Victoria Beckham x Target

It’s Exhausting Being This Fabulous
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that due to a request of the Beckhams, pictures of their children are NOT allowed to be posted on the forums!
gugette

Victoria Beckham x Target

Postby gugette » 20 Oct 2016, 07:06

So excited to announce my new limited edition collaboration with @Target! Inspired by my VVB collection, coming April 2017 x vb #VBxTarget

mel2vicem

Re: Victoria Beckham x Target

Postby mel2vicem » 20 Oct 2016, 07:13

That will really expand her name in the US and follows brands like McQueen, Lim and Missoni
jezebelvictoria

Postby jezebelvictoria » 20 Oct 2016, 07:30

I am NOT pleased with this! :evil: I don't care if I sound like a 'snob'; I hate this idea. I was dreading the day something like this would happen.
Poshlady

Postby Poshlady » 20 Oct 2016, 07:54

Victoria Beckham for Target includes more than 200 items for women and kids, marking the designer’s first foray into designing childrenswear, something that Target just so happens to excel in. The collection reflects the essence of the Victoria, Victoria Beckham line, with easy-to-wear dresses, rompers and playful tops and bottoms for women, and corresponding styles for girls, toddler and baby.

While you’ll have to wait a little longer to see the full collection, we caught up with Victoria about designing the new line and collaborating with Target. Read on to learn more:

How are your two lines—Victoria Beckham and Victoria, Victoria Beckham—different, and what’s the essence of your line with Target?
The Victoria, Victoria Beckham line, or “VVB" as it’s often called, was launched three years after I began Ready-to-Wear, and is a lifestyle range incorporating all the pieces my customer needs in her wardrobe—at a more accessible price point. I always describe VVB as the younger sister to the Ready–to–Wear. It’s a range that reflects what I think of as the more “playful" side of my own style. The collections within VVB are fun and full of character, but always stay true to the refined brand spirit. The line of women’s and childrenswear that I have created with Target perfectly encapsulates the spirit of VVB and features some of the earlier silhouettes that the category originally became known for. From the outset of my brand, I have always designed clothes that I want to wear, and that’s exactly what I have done here, but this time there are also clothes that my daughter would love to wear, too!

What was the biggest difference designing for kids for the first time compared to designing for women?
Designing for children is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, so I was incredibly excited to be able to incorporate childrenswear into this collection. When working on it, I really felt I could tell a story and have fun with it—and I think the clothes reflect just how much fun I had designing them! Being a mother has helped me understand what’s important when it comes to the category. I have had years of learning that function is often just as important as form, and that children need to be able to feel comfortable and free in what they wear. For me it was really all about finding a balance between the fun elements and the real-life functionality of a garment.

What interested you in working with Target?
For a while now, I have been thinking how great it would be to work on clothes for a customer that either doesn’t want to pay or can’t pay designer prices. I loved the idea of opening the brand up to a wider audience and being able to share my vision with a broader customer base. So when Target—a company based on accessibility and inclusiveness—proposed a collaboration which combined all of these things, it was an easy decision to make. I have always said that the best way for me to learn about new areas is to work with an expert in that field. In order to do something well, you need to surround yourself with the right people, and the Target team members have been the right people for me. It has been such a pleasure working with their team. What they have provided me with is a really unique opportunity to connect with families across the U.S. I’m so excited for the months ahead, and for everyone to see a collection that I am really proud of.

Victoria Beckham for Target ranges in price from $6-$70, with most items under $40, and will be offered in sizes XS-3X for women and NB-XL for girls, toddler and baby. The collection will be available April 9 through April 30, 2017, or while supplies last, at all Target stores and Target.com, with select pieces available for global shoppers via VictoriaBeckham
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 20 Oct 2016, 09:37

I'm really excited! Something affordable and Victoria!
Sah

Postby Sah » 20 Oct 2016, 11:28

Another person who is disappointed by this announcement! I mean she has said she want's to do a more affordable line, and that is ok, many luxury brands did it. But Target? Really? Why on earth would she go with an American mass retail giant like that? Her presence is far greater, and more reaching on the other side of the Atlantic! She would be PERFRECT for a collabo with H&M!!

But at least it goes from her VVB line point of view, that IS a smart decision. Also how exciting to see she will do childwear for the first time!
gugette

Postby gugette » 20 Oct 2016, 12:12

Sah wrote:Another person who is disappointed by this announcement! I mean she has said she want's to do a more affordable line, and that is ok, many luxury brands did it. But Target? Really? Why on earth would she go with an American mass retail giant like that? Her presence is far greater, and more reaching on the other side of the Atlantic! She would be PERFRECT for a collabo with H&M!!

But at least it goes from her VVB line point of view, that IS a smart decision. Also how exciting to see she will do childwear for the first time!

