Scream If You Wanna Go Faster

According To All Sources, This Forum's The Place To Go!
menime123

Re: Scream If You Wanna Go Faster

Postby menime123 » 27 Feb 2017, 23:59

Andreas wrote:Geri said in a radio interview in late 2003 that she was "approached by EMI to start working on a new album" (this was prior to her UK-return).

Her manager in LA later revealed that Geri really didn't want to go back to London to make a new album. Judging the state of mind Geri was in, I have no problem believing it.

Labels are allowed to ask for albums - Madonna didn't want to make COADF but her label informed her they expected an album and gave her a deadline. She told them she didn't want to (yet) but it fell on deaf ears.
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 28 Feb 2017, 01:52

menime123 wrote:That's really interesting, if not a little odd: why would EMI allow Geri to cancel a single (with very little cost) in order to ensure she makes a 3rd album down the line, which is a more expensive enterprise?

I know the album didn't sell buckets, but the 3 singles went top 10 (including a #1) and the album went to #5 - not at all shabby for 2001.

No, EMI "cancelled" the 4th single. Geri was ready to push on with it, but EMI wasn't happy with the "lack of success" of the 2nd and 3rd single, and also the album charted lower than Schizophonic (selling less in total also, I guess), so they saw this as a sign that she was not selling anymore.

I think by this time they had dropped Victoria, Mel B and Emma, and I'm not sure but I also think Mel
c had left her contract with Virgin (which was also owned by EMI at the time), so Geri was the last remaining one of the solo-spices to still have her original solo deal.

I agree that none of her singles or the album performed bad, I always thought it did well the time and circumstance taken into consideration (being an ex-spice girl was hardly a popularity/quality stamp post 2000). But Geri was used to topping the singles chart, so when she failed to reach top 5 even, some consider that a flop.

menime123 wrote:Labels are allowed to ask for albums - Madonna didn't want to make COADF but her label informed her they expected an album and gave her a deadline. She told them she didn't want to (yet) but it fell on deaf ears.

Yes, they can. Also Hard Candy was even more so an album of the label and less by Madonna, she didn't even care about it. Warner more or less decided the direction of music, the producers, Madonna hates the artwork that was used for the album...

And Geri had a deal to release 3 albums and a certain amount of singles included for each album. But the message from EMI was pretty much "finish your record contract or the record contact is terminated, we have a song for you in mind" ("100% Pure Love") (they had already dropped Emma, Victoria and Mel B after one album- who had the same kind of 3-album deal with Virgin). So Geri could either go back to London and get started, or she could stay in LA and have her solo deal quietly terminated.

But since she had nothing going on for her in LA at this point ("All American Girl" had been cancelled, the film she had a minor role in flopped big time ("Fat Girls" or something), there really was no point in her letting this opportunity - which was already hers- slip away.

And let's just say that "Ride It" performed beyond everyone's expectations, certainly EMI's. But they weren't sold on the disco-theme so they kept encouraging her to do new songs (that's how "Disco Sister" developed into "Passion"). But then "Desire" didn't manage to meet the label's expectations (they wouldn't have accepted anything under a top 3 hit anyway, and they weren't really impressed by Geri's management and the "There's Something About Geri" documentary in particular) so she was pretty much told that once the album was out the week after, her contract was up. No more singles and whatever promo she decided to do was up to her.

When you watch back the footage from the "An Audience With Geri" and the final promo performances of "Desire" you can clearly see how uninspired and defeated she seemed. She knew it was over and it really didn't matter what she did. The single and album was considered a flop and she would not be re-signed for any more albums.
mIGU

Postby mIGU » 28 Feb 2017, 04:50

Great thread Andreas!
Missed reading your long posts with such insightful information that relieves so much memories from back in the day.

There are really a lot of misopportunities as far as Geri's career's went. Lot of Coulda shoulda wouldas.

I didn't know EMI cancelled the 4th SIYWG single! In my mind it was always Geris decision to pull the plug cause calling "underperformed" and it was her favorite song.

As for Passion-gate... if only EMI had allowed her to follow her guys and go hardcore disco. Not that I think that it would have been a hit but I'm pretty sure it would have fared a lot better than Passion.

Still, DESIRE is my favorite Geri single so part of me feels nice that she was "forced" to record it.

I DO WISH though that Geri had accepted EMI's offer in 2005 to release and promote a GREATEST HITS. I guess her ego was terribly hurt but how the music biz treated her during Passion that she simply refused to allow herself back in
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 28 Feb 2017, 10:38

mIGU wrote:Great thread Andreas!
Missed reading your long posts with such insightful information that relieves so much memories from back in the day.

There are really a lot of misopportunities as far as Geri's career's went. Lot of Coulda shoulda wouldas.

I didn't know EMI cancelled the 4th SIYWG single! In my mind it was always Geris decision to pull the plug cause calling "underperformed" and it was her favorite song.

As for Passion-gate... if only EMI had allowed her to follow her guys and go hardcore disco. Not that I think that it would have been a hit but I'm pretty sure it would have fared a lot better than Passion.

Still, DESIRE is my favorite Geri single so part of me feels nice that she was "forced" to record it.

I DO WISH though that Geri had accepted EMI's offer in 2005 to release and promote a GREATEST HITS. I guess her ego was terribly hurt but how the music biz treated her during Passion that she simply refused to allow herself back in

:lovers:

Yes, EMI really should've let her do her own thing. It worked so well with the two previous albums (even though they regarded the two final singles from "Scream If You Wanna Go Faster" a flop), that's what the audience expected of Geri also.

