on a bit).

The song is a lot better in a live setting for me - the ROTSG tour especially, it was a beautiful moment with all the kids on stage.
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 24 Oct 2015, 03:25

PeruvianSpice wrote:As a foot note, I also had a bit of "problems" trying to understand Emma's ad-libs in the end... I used to sing it like:

I'm pretty sure it's:

Mel B (Emma)
"Me lovin' you (Me lovin' you)
You lovin' me (You lovin' me)
A love that's true (A love that's true)
And guaranteed (So true)"
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 24 Oct 2015, 04:18

Charmingspice5 wrote:
PeruvianSpice wrote:As a foot note, I also had a bit of "problems" trying to understand Emma's ad-libs in the end... I used to sing it like:

I'm pretty sure it's:

Mel B (Emma)
"Me lovin' you (Me lovin' you)
You lovin' me (You lovin' me)
A love that's true (A love that's true)
And guaranteed (So true)"

Thanks so much
Trace Adam

Postby Trace Adam » 24 Oct 2015, 07:16

I didn't want to hear it then but I'm not ashamed to listen to it now. :D

It's really grown on me through the years, and I love it's message.

Postby abcnewgreen » 25 Oct 2015, 02:51

Don't get why it's hated.

For me this is an iconic song of my childhood from watching the VHS as a kid. They look amazing in the videom the choir compliments as opposed to overshadowing them and the intro with the guitar is amazing.
It might be cheesy but it was what theybwere about a positive message.

10/10 for me
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 25 Oct 2015, 23:35

The music is ok, what makes me really detest the song is how cringe and cheesy it is, in terms of its lyrics and sentiment overall. It was such a gaming tactic for mother's day.. urgh
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 25 Oct 2015, 23:39

I've always just "liked" it. And during TROTSGT, it made me love the song even more. But now, I just like it again,
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 26 Oct 2015, 00:12

Mr.X wrote:The music is ok, what makes me really detest the song is how cringe and cheesy it is, in terms of its lyrics and sentiment overall. It was such a gaming tactic for mother's day.. urgh

Well, in all honesty I don't think they wrote it back in 94/95/96 thinking they would release it later on on Mother's Day...
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 26 Oct 2015, 02:23

PeruvianSpice wrote:
Mr.X wrote:The music is ok, what makes me really detest the song is how cringe and cheesy it is, in terms of its lyrics and sentiment overall. It was such a gaming tactic for mother's day.. urgh

Well, in all honesty I don't think they wrote it back in 94/95/96 thinking they would release it later on on Mother's Day...

really? hhhmmm I have my doubts..
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 26 Oct 2015, 02:49

Mr.X wrote:
PeruvianSpice wrote:

really? hhhmmm I have my doubts..

Well, is not that it's confirmed... But what I meant is that neither point of view is for certain...

But I believe that when they wrote the song, back in whatever year it was, that they didn't have a clear plan of when and what single they would release...

My point of view (obviously just my way of looking at it) as that they wrote it out of pure sentiment towards their moms... to include a cute song (ode to them). And obviously when the time came to choose a 4th single (which could coincide with Mother's Day and Comic Relief) they saw it fit)
VodkaMouth

Postby VodkaMouth » 28 Oct 2015, 02:29

I voted "I don't mind it", but I have always thought it was one of their weakest songs.
Dave87

Postby Dave87 » 28 Oct 2015, 03:42

Ugh ! I've never liked Mama. It's so dull and boring.
Jay
Mod

Re: MAMA ☆ Discussion Thread (4th Single from 'Spice')

Postby Jay » 03 Mar 2017, 13:14

20 years! :wave: :D
The Spice Girls

Re: 20 Years: MAMA ☆ Discussion Thread (4th Single from 'Spice')

Postby The Spice Girls » 03 Mar 2017, 16:00

Will we ever get chance to see the 'Mama' video where they appearing on that stage in those mini cars?!

About the song - I love it, it's my favourite song about mother/child connection. I remember back in the days I was getting some chocolates and flowers and playing this track to my Mum on Monther's Day;)
7eleven

Postby 7eleven » 04 Mar 2017, 08:48

Can I just say I looove 'Mama'? Even if it's different, to me, it's right up there with their other ballads. Y'all must hate your moms.
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Postby Official Spiceworld » 04 Mar 2017, 15:41

Usually the song song I skip on the SPICE album from time to time. But it's good a great sentiment and has stood the test of time. Love the melodies and the message behind it.

A real girl power song.
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 10 Mar 2017, 00:29

I used to think Mama was average and the album version too long but these days that last minute of Mama is probably one of their finest moments, and live that last minute is beautiful.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 10 Mar 2017, 00:39

I love it. I don't know why it's labelled "cheesy". It's cute. Catchy. Well-produced. The video is nice. What's not to like?

Return to “Spice Girls”