WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ☆ Discussion Thread (4th Single from 'Spice')

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.

Who Do You Think You Are:

I love it
82%
I like it
9%
I don't mind it (neither particularly like it or dislike it)
10%
I dislike it
No votes
I hate it
No votes

Total votes: 103
Silence is golden
Custom Title: AKA S.I.G

Re: Who Do You Think You Are

Postby Silence is golden » 28 Oct 2015, 19:01

PeruvianSpice wrote:Thanks! Gonna check it out right now

Listen to this from the 5:00 mark onwards.

And this performance is the only one they did with the 'original' version as the backing track, 8:57 onwards:

Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 29 Oct 2015, 05:08

Love it! Love it! Love it!

One of my favourite songs ever!

One of my favourite mashups ever was one of the first I ever heard. It was Who Do You Think You Are vs. Me Against The Music by Britney and Madonna, and it worked so well. Unfortunately I can't find it on Youtube anymore, and I lost the .mp3 when I sent my iPod through the wash so it's only a distant memory now, but it was perfect. It really showed how catchy the instrumental is.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 29 Oct 2015, 19:26

Silence is golden wrote:
PeruvianSpice wrote:Thanks! Gonna check it out right now

Listen to this from the 5:00 mark onwards.

And this performance is the only one they did with the 'original' version as the backing track, 8:57 onwards:

Thanks for this! :D

I actually don't find differences... :shrug: :shrug: :oops: :oops:
Jay
Mod

Who Do You Think You Are - 19th Anniversary

Postby Jay » 03 Mar 2016, 21:32

Released in the UK 19 years ago! (Monday 3rd March 1997)

Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Re: Who Do You Think You Are - 19th Anniversary

Postby Official Spiceworld » 03 Mar 2016, 22:07

And Mama :devil:

The Spice Girls also received their 'Outstanding Contribution To Music Award' at the BRITs 16 years ago today and performed. Also, Geri attended
and performed 'Bag It Up' back in 2000! :dee:
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
Dreamland47

Postby Dreamland47 » 03 Mar 2016, 22:12

I love this song and it's video. :)
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 03 Mar 2016, 23:33

Official Spiceworld wrote:And Mama :devil:

I thought I might bump the Mama topic on Mother's Day, rather than both today! :$
MarcelWithLuv
Custom Title: Marcel With Luv

Postby MarcelWithLuv » 04 Mar 2016, 00:00

Brandamn wrote:One of my favourite mashups ever was one of the first I ever heard. It was Who Do You Think You Are vs. Me Against The Music by Britney and Madonna, and it worked so well. Unfortunately I can't find it on Youtube anymore, and I lost the .mp3 when I sent my iPod through the wash so it's only a distant memory now, but it was perfect. It really showed how catchy the instrumental is.

It`s here for you babe:
10-Who Do You Think Is Against The Music - Spice Girls VS Madonna e Britney Spears.mp3
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/NbZ8Z4wZ/file.html

& as a bonus for the bday of the single - the mashup with Just Dance
06-Just Dance Who Do You Think You Are Mix - Spice Girls VS Lady Gaga.mp3
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/hfRbtzz7/file.html
alexgirardii
Custom Title: back in business

Postby alexgirardii » 04 Mar 2016, 00:55

Jay wrote:I'll just use this topic to throw some appreciation in the direction of 'Baby Come Round'. I feel like this song isn't really that well rated on DenDen? It's obviously B Side material, but it's still good. *.*

I'll wind you up like a brand new toy... :music:

I LOVE BABY COME ROUND SO MUCH! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
I think it suits perfectly with WDYTYA in the single, wich for me is the best that Spice Girls have released.
The video is iconic, the Sugar Lumps version too, the Brits performance is their most iconic moment (I think). And this song work very well on clubs these days. It's very disco, and similar to a lot of indie pop things people have been doing these years.
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 04 Mar 2016, 03:11

PeruvianSpice wrote:I think that, sadly, none live performance has captured the song's vibe and energy. The "Return" did a good instrumental and production set up but it obviously wasn't live... and during the "Spiceworld" tour or "Istanbul" concerts or even the "Christmas in Spiceworld" concerts, the vocals never matched the oomph of the song... Not even Geri could do her part justice, and for me, there's something about the way she sings her opening line that it's just captivating.

The Brits was truly iconic. That dress!! BUT, in all honesty... let's take the dress out of the equation, and even if they were big enough, that performance wasn't THAT groundbreaking. It was just them dancing ... I think (without disrespect to the other girls) Geri's dress made it iconic...

Production-wise "Stop" (Brits 1998) was better... but anyway...

I agree with you. Live, the song always lost a bit of its power. The closest it ever came was in the Return Tour, only damaged by the fact that it was not sang live...

The Brits though.. I don't know. I feel like without the dress the performance would still have been part of the canon of great Brits performances. Not just because of the performance itself but the context around it. They were the biggest group in the World, flying the flag across all continents. Take that dress away and you still have the first all female group opening the Brits, being sexually provocative (for its time! Panties, thursts!) and with two of the top pop tracks of the past 12months.

They were, beyond a comercial success, a truly cultural phenomenon. Any appearance of them at an event of that scale would have made them one of - if not the highlights of that event.

Would it have been iconic without Geri's dress? Probably not. But it would still be regarded as a memorable one, I think.
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 04 Mar 2016, 04:01

It was the video/song that got me to fall in love with them, buy the album and a t-shirt. I still have that recording on VHS tape and it just makes me wonder sometimes how different my life would have been without some Spice craziness in it. :love:
Jay
Mod

Re: WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ☆ Discussion Thread (4th Single from 'Spice')

Postby Jay » 03 Mar 2017, 13:12

Released 20 years ago today! :love:

I feel like the 20th anniversaries for all the 'Spice' releases have come around so quickly, one moment it was Wannabe and already it's the 4th single, haha.