I prefer Target to H&M personally but you're right about her having a bigger name outside the U.S.
Sah

Postby Sah » 20 Oct 2016, 12:41

^ I have been only once in my life in Target, it was a brief 15 min affair years ago, lol. Is it like H&M for USA right? But what shocks me is the price points! For instance H&M has regular products that go about what her line will be priced, but their designer collabos can go up to 300 Euros for a jacket!

She said many times she wants to do a collaboration with a mass retailer with very affordable prices, and wow she really meant it!
Sah

Postby Sah » 20 Oct 2016, 12:48

Very good article from Business of Fashion, Zach is quoted as well:

BoF Exclusive | Victoria Beckham Partners With Target
The pop star-turned-designer is collaborating with Target on a limited-edition collection, which will include apparel and accessories for women and children.

NEW YORK, United States — Victoria Beckham celebrated two five-year milestones in 2016. It's been five years since the birth of her daughter Harper and five years since the birth of her playful second line, Victoria, Victoria Beckham. So it seems natural that the two would serve as points of inspiration for her latest project, a limited-edition collection for Target set to launch April 9, 2017, at all of the US retail giant's physical stores as well as Target.com in the United States. The collection will be available in stores until April 30 or until supplies last, whichever comes first.

The collection is the result of several years of talks between the big-box retailer and the London-based company. "The timing just felt right," said Beckham, speaking exclusively to BoF. "I’ve made no secret of the fact that I wanted to put a collection out there for people who either can’t afford designer prices or don’t want to pay designer prices.”

“It was really about looking at the business, discussing it with my partners and my CEO, and just figuring out when that time was going to be," she continued. "And when I had the time to be as involved as I like to be with every single project I take on."

Comprising more than 200 items priced between $6 and $70 — with the majority below $40 — the collaboration includes apparel and accessories for women, as well as young girls, toddlers and babies, making this Beckham’s first foray into childrenswear. Silhouettes from the Victoria, Victoria Beckham line served as a primary reference point for the Target collection.

“The DNA of Victoria, Victoria Beckham lends itself to being accessed by a much broader number of people,” noted Victoria Beckham chief executive Zach Duane. However, Beckham, who launched her namesake ready-to-wear line in 2008, promised a fresh take on her repertoire, including some joyful prints. “It's quite girly, fun, happy,” she said. “I’ve always said [the VVB collection] is the other side to my personality, it’s the other half of my suitcase. The fun side of me."

Beckham, known for her prowess with fit, has executed a lineup of dresses, rompers and separates available in women’s sizes XS-3X. (While not all Target locations will carry the collection in plus sizes, each item will be available in the full size range on Target.com. This is the first time plus-size product from a designer collaboration will be available in-store. Typically, it’s only available online.)

Several pieces will be reimagined for kids in sizes NB (new born)-XL; accessories will include scarves for women and other items for children. (There will be no shoes or handbags.)

Beckham has also chosen to stock select items on her own website, Victoriabeckham.com, so that international customers have a chance to shop the goods. “It’s just a very modern way of approaching collaborations,” Duane said. "In the past, you would give your designs to a partner and it’s down to their distribution platform. Today, people shop in a very different way."

"They want authenticity; they want to know that a brand is very proud of a collaboration and wants to build it into its own storytelling," he continued. "Why wouldn't we sell key styles of the collection through our website, where we engage directly with our customer?"

The collection constitutes something of a milestone for Beckham, who has been ginger with brand development. Other than the makeup line launched with Estée Lauder early this year and a capsule with Nails, Inc., she has not engaged in any notable collaborations.

"I can reach so many more women through working with Target," she said. "It's not just because of the price point but because of how many stores that they have, located all around America. These are women that I haven't been able to reach out to in the past, and I always say that I want to empower women and make women look like the best versions of themselves. That shouldn't be only people who can afford to spend a certain amount of money."

The 2014 opening of a direct-retail store in London was a turning point for the business, which generated £34 million ($41 million) in revenue that year according to documents filed with Companies House. However, the private company declined to comment on its performance over the past two years.

In March, Beckham opened a 2,198-square-foot outpost in Hong Kong’s Landmark shopping centre. And more brick-and-mortar locations are tentatively planned. “We’re in the expansion stage,” said Duane, who noted that the company’s business is spread quite evenly geographically. “But we’re also a very young brand, less than 10 years old and relatively early in the stages of developing retail.”

As one of the most famous women in the world, Beckham does not necessarily need Target to help boost her brand recognition. Instead, the brand is using Target's broad reach to introduce a new customer to her fashion offering, and to test out the children’s market. "Kids is something I've wanted to do for a long time," she said. "That may well be the next category that I really go into. Who knows."

