The Spice Girls Call Out Dutch TV Host For Defending Blackface

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
arrow

The Spice Girls Call Out Dutch TV Host For Defending Blackface

Postby arrow » 11 Mar 2017, 08:52

Surprised no one posted this yet. I kept checking to see if I would see it on here but didn't so decided to post it myself. Proud to see the girls standing up to racism. Around 4:10 they are asked if they will split up after the world tour which of course they said they wouldn't but they started to drift apart before the tour was over. Love Geri screaming gay power at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrWEUil8_oM

‘No, no!’ the five chant, before Mel B says: ‘I think they shouldn’t paint their faces. You should get proper black people to do it. You shouldn’t paint their faces, I don’t think that’s very good.’
As the host tries to explain that it is tradition, Geri then adds ‘I think you should change it’ before Mel C comments: ‘This is the ’90s!’
And then as the host of the programme adds that it is their culture, Geri simply adds: ‘Update your culture.’
Male_C

Re: The Spice Girls Call Out Dutch TV Host For Defending Blackface

Postby Male_C » 11 Mar 2017, 10:04

OMG at the interviewer calling Emma a dummy lmao :laugh:

What a mess of an interview. The black face :nono: , Mel B laughing after the interviewer screams "SHIT" at the children (I'm American, it must mean something else in dutch)
spicyhot

Postby spicyhot » 11 Mar 2017, 14:27

I love when these old videos resurface showing The Spice Girls standing up for what's right.
spicyhot

Postby spicyhot » 11 Mar 2017, 14:35

Victoria Beckham invented the word LOL... Skip to 6.55.
Xander21

Postby Xander21 » 11 Mar 2017, 14:38

This is a very old tradition that has been changed a little bit ever since... I think people get a wrong impression from the Black Pete...

He is black from SOOTH because he goes down the chimney to bring the presents to the children. Mel B says they have to use real black people... but wouldn't that create other people to whine about racism too since they seem to be kind of working for the White Sinterklaas? No one complains when small people play elves for Santa... and they work in a factory! I really think it makes people think about slavery basically...

It's all a bit out of control since everyone seems more and more touchy about anything these days. They changed the Pete's face to all kind of colours in the last few years... fine but don't take a crap on a CHILDRENS HOLIDAY. Kid's are fine with anything... it's the adults that make a big deal out of it. I thought the spicers were a bit oblivious about it all. The Scissor Sisters were on this show when the black pete's were present also... A band that advocates for respect for everyone no matter how you look and feel...yet were offended by them also... how ignorant.

The presenter who is gay adopted 2 black boys and changed his opinion too cause it seemed to affect his kids. He still presents kids programs and last december tried to change kids positive opinion about black Pete during a live broadcast... how hypocritical.

That show was fun though... at 3:30 the girl whines for an autograph and Paul goes: Oh just shut the hell up!

The spice girls were asked to perform live because everyone sings live in this show... so when they didn't the Presenter said- See you next week with nooo lypsynching.

Shit means shit

When Mel B sticks out her tongue the presenter uses the word 'Geil' which kinda means a cheap sexual 'Hot' a not so appropriate way when kids are present.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 11 Mar 2017, 15:40

Xander21 wrote:This is a very old tradition that has been changed a little bit ever since... I think people get a wrong impression from the Black Pete...

He is black from SOOTH because he goes down the chimney to bring the presents to the children. Mel B says they have to use real black people... but wouldn't that create other people to whine about racism too since they seem to be kind of working for the White Sinterklaas? No one complains when small people play elves for Santa... and they work in a factory! I really think it makes people think about slavery basically...

It's all a bit out of control since everyone seems more and more touchy about anything these days. They changed the Pete's face to all kind of colours in the last few years... fine but don't take a crap on a CHILDRENS HOLIDAY. Kid's are fine with anything... it's the adults that make a big deal out of it. I thought the spicers were a bit oblivious about it all. The Scissor Sisters were on this show when the black pete's were present also... A band that advocates for respect for everyone no matter how you look and feel...yet were offended by them also... how ignorant.

The presenter who is gay adopted 2 black boys and changed his opinion too cause it seemed to affect his kids. He still presents kids programs and last december tried to change kids positive opinion about black Pete during a live broadcast... how hypocritical.

