WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ☆ Discussion Thread (4th Single from 'Spice')

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.

Who Do You Think You Are:

I love it
82%
I like it
9%
I don't mind it (neither particularly like it or dislike it)
10%
I dislike it
No votes
I hate it
No votes

Total votes: 103
Jay
Mod

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ☆ Discussion Thread (4th Single from 'Spice')

Postby Jay » 22 Oct 2015, 22:47

Wannabe | Say You'll Be There | 2 Become 1 | Mama | Who Do You Think You Are | Spice Up Your Life | Too Much | Stop | Viva Forever | Goodbye | Holler | Let Love Lead The Way | Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)

One day, two threads! Appropriate for a Double A Side, I think. :cool: 'Who Do You Think You Are' was the other half of the Spice Girls' fourth single, alongside 'Mama'.

Discussion points: the videos (do you prefer the normal version or the Comic Relief version featuring the Sugar Lumps? :D ), the artwork, the lyrics, performances, its success, THAT Brit Awards performance, etc. Discuss anything to do with 'Who Do You Think You Are'!

========================================

What I wrote about 'Who Do You Think You Are' in the Spice Rate from 2014:

Starting off the Top 10 results is 'Who Do You Think You Are' by the Spice Girls. This was one half of a double a side single with 'Mama', and was released as the fourth and final single from 'Spice'. While 'Mama' catered as a perfect gift for Mother's Day in 1997, the disco pop song 'Who Do You Think You Are' was that year's Comic Relief song. The single is certified platinum, and is one of the best selling charity singles in UK chart history.

This was a record breaking release for the girls - it made them the first act in UK chart history to see their first four singles enter at #1. They'd later extend this to five and six, with 'Spice Up Your Life' and 'Too Much'. They held the record until 2000, when Westlife saw their seventh single become their 7th #1 in the UK.

'Who Do You Think You Are'/'Mama' was also a #1 single in Ireland, and a Top 10 hit in the Netherlands, Germany, New Zealand, Switzerland and Belgium. It didn't get a US release, as the Spice Girls followed up '2 Become 1' with 'Spice Up Your Life'.

The Brits performance of 'Who Do You Think You Are' is without a doubt the Spice Girls' most definitive performance of the 1990s, in part helped along by Geri's outfit - the iconic Union Jack dress, one of the most recognisable dresses in history and a symbol of Cool Britannia.

'Who Do You Think You Are' has two music video versions - one being the amazing comedy version for Comic Relief, featuring spoof band Sugar Lumps. Sugar Lumps members included female comediennes Kathy Burke, Llewella Gideon, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders & singer Lulu, who dressed up as Sporty, Scary, Posh, Ginger and Baby respectively!

viewtopic.php?p=4022578#p4022578
schizophonic_spice

Re: Who Do You Think You Are

Postby schizophonic_spice » 22 Oct 2015, 23:01

Love its its such a fantastic pop song. The instrumental could easily be sampled today and work so well.
Tiiger

Postby Tiiger » 23 Oct 2015, 00:09

Their best song, imo! Love it to bits!
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 23 Oct 2015, 03:12

I only put Like because I feel the album version is a bit dated. Now the ROTSG with the build up of the intro is nice, especially with a live band... but I listened to it in the car today and I didn't even finish it the whole way through.
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 23 Oct 2015, 05:18

I like it, don't love it as much as I used to, at least the regular version. But I put love it because I absolutely love the Morales Club remix of the song.
Prefer it over the original.

7eleven

Postby 7eleven » 23 Oct 2015, 10:33

This is the only song that I always skip from 'Spice'. I don't know why I don't like it but I find it too loud. However, the video for 'Who do you think you are' is one of their best.
onebigfan

Postby onebigfan » 23 Oct 2015, 10:38

Loved it, still love it! :love:
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 23 Oct 2015, 13:47

I like it but it's not my favourite single but the video is cool.
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Postby Official Spiceworld » 23 Oct 2015, 16:48

Obviously it's very 90s and 100% a party track. But it always remains fresh and timeless.

And like SUYL and Stop, it's matured with age and actually gotten better.

So I voted for 'I love it'!
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 23 Oct 2015, 19:30

One of their best upbeat songs... REALLY good for partying! I can't get enough of the opening bars... It's iconic on its own way (at least for me)... It's really catchy! I just wish they'd released another dance record... (I know "Holler" is kind of, but not a real dance number, IMO at least).

I think it was the perfect single choice and it showed a different side to them (each single was cohesive to their sound but still its own in terms of direction).

The video is really good, weirdly good! I prefer the version without the Sugar Lumps... I do find that version fun and it did its part really good for the whole Comic Relief thing but, on the other hand, it detracts from seeing just the girls doing their own thing. On the "just Spice Girls" video, each girl shines and look so fierce.

I think that, sadly, none live performance has captured the song's vibe and energy. The "Return" did a good instrumental and production set up but it obviously wasn't live... and during the "Spiceworld" tour or "Istanbul" concerts or even the "Christmas in Spiceworld" concerts, the vocals never matched the oomph of the song... Not even Geri could do her part justice, and for me, there's something about the way she sings her opening line that it's just captivating.

The Brits was truly iconic. That dress!! BUT, in all honesty... let's take the dress out of the equation, and even if they were big enough, that performance wasn't THAT groundbreaking. It was just them dancing ... I think (without disrespect to the other girls) Geri's dress made it iconic...