The partnership is also a boon for Target, which has focused on signature categories — including style, kids, baby and wellness — since the arrival of chief executive Brian Cornell in August 2014. Beckham is certainly the most famous person to ever team with Target; and bringing childrenswear into the mix allows the retailer to buoy two crucial categories at once.

In 2015, Cornell made a push to transform the Target kids’ business, discontinuing its license with Cherokee and introducing in-house home goods collection Pillowfort as well as apparel and accessories line Cat & Jack, which is set to generate $1 billion in sales during its first fiscal year.

“Victoria represents so many facets of what we look for when choosing a design partner,” said Target chief merchandising officer Mark Tritton, who joined the retailer from Nordstrom in May. “I think she saw in us an opportunity to learn about the [mass market] business and engage in that business in a modern and relevant way. Not only bringing her great design to women, but kids as well.”

Indeed, while Target may have been a pioneer in collaborations between high-end designers and mass retailers, it has become increasingly challenging to extract value from these kinds of partnerships, which are now commonplace. While the goal of these collaborations is not to significantly boost the top line — the number of total units are so small that the revenue implications are relatively insignificant — the hope is that the fervour created around the collections will not only generate millions of media impressions, but will also drive foot traffic into stores as well as clicks online.

In the past, Target's most successful collaborations — including those with Missoni and Lily Pulitzer — have created outages onTarget.com, resulting in immediate sales loss but longer-term marketing gain.

“I think that the collaborations are more important today than ever before because it gives them a point of difference. If a collaboration is executed correctly, it brings people into the store to ring the register,” said Marc Beckman, chief executive of DMA United, a talent agency that has brokered deals for several of the Target collaborations on behalf of the designers it has represented. “Consumers want to see these collaborations because they’re looking for relevancy from retailers.”

It is also likely that Target’s upfront investment in Beckham was on the high-end of what it typically pays to work with designers and brands on these kinds of collaborations. For emerging designers, compensation for collaborations like these is often in the upper six figures. Established names can negotiate deals that reach between $1 and $3.5 million.

“The reality is that retailers need to sign up partners and collaborators in order to bring foot traffic as well as to create a positive halo effect,” Beckman said. “They’re not doing these collaborations to generate meaningful revenue or growth — at all. It's to bring customers into the door."

Betting on a big name like Beckham suggests that Target believes it has yet to exhaust the power of the formula it helped to pioneer. Beckham, for one, is excited to see how consumers react. “These are clothes that I want to wear," she said. "I feel that I’ve been very, very honest with myself, my customer, and I am hoping to find a new customer as well."

https://www.businessoffashion.com/artic ... ith-target
gugette

Postby gugette » 20 Oct 2016, 13:39

Wow the price points are incredibly low. hmm, I'm curious the see what they came up with.
Andre

Postby Andre » 20 Oct 2016, 14:25

Wow great news for VVB.
This tune is gonna punish you....
Sah

Postby Sah » 20 Oct 2016, 14:32

gugette wrote:Wow the price points are incredibly low. hmm, I'm curious the see what they came up with.

Also for the first time plus size-sizes, wow! I have a lot of extended family, but also my sister lived in America for a while, and she always loved Target, she texted me saying its a better move than her doing H&M! :rolleyes: :D

I really didn't like what Rodarte did for Target, but Pilotto had such beautiful dresses.
Margaret

Postby Margaret » 20 Oct 2016, 14:37

I'm SO excited for the childrens line lol!
mel2vicem

Postby mel2vicem » 20 Oct 2016, 14:44

I was a snob at first too but high end designer brands have collaborated with Target in the past. And it's only for 3 weeks
Asya

Postby Asya » 20 Oct 2016, 15:59

This is so exciting! I hope it will be easy shopping online from her website here in the UK and that there will be free returns...
TOKYO

Postby TOKYO » 20 Oct 2016, 16:05

Well, i like the news. Everybody goes with H&M and sincee i dont like them i am glad to see her go with Target. Actually this summer was my first visit ever to a Target store in Phoenix ,Arizona. I even got this red plaid shirt for 8 dollars because i was SO impressed by how good it looked , i have a similar one from Saint Laurent for 350 euro and honestly the Target one is not cheap looking AT ALL !! So i dont expect cheap looking clothes from her! And the store was big and full of people. Its a clever move from her ! And this one is going to reach all the american customers, because its more american and popular and affordable then H&M
kittie

Postby kittie » 20 Oct 2016, 19:10

^Well, with H&M she could have reached American and European customers... :rolleyes:

I have no clue about Target but I would have loved to buy something from her but now it will probably never happen (unless I find a rich guy...but...erm....no) but I assume it is great for her.
mel2vicem

Postby mel2vicem » 20 Oct 2016, 19:14

You will be able to order select items from this range on her website
gugette

Postby gugette » 20 Oct 2016, 19:40

Sah wrote:^ I have been only once in my life in Target, it was a brief 15 min affair years ago, lol. Is it like H&M for USA right? But what shocks me is the price points! For instance H&M has regular products that go about what her line will be priced, but their designer collabos can go up to 300 Euros for a jacket!

