Version of Me & Anymore - Charts Topic

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
goin down

Re: Version of Me & Anymore - Charts Topic

Postby goin down » 06 Mar 2017, 21:10

Reason is her weakest album for sure.

I can't believe Melanie , virgin , her team etc didn't send her back to the studio to start again !! It is so far behind the quality of NS .
'all i can tell you is to know who you are'
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 06 Mar 2017, 21:51

I quite like the fact she isn't huge - I like the more intimate gigs. Obviously I'm too though because I was really pleased when the album went top30 in the UK - sounds a bit contradictory I know!
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 06 Mar 2017, 23:23

RobKelly666 wrote:I quite like the fact she isn't huge - I like the more intimate gigs. Obviously I'm too though because I was really pleased when the album went top30 in the UK - sounds a bit contradictory I know!

I 100% understand you. The bigger the success the harder to properly see the artist is.
While it is true that Melanie always played small-medium venues, even during the NS era, I would not like to be otherwise. I really can't bother buying tickets to big shows. First of all because they are insanely expensive anf then it is very hard to get good places. More success means more media coverage, performances (the fact that in the whole VOE era we've seen just one is quite depressing) and international exposure; but when the moment of true comes, when you're going to see her live, all that is a problem.

I'm fine with how things are going. We have an album every 3-4 years with three or more singles and some Spice drama. Then some collaborations and aside projects to get us entertained between albums. That's ok.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 06 Mar 2017, 23:26

carlojosegomez8 wrote:I really don't understand why most fans including Melanie herself doesn't like the album Reason. I mean, she wrote the songs on Reason, right? It's not as great as Northern Star but why did she wrote those songs in the first place? I also think that the fans should stop blaming Reason for ending her music career. In my personal opinion it is the long wait in between album releases that ended it. Only few solid and very loyal fans like us are willing to wait for new materials no matter how long it will take for Melanie to release it. Some not so loyal supporters tend to forget her. In addition, I think most songs on Version Of Me sounded like songs from the Reason era but with electronic effects. Just saying... No matter what, I will always support Melanie. :)

People were interested and excited for her comeback, not just her fans. She opened with 35k at #5, that is not just fan purchases that was general interest too. HICA and OTH were top 10 on radio, people wanted to like the music and album and everyone and thing gave her a chance, they just decided it actually wasn't very good.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
carlojosegomez8

Postby carlojosegomez8 » 07 Mar 2017, 04:53

sammy01 wrote:
carlojosegomez8 wrote:I really don't understand why most fans including Melanie herself doesn't like the album Reason. I mean, she wrote the songs on Reason, right? It's not as great as Northern Star but why did she wrote those songs in the first place? I also think that the fans should stop blaming Reason for ending her music career. In my personal opinion it is the long wait in between album releases that ended it. Only few solid and very loyal fans like us are willing to wait for new materials no matter how long it will take for Melanie to release it. Some not so loyal supporters tend to forget her. In addition, I think most songs on Version Of Me sounded like songs from the Reason era but with electronic effects. Just saying... No matter what, I will always support Melanie. :)

People were interested and excited for her comeback, not just her fans. She opened with 35k at #5, that is not just fan purchases that was general interest too. HICA and OTH were top 10 on radio, people wanted to like the music and album and everyone and thing gave her a chance, they just decided it actually wasn't very good.

I totally agree with you on this. Many are excited on her comeback after Northern Star unfortunately Reason was not able to compensate for that wait... After people realized that it also took a while for Beautiful Intentions to be released and this happened to almost every album after. People started to loose interest and tend to forget about her.
Amaranthine18

Postby Amaranthine18 » 07 Mar 2017, 04:56

Several of the songs from Reason are so boring and unlistenable ( Lose Myself In You, Soul Boy, Do I, Home ) while several b-sides are single material ( I Love You Without Trying, Living Without You, Love To You ).
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 07 Mar 2017, 05:00

Agree! Some songs on "Reason" are bore-fests!

She had much more better songs as b-sides

And I remember the whole drama when she kept trying to be a credible, rock chick and the label made her reléase "OTH"
King

Postby King » 07 Mar 2017, 11:43

Reason was far from weak. I would change the tracklist a bit because the only two uptempo songs were at the very end which sounded weird.

The biggest problem was it was released too late when the momentum was already gone.

Wrong singles choices were also crucial in her downfall. And not to mention the horrible videos, she really has the worst videography out of all the Girls.
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 07 Mar 2017, 12:52

Amaranthine18 wrote:Several of the songs from Reason are so boring and unlistenable ( Lose Myself In You, Soul Boy, Do I, Home ) while several b-sides are single material ( I Love You Without Trying, Living Without You, Love To You ).

I really like Home, but agree with the rest! I don't know what was Virgin Records thinking... After all they make decisions considering track list, no?
King

Postby King » 07 Mar 2017, 15:29

Stas wrote:
Amaranthine18 wrote:Several of the songs from Reason are so boring and unlistenable ( Lose Myself In You, Soul Boy, Do I, Home ) while several b-sides are single material ( I Love You Without Trying, Living Without You, Love To You ).

I really like Home, but agree with the rest! I don't know what was Virgin Records thinking... After all they make decisions considering track list, no?

I think after the success of NS they just let her do whatever she wants. I doubt they were too happy with the ending result.

That's why they didn't let her release Reason as the 2nd single, which was her idea, they opted out with OTH instead. Also, a mistake.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 07 Mar 2017, 15:36

Anyone who thinks OTH as the 2nd single was a mistake is deluded. It was the only reason she got a 3rd single. Radio liked it (it peaked higher than HICA on radio) and made top 15 when feeling towards her and Reason had well and truly turned.
King

Postby King » 07 Mar 2017, 16:27

sammy01 wrote:Anyone who thinks OTH as the 2nd single was a mistake is deluded. It was the only reason she got a 3rd single. Radio liked it (it peaked higher than HICA on radio) and made top 15 when feeling towards her and Reason had well and truly turned.