Production-wise "Stop" (Brits 1998) was better... but anyway...

The single cover, as I put it on the "Mama" thread is good and fits nicely with the vibe of the song...

I also prefer the shorter version of this song and, is it just me or the single version, apart from being a chorus shorter, has more punch to it on the instrumentals? (Bass?)

-I think I'm the only one writing a bit too much on each of these threads :D
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 24 Oct 2015, 04:02

I can't pinpoint why, but I've always loved the TOTP performance of Who Do You Think You Are.

TeddyBear
Custom Title: hit the lights

Postby TeddyBear » 24 Oct 2015, 13:00

I used to LOVE it but it didn't age as well as some of their singles.. I still like it tho...
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 24 Oct 2015, 17:24

Geri was everything in Who Do You Think You Are :love:
poshbaby97
Custom Title: generation N E X T.

Postby poshbaby97 » 25 Oct 2015, 05:30

Love love LOVE this song!
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 28 Oct 2015, 03:33

I'll just use this topic to throw some appreciation in the direction of 'Baby Come Round'. I feel like this song isn't really that well rated on DenDen? It's obviously B Side material, but it's still good. *.*

I'll wind you up like a brand new toy... :music:
Dave87

Postby Dave87 » 28 Oct 2015, 03:52

It's okay. I don't love it or hate it.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 28 Oct 2015, 05:43

Jay wrote:I'll just use this topic to throw some appreciation in the direction of 'Baby Come Round'. I feel like this song isn't really that well rated on DenDen? It's obviously B Side material, but it's still good. *.*

I'll wind you up like a brand new toy... :music:

It's a nice track but for some major part of the song, it seems like a Melanie C track instead of a Spice Girls single...
Poshboy78

Postby Poshboy78 » 28 Oct 2015, 16:31

Their proper disco classic!

The video is colourful, enjoyable and pure fun.

Shame that this song is so difficult to perform properly live: I'm not particularly fond of their tours performances. The ROTSGT was too fake, the CISW was messy and during the SW tour it was plain. At the Brits they were iconic but I can't call it a live performance.
VodkaMouth

Postby VodkaMouth » 28 Oct 2015, 16:36

I love it, but I can't deny the fact I used to enjoy it much more a few years ago. I guess after knowing it for almost 20 years I'm finally a bit over it!
Silence is golden
Custom Title: AKA S.I.G

Postby Silence is golden » 28 Oct 2015, 17:14

PeruvianSpice wrote:I also prefer the shorter version of this song and, is it just me or the single version, apart from being a chorus shorter, has more punch to it on the instrumentals? (Bass?)

The single version does indeed have a slightly different production/mix, done, like all the others, by Mark 'Spike' Stent :)
Joanhs

Postby Joanhs » 28 Oct 2015, 17:41

I know a lot of non-fans who believe this is their best song. It really gets people on the floor, and makes you feel something great. The verses are weird, but everybody loves the chorus.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 28 Oct 2015, 18:21

Poshboy78 wrote:Their proper disco classic!

The video is colourful, enjoyable and pure fun.

Shame that this song is so difficult to perform properly live: I'm not particularly fond of their tours performances. The ROTSGT was too fake, the CISW was messy and during the SW tour it was plain. At the Brits they were iconic but I can't call it a live performance.

Perfect way to put it! I agree 100%
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 28 Oct 2015, 18:25

Silence is golden wrote:
PeruvianSpice wrote:I also prefer the shorter version of this song and, is it just me or the single version, apart from being a chorus shorter, has more punch to it on the instrumentals? (Bass?)

The single version does indeed have a slightly different production/mix, done, like all the others, by Mark 'Spike' Stent :)

Thanks, I knew I heard something different on the single version... and it definitely sounds more powerful

But I don't hear any difference on "Wannabe", "Say You'll Be There" on their single version... they sound the same to the album.

As for "2 Become 1" and "Mama"... they have difference in lyrics, and shorter versión, respectively but they do sound the same :D
Silence is golden
Custom Title: AKA S.I.G

Postby Silence is golden » 28 Oct 2015, 18:34

PeruvianSpice wrote:
Silence is golden wrote:

Thanks, I knew I heard something different on the single version... and it definitely sounds more powerful

But I don't hear any difference on "Wannabe", "Say You'll Be There" on their single version... they sound the same to the album.

As for "2 Become 1" and "Mama"... they have difference in lyrics, and shorter versión, respectively but they do sound the same :D

The album version of Wannabe is the same as the single version. Maybe an original version exists, but when the single was released and did so well, it made sense to have that single version on the album. The same goes for Say You'll Be There. The version on the album is the Single Mix. The 'original' version can be heard in the background to the girls being interviewed on the 20 minute Wannabe EPK promo VHS, and also they perform the song with the 'original' backing track on MTV (their first performance if I remember correctly).
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 28 Oct 2015, 18:40

Silence is golden wrote:
PeruvianSpice wrote:
Silence is golden wrote:

The album version of Wannabe is the same as the single version. Maybe an original version exists, but when the single was released and did so well, it made sense to have that single version on the album. The same goes for Say You'll Be There. The version on the album is the Single Mix. The 'original' version can be heard in the background to the girls being interviewed on the 20 minute Wannabe EPK promo VHS, and also they perform the song with the 'original' backing track on MTV (their first performance if I remember correctly).

Thanks! Gonna check it out right now

Return to “Spice Girls”