Version of Me & Anymore - Charts Topic

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
Paul
Custom Title: Say No To The World

Re: Version of Me & Anymore - Charts Topic

Postby Paul » 23 Feb 2017, 09:28

People buying from abroad did not count towards UK chart. Not sure what German regulations are.
allatsea

Postby allatsea » 23 Feb 2017, 13:24

King wrote:It looks like VOM will be her worst charting album in GSA region. She needs a hit single ASAP!

It probably will, but even to get a top 40 album in Germany five years after The Sea, and without a hit single or decent airplay is a real achievement. Switzerland has been been really good on iTunes this week though. It has been solidly top 20/30 for most of the week and only really started to drop yesterday (now at #65) - again, without a hit single, that's amazing! Does anyone know the midweek for Switzerland?
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 23 Feb 2017, 13:50

It all depends on what the label that is backing her expectations are for the release. Feb is obviously a slow month sales wise so getting a high peak should be relatively easier. It also depends how much money the label have invested into things, did they pay for the studio time to record the extra song, did they pay towards the production of the deluxe etc.

The 2nd week will be more important because 28-out and 36-out are basically the same thing in a labels eyes, where as 36-52-75-89- shows some general interest and not just a fan purchase first week and after be like flogging a dead horse.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
allatsea

Postby allatsea » 23 Feb 2017, 15:29

I suspect some labels are offering distribution deals to 'legacy' artists with little or no financial outlay. Shane Filan put out an album on EastWest/Warners last year and the experience was very similar - no 'proper' single and the cheapest promo vid you can imagine. Not saying that is what happened with VoM, but perhaps labels are scooping up lots of established artists with decent first week sales and having to outlay much cash?
allatsea

Postby allatsea » 23 Feb 2017, 15:34

*and not having to advance much cash?
scrabbles

Postby scrabbles » 23 Feb 2017, 23:34

But if my copy ordered from amazon.co.uk sent to my German home address in October 2016 did NOT count towards the UK charts, then what chart did it count toward?

It must count somehow, as I cannot imagine these being 'empty' sales, as in, not counting at all?
tommie

Postby tommie » 24 Feb 2017, 02:23

scrabbles wrote:But if my copy ordered from amazon.co.uk sent to my German home address in October 2016 did NOT count towards the UK charts, then what chart did it count toward?

It must count somehow, as I cannot imagine these being 'empty' sales, as in, not counting at all?

No, it counts towards no chart.

Obviously, Melanie's record label would know that it sold a copy, but really, the international sales are so miniscule that it really doesn't matter...
scrabbles

Postby scrabbles » 24 Feb 2017, 05:25

Okay... I'm really surprised, I must say. Then, the idea of releasing it in different territories at different times is one I can't find myself agreeing with. Sure, the record label makes revenue from each album sold, but if it ends up being ineligible to chart, then I don't really see any benefits here.

Anyway: just so you know, everyone, the official German chart position will be announced at 11 am UK time and at noon German time TODAY!
tommie

Postby tommie » 24 Feb 2017, 08:52

scrabbles wrote:Okay... I'm really surprised, I must say. Then, the idea of releasing it in different territories at different times is one I can't find myself agreeing with. Sure, the record label makes revenue from each album sold, but if it ends up being ineligible to chart, then I don't really see any benefits here.

Well, the benefits is of course that it (in theory) gives Melanie more time to focus on promoting in different territories hopefully leading to more casual fans picking up the album. Personally, I do tend to be pro a "soft launch" in all territories with at least the album being available to buy in digital and listening to in streaming form. That way she doesn't miss out on a lot of those sales - if and when they decide to launch the album properly they can always pull it temporarily while the fans will have gotten the chance to obtain it legally.
allatsea

Postby allatsea » 24 Feb 2017, 13:36

scrabbles wrote:Anyway: just so you know, everyone, the official German chart position will be announced at 11 am UK time and at noon German time TODAY!

Where are they announced?
ilovepollo
Previous username(s): Josesainz19, Josealcazar87

Postby ilovepollo » 24 Feb 2017, 16:26

If this is an official chart, she's not in the top 100
https://www.offiziellecharts.de/charts/ ... 7286000000
HIMzone666

Postby HIMzone666 » 24 Feb 2017, 16:30

scrabbles wrote:Okay... I'm really surprised, I must say. Then, the idea of releasing it in different territories at different times is one I can't find myself agreeing with.

i think it just happend because she did not have a deal for germany, switzerland, austria, when Version of me was about to be released in UK. we did not have any information about release in germany when the album was already released in UK.
it is less a decission by anyone, but just the fact that Mel was still looking for a record deal her to be able to sell here.
HIMzone666

Postby HIMzone666 » 24 Feb 2017, 16:34

ilovepollo wrote:If this is an official chart, she's not in the top 100
https://www.offiziellecharts.de/charts/ ... 7286000000

i think this is still the former week.
Zeitraum: 17.02.2017 - 23.02.2017

and the countdown for update, which will be in 15 minutes. so i think the current charts are about to be shown in 15 minutes.
chris92

