4th Album Thread | Recording New Songs

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Re: 4th Album Thread | Recording new songs

Postby Javi » 01 May 2017, 19:18

PeruvianSpice wrote:I think he meant those are better than some others, not specifically better than "Never Be ..." or "Out Of Your Mind"...

Nope, he said Geri's worst videos are still better than any of the other solo Spice videos. He didn't say her worst videos are better than the worst videos of the other girls.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Hannes84
Custom Title: ChiariWarrior

Postby Hannes84 » 01 May 2017, 21:21

Jer wrote:
Alberto! wrote:New interview on Vanity Fair Italy: https://www.vanityfair.it/people/mondo/ ... vanityfair

When asked about solo projects she answers:
«I'm working on a project. Not a proper album, but a number of singles to be released individually».

How does that make sense? I get releasing a few singles to test the waters before an album, but to say there is no album in the works is rather strange and completely contrary to what she has stated in past interviews.

In terms of pop stars, she is way below D-list now. It's not like she has a choice. An EP might be a better idea, instead of individual singles, cause one hit from a has-been proves nothing. Just being brutally honest here, not hating on her. Purely talking about her music career.
I often look upon the stars, darling. Which one's yours?
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 01 May 2017, 21:25

Singles not an album would make zero sense. She is a passed it popstar, she is going to have zero impact on the singles chart and a single will go completely unnoticed. She could with a deluxe version, vinyl and all the day time tv promo she can get get a top 40 album like Mel C with VOM.

It could open up the door for her to do a few small UK gigs too.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 01 May 2017, 21:28

Javi wrote:
KingOfSpiceWorld wrote:Geri has alway been the most creative with her videos (even her worst videos are more creative than any other spice girl's) and maybe she is pulling a beyonce of shorts.

So according to you 'Calling' and 'Half Of Me' are better videos than 'Never Be The Same Again', 'Northern Star', 'Out Of Your Mind', 'Not Such An Innocent Girl', 'What Took You So Long?', 'Free Me', 'Maybe', 'I Want You Back', 'Word Up'...?

Sure, Jan.

I am only responsible for what I say. Not what you understand.

I never used the word better. I said more creative.
The Spice Girls

Postby The Spice Girls » 02 May 2017, 00:19

Javi wrote:
KingOfSpiceWorld wrote:Geri has alway been the most creative with her videos (even her worst videos are more creative than any other spice girl's) and maybe she is pulling a beyonce of shorts.

So according to you 'Calling' and 'Half Of Me' are better videos than 'Never Be The Same Again', 'Northern Star', 'Out Of Your Mind', 'Not Such An Innocent Girl', 'What Took You So Long?', 'Free Me', 'Maybe', 'I Want You Back', 'Word Up'...?

You forgot to mention videos to 'What I Am', 'We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight', 'I'll Be There' and 'Crickets Sing For Anamaria' which are little gems on their own;)
Mikerecords
Previous username(s): -Mike-
Custom Title: The 004

Postby Mikerecords » 02 May 2017, 07:31

I think she's talking about releasing an EP.
THE sequel to GEM's "Song For Her"...
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeKNs7v1ONA
The 'Song For Me' release date is scheduled for May 16.
The single will be released on online channels including Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, Beatport and more.

http://www.instagram.com/the004official
Amaranthine18

Postby Amaranthine18 » 02 May 2017, 11:23

I just hope she will release something this year. IT has been too long.
Javi

Postby Javi » 02 May 2017, 11:47

KingOfSpiceWorld wrote:
Javi wrote:

Sure, Jan.

So according to you 'Calling' and 'Half Of Me' are more creative videos than 'Never Be The Same Again', 'Northern Star', 'Out Of Your Mind', 'Not Such An Innocent Girl', 'What Took You So Long?', 'Free Me', 'Maybe', 'I Want You Back', 'Word Up'...?

Sure, Jan.
Jer

Postby Jer » 03 May 2017, 03:36

Javi wrote:
KingOfSpiceWorld wrote:
Javi wrote:

Sure, Jan.

So according to you 'Calling' and 'Half Of Me' are more creative videos than 'Never Be The Same Again', 'Northern Star', 'Out Of Your Mind', 'Not Such An Innocent Girl', 'What Took You So Long?', 'Free Me', 'Maybe', 'I Want You Back', 'Word Up'...?

Sure, Jan.

It's someone's opinion, whether or not you (or the rest of us) agree with it. Does a comment such as KingofSpiceWorld's really warrant a back and forth about who has the most creative this or that...
No.
Javi

Postby Javi » 03 May 2017, 10:59

^all forum's threads are a back and forth of different opinions. Should we shut down this place then? I never said KingOfSpiceWorld should change his opinion, I just stated mine in a meme-ish way.
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 03 May 2017, 11:48

Mikerecords wrote:I think she's talking about releasing an EP.

That might be safer, but I repeat myself when I say they should've released one with Half of Me.

1. Half of Me
2. Phenomenal Woman
3. I Got A Name
4. Back In Business
5. Bling

Would've been easy enough.
kamel

Postby kamel » 03 May 2017, 12:26

Thatsz a good idea :)
Javi

Postby Javi » 03 May 2017, 12:50

SpiceWonderland wrote:

That might be safer, but I repeat myself when I say they should've released one with Half of Me.

1. Half of Me
2. Phenomenal Woman
3. I Got A Name
4. Back In Business
5. Bling

Would've been easy enough.