She said many times she wants to do a collaboration with a mass retailer with very affordable prices, and wow she really meant it!

After reading the BOF article, the Target choice makes more sense to me. She has a 20 year head start in recognition across the atlantic so it makes sense to try to catch up on this side.
Sah

Postby Sah » 20 Oct 2016, 20:27

TOKYO wrote:Well, i like the news. Everybody goes with H&M and sincee i dont like them i am glad to see her go with Target. Actually this summer was my first visit ever to a Target store in Phoenix ,Arizona. I even got this red plaid shirt for 8 dollars because i was SO impressed by how good it looked , i have a similar one from Saint Laurent for 350 euro and honestly the Target one is not cheap looking AT ALL !! So i dont expect cheap looking clothes from her! And the store was big and full of people. Its a clever move from her ! And this one is going to reach all the american customers, because its more american and popular and affordable then H&M

H&M does these collabos so well though! I was just looking at their Kenzo event from yesterday, and they had a party, a show, and top A listers attending. I am also already seeing the items on covers of magazines, H&M has a real pull when it comes to doing these things. I just kinda felt she would be perfect for them. But like gugette said ^ after reading that article, and the business side of it, it seems she and her team made a choice that felt best for them! It feels like they defo wanted to do something like this for the mass American market. Once again she doesn't take the easy or predictable road, she never has, i admire that about her brand!
TOKYO

Postby TOKYO » 20 Oct 2016, 23:01

Sah wrote:
TOKYO wrote:Well, i like the news. Everybody goes with H&M and sincee i dont like them i am glad to see her go with Target. Actually this summer was my first visit ever to a Target store in Phoenix ,Arizona. I even got this red plaid shirt for 8 dollars because i was SO impressed by how good it looked , i have a similar one from Saint Laurent for 350 euro and honestly the Target one is not cheap looking AT ALL !! So i dont expect cheap looking clothes from her! And the store was big and full of people. Its a clever move from her ! And this one is going to reach all the american customers, because its more american and popular and affordable then H&M

H&M does these collabos so well though! I was just looking at their Kenzo event from yesterday, and they had a party, a show, and top A listers attending. I am also already seeing the items on covers of magazines, H&M has a real pull when it comes to doing these things. I just kinda felt she would be perfect for them. But like gugette said ^ after reading that article, and the business side of it, it seems she and her team made a choice that felt best for them! It feels like they defo wanted to do something like this for the mass American market. Once again she doesn't take the easy or predictable road, she never has, i admire that about her brand!

They sure do, they are all over the media, and on every cover and website but the clothes are really cheap. You cant ask 300 euro for a coat when it looks and feels like a 50 euro coat just because it says MargielaXH&M. It has nothing to do with the real Margiela ,its a replica and not a good one. But like i said i liked the things at Target when i was there ,for their price they are quite good looking, and then when you team Target with VB's high standarts i am sure the final product will feel and look great even for 40 dollars. Its a low priced line i know, and i know Target is not high end store but what i am sure she will do is do her best and make the clothes as good as possible, while H&M are all about the money and the media attention and not about a good product. But another thing - she wants to open her next store in the US, and who knows she might do it in 2017 , so it makes sense to me that she wants to reach America with Target
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 20 Oct 2016, 23:21

Sah wrote:I have been only once in my life in Target, it was a brief 15 min affair years ago, lol. Is it like H&M for USA right?

No, we have H&M here, too. Think of Target as halfway between Wal-Mart and H&M.
BostonBeebs81

Postby BostonBeebs81 » 20 Oct 2016, 23:33

Curious to find out where these clothes/items are being manufactured...
jezebelvictoria

Postby jezebelvictoria » 21 Oct 2016, 10:25

So now that I've had time to get over myself, I guess it isn't as bad as I thought. Since it will only be a limited time (literally 3 weeks and it'll obviously sell well); it's not like she's a mass-market department store seller now. :laugh: I already know I'll be buying some of it and I know friends who will get stuff for their children. The promotion will be neat though; Target has stores all over America and they have insane amount of advertising and Victoria will always be my fav, so it'll be nice seeing and hearing about it. It'll be cool seeing my friend's kids wearing Victoria Beckham. :laugh:
gugette

Postby gugette » 21 Oct 2016, 15:19

huh, VB was trending on my facebook news feed all yesterday.

Return to “Victoria Beckham”