This was their 4th #1 single in a row in the UK, which at the time was record breaking!
ForeverSpiceBoy
Location: Make it loud, 'cos the world is my dance floor! (Mexican living in Chile)

Re: 20 Years: WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ☆ Discussion Thread (4th Single from 'Spice')

Postby ForeverSpiceBoy » 03 Mar 2017, 14:17

One of my favourites upbeat songs, I love playing the remix that was played at the movie. The song is perfect, and with that big long intro in the return tour was even more perfect!!!
If they ever toured again, WDYTYA should be the opening song with a big dance intro and making a wink at the Brits performance.
Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Mar 2017, 15:54

Jay wrote:I can't pinpoint why, but I've always loved the TOTP performance of Who Do You Think You Are.

Maybe because they all look flawless and sexy and even usually sporty Mel C had more feminine hairstyle and looked cute! And it's so colourful and kitsch and even though it's mimed it's one of my faves performances of them, too!

Speaking about WDYTYA I still can't believe how I had not SLIGHTEST idea it even was a single and had its own video until like 1999 or 2000 maybe when they were making all those weekends or even maybe weeks with Spice Girls on VH1 and playing their videos and documentaries about them all time long. This was the first time I've released it was actually a single and was shocked and hooked, as for 3 years was living in that ignorance, lol. Cos even though the Spice Girls were huge in Poland and on the to/radio/press all the time I couldn't remember hearing WDYTYA even once before (and they were playing 'Mama' constantly!). And then I put my Spice CD on and was playing it constantly cos the song was always one of my faves but then thanks to the video I rediscovered it again! I remember I couldn't believe how beautiful they all were in their solo sections and they looks over there always remain some of my faves of them! I was wondering how on Earth, is this a brand new single from and old album or what, how comes I didn't know the video?!
PoshInMaine
Previous username(s): BostonBeebs

Postby PoshInMaine » 03 Mar 2017, 20:49

Jay wrote:I can't pinpoint why, but I've always loved the TOTP performance of Who Do You Think You Are.

I agree. It's very high energy and the choreography was on point. They all looked very pretty and very much in character too!
GZ10

Re: 20 Years: WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ☆ Discussion Thread (4th Single from 'Spice')

Postby GZ10 » 04 Mar 2017, 01:03

Who Do You Think You Are is still my favorite single! I looove the beat. The live versions give me such life. The ROTSG Studio demo of the song was exactly what I needed in my life lol. The extended intro is everything <3
7eleven

Postby 7eleven » 04 Mar 2017, 08:38

GZ10 wrote:Who Do You Think You Are is still my favorite single! I looove the beat. The live versions give me such life. The ROTSG Studio demo of the song was exactly what I needed in my life lol. The extended intro is everything <3

Where can you listen to these? I agree regarding the beat, must be the best beat of theirs - after '2 Become 1'.
Official Spiceworld

Postby Official Spiceworld » 04 Mar 2017, 15:44

Great video and my favourite Spice single.

Such an amazing time. BRITs, #1 in America...the Spice craze was gaining a lot of momentum around this team.
P_05_H
Custom Title: SPICE

Postby P_05_H » 04 Mar 2017, 20:08

same here! I love this performance. I love their dance move at the start, reminds me of the spice world the game
James
Custom Title: Legacy member

Postby James » 05 Mar 2017, 00:28

I honestly feel sick at all these anniversaries. Where did the time go? In a blink of an eye we'll be looking at Wannabe 25.

WDYTYA is a fabulous song. I was always disappointed by the live arrangements, it could've been a lot "bigger" than it was and I don't feel they ever quite got it right.
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 05 Mar 2017, 01:18

It's absolutely insane to think that it has been 20 years since its release... I still love it to bits and I have an official (?) T-shirt with the title of the song. Such an easy way to request a song from a DJ, just like last night at the 90s party. They always play Wannabe and I wanted to hear WDYTYA because of the anniversary. :love:
Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Mar 2017, 02:14

James wrote:I honestly feel sick at all these anniversaries. Where did the time go? In a blink of an eye we'll be looking at Wannabe 25.

I know. It's actually so scary. The thing is with each year the time goes faster and faster! I can't believe that we're in the third month of this year already, I feel like few days ago I celebrated New Year's!!!

Those Spice singles seem to be like not that far away and it's been two decades already! How comes?! And to think that all of the solo efforts felt always quite new and fresh to me comparing to the group's music and to think now that for example WTYSL? Will turn 16 in few weeks and FM will be like 14! Omg. I feel so old now, really ancient:/
menime123

Postby menime123 » 05 Mar 2017, 03:46

This isn't just one of my favourite Spice songs, but one of my favourite songs of all time. It's slightly unique (to an extent) too in that it's not about love, sex or friendship.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 09 Mar 2017, 16:08

Today marks 20 years since it reached #1 in the UK!

Glad to see a few of you loving that TOTP performance too. :D I had it recorded on VHS and played it so many times over. <3

I agree that their live performances of it on tour never quite hit the mark like the studio version does, unfortunately.
Official Spiceworld

Postby Official Spiceworld » 09 Mar 2017, 16:21

Jay wrote:Today marks 20 years since it reached #1 in the UK!

Glad to see a few of you loving that TOTP performance too. :D I had it recorded on VHS and played it so many times over. <3

I agree that their live performances of it on tour never quite hit the mark like the studio version does, unfortunately.

The first British group to have their first 4 singles go to #1 :D

Return to “Spice Girls”