Postby chris92 » 24 Feb 2017, 17:06

HIMzone666

Postby HIMzone666 » 24 Feb 2017, 17:46

chris92 wrote:Germany: 34

https://www.offiziellecharts.de/suche

She's not in the top album in Austria

http://www.austriancharts.at/charts/alben

thank you. i did not think about searching. just looked at the album charts and was disappointed that currently only top5 can be seen.
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 24 Feb 2017, 17:52

Wikipedia says The Sea didn't chart ?
Red Boy
Custom Title: On A Mission

Postby Red Boy » 24 Feb 2017, 17:56

chris92 wrote:She's not in the top album in Austria

http://www.austriancharts.at/charts/alben

It currently shows the previous week's chart.
HIMzone666

Postby HIMzone666 » 24 Feb 2017, 19:53

Paul wrote:People buying from abroad did not count towards UK chart. Not sure what German regulations are.

really? i thought all ordered from her directly would count. and i still can imagine that, since VoM had the best entry since "reason" (?). so i thought all sales were counted. i know from another band, HIM, nearly unknow in USA, that they had very special deluxe edition of there albums in USA only (which could be ordered online), and all three albums went top 20 (due to fans worldwide ordering these rare editions).

but, as i know, i don'tknow how it counts in UK, and I also don't know how it counts in germany. i thought all ordered here would also count as sales. if not, i am really positively surprised about no. 34 in album charts without the orders from worldwide.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 24 Feb 2017, 20:12

HIMzone666 wrote:
Paul wrote:People buying from abroad did not count towards UK chart. Not sure what German regulations are.

really? i thought all ordered from her directly would count. and i still can imagine that, since VoM had the best entry since "reason" (?). so i thought all sales were counted. i know from another band, HIM, nearly unknow in USA, that they had very special deluxe edition of there albums in USA only (which could be ordered online), and all three albums went top 20 (due to fans worldwide ordering these rare editions).

but, as i know, i don'tknow how it counts in UK, and I also don't know how it counts in germany. i thought all ordered here would also count as sales. if not, i am really positively surprised about no. 34 in album charts without the orders from worldwide.

Best entry since Reason? It's her worse entry ever in Germany:
Northern Star [#6]
Reason [#13]
Beautiful Intentions [#15]
This Time [#15]
The Sea [#16]
Version Of Me [#34]
HIMzone666

Postby HIMzone666 » 24 Feb 2017, 20:21

spicefreak wrote:
HIMzone666 wrote:

Best entry since Reason? It's her worse entry ever in Germany:
Northern Star [#6]
Reason [#13]
Beautiful Intentions [#15]
This Time [#15]
The Sea [#16]
Version Of Me [#34]

i wanted to refer to UK when writing "best entry since "reason", sorry.

i can imagine why it is only 34 for VoM now in germany: no real single to do a pre-promotion before the album release. ok, "Dear Life" was used as "single" during the radio promotion and on TV, but it is no single. no physical release, no digital release (only the remixes). "Dear life" could only be bought as an early album track. as much as radio stations did now, i think they also prefere a real single release as promotion for an album.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 24 Feb 2017, 21:13

People are going to have to stop referring to Dear Life as if it wasn't a single. It got airplay, it was on spotify and spotify playlists, the video on her vevo channel, it has remixes to buy/stream and she performed it on radio and tv to promote it.

It bombed but it got the single treatment and was the lead single.

The album position isn't surprising, her fanbase is dwindling everywhere (i know she got to 25 in the uk but sales were low and that is with the extra expense of stocking in supermarkets).
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
allatsea

Postby allatsea » 24 Feb 2017, 21:49

Beautiful Intentions had a similar chart run in Germany to The Sea before it was resurrected by FDOML. If it wasn't for that song, This Time could have had a similar placing to VoM and we may not have necessarily had the next three albums. At least Melanie has critical success and respect now, very different to ten or twelve years ago.

When are the Swiss charts out? I predict #17
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 24 Feb 2017, 22:32

allatsea wrote:Beautiful Intentions had a similar chart run in Germany to The Sea before it was resurrected by FDOML. If it wasn't for that song, This Time could have had a similar placing to VoM and we may not have necessarily had the next three albums. At least Melanie has critical success and respect now, very different to ten or twelve years ago.

When are the Swiss charts out? I predict #17

A great album whatever charting. Wherever. Love it. Roll on April #stillmakingrecords
kamel

Postby kamel » 24 Feb 2017, 23:25

I think its a wrong single choice, if she released Anymore as a first single, the album could charted higher
HIMzone666

Postby HIMzone666 » 24 Feb 2017, 23:54

sammy01 wrote:People are going to have to stop referring to Dear Life as if it wasn't a single.

I can repeat it again: I could not buy "dear life" as a single that would count for the single charts. i don't know if spotify plays count for german single charts, but that does not matter, since there is neither a physical release here in germany, nor a "dear life"-single download to buy. only as album track, so it does not count for single charts.
we got the remixes, on amazon, not on itunes, and there was not promotion or release date for the remixes. the remixes were available about 3 weeks before the promo for the album began

Dear Life is more like a promo single here in germany, not the song was promoted in germany , the song was chosen to promote the album. they call it "single," but here in germany it was not as a real single, since I could not buy it as single, just as album track some time earlier. and there was not release date.

In UK, yes it is a real single, since there was physical cds.

i don't say that it is not a single, i say here it was not available as single, it was called a single for radio promotion.
:D

Return to “Melanie C”