That show was fun though... at 3:30 the girl whines for an autograph and Paul goes: Oh just shut the hell up!

The spice girls were asked to perform live because everyone sings live in this show... so when they didn't the Presenter said- See you next week with nooo lypsynching.

Shit means shit

When Mel B sticks out her tongue the presenter uses the word 'Geil' which kinda means a cheap sexual 'Hot' a not so appropriate way when kids are present.

Have you considered maybe you're the one being ignorant since so many people, including the presenter, have said it is offensive... :shrug:

The fact it is a cultural holiday is never going to be an excuse, and Kids are ok with anything because they are taught what is ok :nono:
Xander21

Postby Xander21 » 11 Mar 2017, 17:43

I just don't see what the problem is... like... at all and the majority of dutch people and people from the DUTCH Antilles Islands (WHO ARE BLACK!) share the same view... so it will never dissapear. There are much worse things in the world you should worry about than about black make up.
Jer

Postby Jer » 11 Mar 2017, 18:21

Xander21 wrote:This is a very old tradition that has been changed a little bit ever since... I think people get a wrong impression from the Black Pete...

Shit means shit

You have to remember racism has deep roots. While you may not think Zwarte Pete discriminates or mocks Black people, you must remember that there is a worldwide history of racism, particularly instances where Black culture is mocked (look up minsterel shows for a start). Then add onto it the deep roots that racism has and the legacy of slavery that still persist to this day. Racism hasn't disappeared my friend, we are far from colourblind. Black Pete may have originated from pre-Christian, Pagan rituals, but he was restyled as black during the 19th century, a time of slavery and Dutch colonialism (just a little suspect).

So to those who do not have the privilege to grow up being ignorant about the colour of their skin, how it will limit them from certain opportunities, mean that they will be ascribed negative characteristics or to those who bear witness to racism in their daily experiences, you cannot minimize how this tradition makes them feel and what it symbolizes.

This instance of calling out bullshit makes me love the Spice Girls even more.
Last edited by Jer on 11 Mar 2017, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
felx

Postby felx » 11 Mar 2017, 18:22

Xander21 wrote:I just don't see what the problem is... like... at all and the majority of dutch people and people from the DUTCH Antilles Islands (WHO ARE BLACK!) share the same view... so it will never dissapear. There are much worse things in the world you should worry about than about black make up.

agree with you.....

some people are overreacting...... :shrug:
"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'"
Jer

Postby Jer » 11 Mar 2017, 18:24

felx wrote:
Xander21 wrote:I just don't see what the problem is... like... at all and the majority of dutch people and people from the DUTCH Antilles Islands (WHO ARE BLACK!) share the same view... so it will never dissapear. There are much worse things in the world you should worry about than about black make up.

agree with you.....

some people are overreacting...... :shrug:

Islands that were colonized and forced to adhere to Dutch culture and law doesn't really prove your point.
alexgirardii
Custom Title: back in business

Postby alexgirardii » 12 Mar 2017, 02:23

ANYONE who says it's ok to do blackface please read this. http://www.huffpostbrasil.com/entry/if- ... d0b1588dda
Doing blackface is totally unappropriated and racist, that's NOT OK. That's not overreacting. That's history of racism and its symbols.
Spice Girls feat. Indigno Kid
icecream

Postby icecream » 12 Mar 2017, 03:36

I agree no one should do this.

The Dutch guy said it's tradition or culture or something. I don't get it why are they painting their face black what's tradition/culture about it? Anyone know?
kamel

Postby kamel » 12 Mar 2017, 03:57

Black Pete is a racist caricature, its a remnant of the Netherland's colonial past
Black Pete was originally written as a black slave character , when Schenkman wrote his children book slavery was still alive and well in Dutch colonies, beyond Dutch this origninated for the purpose of mocking and dehumanizing black people
Xander21

Postby Xander21 » 12 Mar 2017, 10:43

So it is about slavery... which is totally not relevant any longer. People are fine with little children making clothes for Primark but this Black Pete who are just childrens gift giving friends nowadays are a disgrace... they have all kinds of colors these days anyway but I think it's just a reminder to people of the past and they wish to bury that. I just don't see the fuss if you live in the 'now'.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 12 Mar 2017, 15:03

Xander21 wrote:So it is about slavery... which is totally not relevant any longer. People are fine with little children making clothes for Primark but this Black Pete who are just childrens gift giving friends nowadays are a disgrace... they have all kinds of colors these days anyway but I think it's just a reminder to people of the past and they wish to bury that. I just don't see the fuss if you live in the 'now'.