'Bling' is a Passion era reject.
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 03 May 2017, 13:20

^I know, but it still would've fit nicely as a nice b-side or bonus track.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 03 May 2017, 18:31

An EP would be awesome too!

I just want new official music
menime123

Postby menime123 » 03 May 2017, 21:07

The truth is I really don't think an album would sell. She really promoted Passion and it flopped - there is no reason to assume different now, especially as she has seemingly continued to make genuine pop music that somehow recreates her earlier work.

But I still crave new music and decisions needs to be made by Geri as to what she is going to do with her work.

We all know she has pushed for years to get a new record deal, but the lack of an album clearly indicates they just aren't interested (which frankly amazes me, because MOTM is a great album).

Putting singles out with 2 b-sides on digital platforms 'for fans' wouldn't be considered a big deal and wouldn't really be judged against her earlier chart success. She can mark it as a passion project - and just see what the response is.

Across 12 months we could easily end up with 4 'singles' with b-sides that amount to a 12 track album.

In an ideal world she'd do this every quarter and build up to a solo gig in London in 2019 to celebrate 20 years as a solo artist. She has been to Mel C's gigs - I don't see why she wouldn't be able to pull the same sort of thing off.

The 'problem' is releasing the music. There is no reason why she couldn't release it herself as an independent artist - I genuinely think she could end up finding that quite liberating. If she gets a good response (and I can already see her rushing to Spotify everyday to see how many streams she's had) it might help boost her confidence at an actual album.

The interesting thing is Steps just released a brand new album and went to #2 with something like 37,000 copies sold. This week, they're top 5 still in the mid weeks with under 10,000. But importantly, they have released it independently.

Steps are with the same management company as All Saints, who also went too 5 last year with a new studio album. Maybe Geri needs to get on their books!
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 03 May 2017, 22:55

Why on earth bother with an EP? Why not just record or release a few more tracks and release an album. In what way would an EP be in any way better for her or the fans.

The one from the Saturdays is releasing pointless EPs that are being completely ignored while Una released an album and charted for a few weeks and got some gigs out of it.
Javi

Postby Javi » 03 May 2017, 23:27

Geri didn't even say EP. Let's not assume thing just because someone said "I think..."

Usually when you release an EP you release one or two singles from it. After 20 years in the business you'd think Geri knows what a single is so if she used that word, then it's because she's simply following the not-so-rare-anymore strategy of releasing a few singles and see how it goes. Even Katy Perry, that has good album sales, has just released two singles with no sign of an album yet.

My bet (and judging her words seems more logical) is that she and/or her new label (if any) have decided to launch one or two digital singles (no physical CDs investment) and start from there. If they succeed (for her current standards), I'm sure they'll take the chance and release a full album or even more singles. The important thing, right now, is that those plans go ahead because she's been saying new music is coming soon for more than 5 years already and the only thing that has officially materialized was 'Half Of Me' and only because she was a judge on AGT.
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 03 May 2017, 23:32

I want her to go the independent route SO bad. She'll never get the recognition and chart positions like she used to ever again, so there's no reason for her not to. Then, she could make her own decisions, retain full creative control, and actually have higher returns on her work (since she'd own it).
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 04 May 2017, 05:03

Wasn't she signed to Warner?

I think that's why she was invited to the Brits...
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 04 May 2017, 07:48

I highly doubt Geri will ever release independently. Back in her heyday- and I believe quite recently when questioned about wether or not to release as an independent artist like Melanie C- she pretty much said she doesn't have the guts to go down that road but that she has a lot of admiration towards Melanie C who does so.

I guess for her she doesn't/didn't want to risk it not paying off financially, and also having a (big) label backing you up I'm sure boosts her confidence to a certain degree.

And at the end of the day, Geri wants to succeed. Though she knows very well she's not the popstar she once was, she'll still want to sell records and top the charts again. She was devastated when "Passion" and "Desire" didn't do as well as she hoped, neither was she too happy with "Ride It" not charting at number one. And we all know very well how much the music industry has changed since then...

As much as I love her music (especially "Man on the Mountain"), I doubt she'd do that well with streaming and sales. I think she could do well radio-wise. And - like Melanie C- she'll have a hardcore group of fans who will always support her. Is that enough to satisfy the high standards she sets for herself, though?

Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe her attitude towards all this has changed drastically. But I think if that was the case we would have "Man on the Mountain" already...
tommie

Postby tommie » 04 May 2017, 13:48

In all honesty, her best bet would be to throw out a Radio 2 friendly single, then just put the album out there. As has been stated - she'll likely never do well in the singles department again, so this whole "throw a couple of singles out there" strategy is far too risky and might end up being a Half of Me situation.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 04 May 2017, 15:48

Her attitude has changed so much that I think she really is ok with not beint Top 20 anymore... she seems so calm now
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 04 May 2017, 15:54

That change needs to have happened post "Half of Me" because clearly she did care about how it "flopped". She even changed her mind about performing it on AGT and replaced it with a (rather beautiful) acoustic version of "Wannabe".
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 04 May 2017, 16:44

tommie wrote:In all honesty, her best bet would be to throw out a Radio 2 friendly single, then just put the album out there. As has been stated - she'll likely never do well in the singles department again, so this whole "throw a couple of singles out there" strategy is far too risky and might end up being a Half of Me situation.

Exactly, throw out a couple of singles that get ignored or worse get labelled huge flops and everything goes down the shitter again.

It is album or nothing, basically it needs to follow what Steps has done, a first single but it be all about the album and its impact date.

Return to “Geri Halliwell”