YYY or LL should have been chosen instead of OTH. OTH also had a terrible video and her image, hair and clothes, were horrible.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 07 Mar 2017, 16:38

King wrote:
sammy01 wrote:Anyone who thinks OTH as the 2nd single was a mistake is deluded. It was the only reason she got a 3rd single. Radio liked it (it peaked higher than HICA on radio) and made top 15 when feeling towards her and Reason had well and truly turned.

YYY or LL should have been chosen instead of OTH. OTH also had a terrible video and her image, hair and clothes, were horrible.

YYY got it's chance and missed the top 20.
~niki~

Postby ~niki~ » 07 Mar 2017, 17:07

King wrote:

I agree the stylist dropped the ball on this video, but the whole concept was good. OTH really was one of the only radio friendly songs on the album because it was so upbeat and pop-y. Reason should have been a single, but I don't think it would have garnered all that much success tbh. Let's Love is terrible in my opinion. I have a hard time with that whole album thought, 'coz there really weren't many songs that I liked. They all seemed very B-side-y.

This was kind of her feeling-my-way-around/discovering-who-I-am-as-an-artist phase, and unfortunately she was lead in the wrong direction with her sound. Unfortunately, I think this album damaged her as an artist. Had she worked with better writers, took some more time, and gotten better advice, she could have done so much better, but I think Virgin was kind of done with her at this point. (I think I read that somewhere actually).
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 07 Mar 2017, 17:53

I think it's just some songs that were THAT BAD that dragged the álbum down even if she also has nice/great tracks there (IMO)...
tommie

Postby tommie » 08 Mar 2017, 01:04

sammy01 wrote:
King wrote:

YYY got it's chance and missed the top 20.

To be fair - Yeah Yeah Yeah's release was hampered by the fact that Melanie sprained her foot and the label rushed to release Melt as a double-A side to make up for the fact that Malevolent Mel couldn't perform YYY.
Paninaro
Custom Title: Sneaking back in...

Postby Paninaro » 08 Mar 2017, 01:27

You'd think that after the success of Never Be The Same Again and I Turn To You that Reason should have contained more R&B and dance tracks.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 08 Mar 2017, 01:41

Paninaro wrote:You'd think that after the success of Never Be The Same Again and I Turn To You that Reason should have contained more R&B and dance tracks.

Yeah it is odd. The rock tracks on NS go much harder than the soft rock of HICA too. It does make you think what anyone was thinking with Reason. What was Mel thinking recording these songs, surely she could tell they were bland. Surely the label listened to them and thought it was so watered down. It is amazing that Reason got released, maybe it was just over confidence that she was the new Robbie and it didn't really matter the material.
Amaranthine18

Postby Amaranthine18 » 08 Mar 2017, 05:25

King wrote:

I agree that she doesn't look that good on the OTH video but still, the song is still being played everywhere especially in radio stations. Besides, the music video is still cute and it has a concept. The song is good so I don't think that wearing an awful style on her music video would prevent people from buying the song/album.

I think its her attitude that made the public turned off.
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 08 Mar 2017, 11:14

My view with Reason is;

Northern Stars only real consistent criticism was that the album wasn't cohesive. The record experimented with many different styles and sounds from RnB, dance, soft rock, acoustic pop and mainstream pop. It was felt that Melanie got away with this because she was experimenting with her sound and finding her niche as a solo artist. There was an underlying expectation that the next solo record would be more cohesive.

Reason I felt come from 2 cohesive directions; Melanie's direction and the record labels.

Melanie clearly is now an established live act. At the time of releasing Reason she was still establishing this recognition. Melanie I think wanted to produce an album that would be easily transferable to playing live. Therefore, she made the decision for the next record to be mainstream pop with soft rock and acoustic elements.

The record label had reservations about this direction I think and concerns about whether this direction would prove commercially successful. They therefore began to push Melanie into recording more commercial, radio friendly sounding tracks. This is where the compromise happened which resulted in Reasons sound.

If you breakdown the album you can almost pin point which was Melanie's decision and which was the record labels:

1). Here It Comes Again - Melanie
2). Reason - Melanie
3). Lose Myself In You - Label
4). On The Horizon - Label
5). Positively Somewhere - Label
6). Melt - Melanie
7). Do I - Label
8). Soul Boy - Melanie
9). Water - Label
10). Home - Melanie
11). Let's Love - Label
12). Yeh Yeh Yeh - Melanie

Just my thoughts.

I also like Reason - it's not my least favourite Melanie C album.
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 08 Mar 2017, 14:13

I was alo a bit disapointed with Reason. Songs like Do I and Soul Boy should not be included.
kamel

Postby kamel » 08 Mar 2017, 15:24

I did like reason but its was not a great album tbh,only songs i liked are (home,water, HICA ,Yeh yeh yeh and melt) i think also she killed her carriere when she was on the ch4 reality tv show the game and her bad atittude bashing other popstars at that time such as westlife,girls aloud etc
krume.t

Postby krume.t » 08 Mar 2017, 15:34

Version of Me is #74, 2nd week in the Swiss Albums chart.
King

Postby King » 10 Mar 2017, 22:11

krume.t wrote:Version of Me is #74, 2nd week in the Swiss Albums chart.

Ouch.

It is probably out of Top 100 in Germany and it never entered Austrian Top 75. I'm very sad. Hopefully things can get better for her with next singles, but i guess that won't happen sadly.
tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 11 Mar 2017, 01:07

today's performance made any impact on itunes?
Emma Station |

Return to “Melanie C”