You're just part of the problem.

Let's just disregard the Nazi's and their treatment of Jews in the concentration camps and use Nazi symbology no matter how much it offends... You can't just disregard history and the treatment of a whole religion, race, gender, sexuality and "live in the now." It's important to remember and respect the past so we don't continue to do the same things today.
Thom
Previous username(s): THOM
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 12 Mar 2017, 21:49

he is not black from SOOTH! why does he have red lips then? and such an afro wig?

yes it's tradition but slavery was also a tradition
a tradition does not make something right

it's racist and that's that.
...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

http://youtu.be/oxRWqirflxk
Thom
Previous username(s): THOM
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 12 Mar 2017, 21:50

but on the topic, this tradition of SINTERKLAAS is the ancestor of SANTA CLAUS. Sinterklaas was here many generations before COCA COLA (!!!!) took it and commercialize it into SANTA.
...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

http://youtu.be/oxRWqirflxk
TimeOut
Custom Title: Roy

Postby TimeOut » 12 Mar 2017, 22:36

OMG this topic!! :Dizzy: :Dizzy:
TimeOut
Custom Title: Roy

Postby TimeOut » 12 Mar 2017, 22:38

Male_C wrote:OMG at the interviewer calling Emma a dummy lmao :laugh:

What a mess of an interview. The black face :nono: , Mel B laughing after the interviewer screams "SHIT" at the children (I'm American, it must mean something else in dutch)

Shit has the same meaning here :laugh:
Xander21

Postby Xander21 » 12 Mar 2017, 23:46

It's black Pete and he will never go...deal with it... he might have come from racist times but was turned into something positive... if he was yellow the chinese wouldn't give a hoot. Just shows how overly sensitive, judgemental and hypocrite this generation has become. Go worry about about far more important stuff... these blacks actually have a job. :laugh:
kamel

Postby kamel » 13 Mar 2017, 00:10

Its racist full stop!
alexgirardii
Custom Title: back in business

Postby alexgirardii » 13 Mar 2017, 04:12

I want to know if anyone who's defending blackface here is black.
It's 2017 and we still have white people saying what's racism or not. :Dizzy:
Spice Girls feat. Indigno Kid
arrow

Postby arrow » 13 Mar 2017, 06:05

Xander21 wrote:It's black Pete and he will never go...deal with it... he might have come from racist times but was turned into something positive... if he was yellow the chinese wouldn't give a hoot. Just shows how overly sensitive, judgemental and hypocrite this generation has become. Go worry about about far more important stuff... these blacks actually have a job. :laugh:

Xander this is exactly the problem with "white privilege" you think because something doesn't affect you that it's not a problem or it's not wrong. You can see that Mel B was the most vocally upset as she's the only spice girl of color thus the only one who would have experienced racism which you have read about if you read her autobiography. Thankfully Mel C and Geri were also vocal in their objection even tho it's not something that directly
Affects them as white women.
Last edited by arrow on 13 Mar 2017, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
arrow

Postby arrow » 13 Mar 2017, 06:09

spicefreak wrote:
Xander21 wrote:So it is about slavery... which is totally not relevant any longer. People are fine with little children making clothes for Primark but this Black Pete who are just childrens gift giving friends nowadays are a disgrace... they have all kinds of colors these days anyway but I think it's just a reminder to people of the past and they wish to bury that. I just don't see the fuss if you live in the 'now'.

You're just part of the problem.

Let's just disregard the Nazi's and their treatment of Jews in the concentration camps and use Nazi symbology no matter how much it offends... You can't just disregard history and the treatment of a whole religion, race, gender, sexuality and "live in the now." It's important to remember and respect the past so we don't continue to do the same things today.

Thank you spicefreak for making this point. People are more sensitive to the holocaust than they are to slavery.

alexgirardii wrote:I want to know if anyone who's defending blackface here is black.
It's 2017 and we still have white people saying what's racism or not. :Dizzy:

Exactly Alex!
spicyjellybaby
Custom Title: AKA Kingellybaby

Postby spicyjellybaby » 13 Mar 2017, 10:15

Return to “Spice Girls”