Also the Greatest Hits, yes. She should've done that. They also approached her a few years later, either during or right after the Return of the Spice Girls tour, which again she declined (at this point she kept saying she probably would not do solo music again ("but should never say never")).

I also wonder what made her stop the re-release of "Schizophonic"... Maybe she expected to release "Man on the Mountain", or it happened just as she discovered she was pregnant.... It's a mystery. Cause that would've been interesting!
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 28 Feb 2017, 10:51

It just makes you realise how incredibly thick skinned you need to be in the music industry. I think that's why artists develop the attitude of "it's out of my hands" once a record has been released. I remember thinking how unfair it felt between 2001 - 2005 with each girl in turn losing their recording contract. Particularly Melanie C with Reason. It felt like she had got a particularly raw deal. I remember the release of the album being delayed with conflicting reports as to why. The album just didn't feel nearly as good as Northern Star (with the odd exception). I think she should have got another album out of the deal. Maybe she didn't want one though?

Same for Geri too. She wanted to go with a disco theme but the record label wanted her to go down a different genre. Then when it didn't work she was released! A Greatest Hits would have been a nice album for the fans to have but what would she have put on it by 2005? Her 9 singles plus a few bonus recordings? She probably felt she didn't want to cash in on songs fans already had. I think she made the right decision not going for it.

Emma was never really given much of a chance by Virgin. She released a cover with Tin Tin Out and 3 singles. 2 of these single went top 5 including a number 1. When the final single failed to go top 10 she was released. I think the 4th single choice was poor and the record company could have done more in terms of promotion / touring. It felt unfair. Free Me was a much better campaign and sound.

I could kind of understand why Mel B was released. The album just failed to chart within the top20. The first two singles didn't sell brilliantly despite reasonable promotion and high budget videos. The only number 1 from the album was released in 1998 when the spice girls were still huge and as number 1s go, even that under-sold.

And Victoria Beckham being released, I understood that decision and I bet she's glad it was made now!
MAD

Postby MAD » 28 Feb 2017, 12:33

Back in the day the Spice Girls were too big as a group (in term of sales and cultural impact) to have an "easy" life as solo music artists.
(Plus add some wrong choices and big egos from some of the girls)
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 28 Feb 2017, 18:31

RobKelly666 wrote:It just makes you realise how incredibly thick skinned you need to be in the music industry. I think that's why artists develop the attitude of "it's out of my hands" once a record has been released. I remember thinking how unfair it felt between 2001 - 2005 with each girl in turn losing their recording contract. Particularly Melanie C with Reason. It felt like she had got a particularly raw deal. I remember the release of the album being delayed with conflicting reports as to why. The album just didn't feel nearly as good as Northern Star (with the odd exception). I think she should have got another album out of the deal. Maybe she didn't want one though?

Melanie C was the one who decided to leave her solo deal with Virgin, no? I was under the impression she asked to be let go once the promotion for "Reason" was over and done with, cause she was not happy with the musical direction they wanted her to go...

I think it's right to say that none of the girls had a fair chance at a solo career once the group hit big. There was just no way they could match it, or even prevent not survive the inevitable downfall.

But in retrospect, especially Mel B, Victoria and Emma's debut albums were/are kind of bland. Geri's debut wasn't that much better but she made up for it with attitude and playing the media and publicity game. I mean, honestly, look at "Lift Me Up"... It hardly has #1 hit written all over it, but still she turned it out. "Bag It Up" is more bombastic but 4th single, album had been out for almost a year, no interesting b-sides... Still she whipped up a video more camp than Kylie on steroids, the pr-stunt with her Girl Powder box in the see-through handbag when she attended the Spice Girls vs. Aprilla court case. She knew how to work that media machine.
Adam
Mod

Postby Adam » 28 Feb 2017, 21:23

I was at the audience with Geri and she did seem resigned to her fate. She didn't seem sad - just a little reflective.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 28 Feb 2017, 22:42

Andreas wrote:Melanie C was the one who decided to leave her solo deal with Virgin, no? I was under the impression she asked to be let go once the promotion for "Reason" was over and done with, cause she was not happy with the musical direction they wanted her to go.

Melanie C was dropped, she didn't leave. Have you never heard 'Better Alone'?

But I think the deal she had with Virgin was that instead of receiving a compensation for breaking the contract, she took the rights of her discography with her. That's why she has been able to do whatever she wanted to to with her old catalogue without crediting Virgin/EMI. She released two live DVDs, a live digital album and had her whole discography up for streaming on her old website. So my best guess is that she accepted to leave Virgin (she had a 3 albums deal) in exchange of her solo music rights.

Andreas wrote:But in retrospect, especially Mel B, Victoria and Emma's debut albums were/are kind of bland. Geri's debut wasn't that much better.

Personally I think 'VB' and 'Schizophonic' are two of the best solo Spice records. If those two are "bland" then I wonder what LA State Of Mind, Reason and Stages are.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 28 Feb 2017, 22:57

I can't with labels who meddle with the artist.

I mean, wasn't it Virgin who suggested Melanie C released that awful "Reason"? She had GREAT songs which ended up as b-sides
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 28 Feb 2017, 23:49

Javi wrote:
Andreas wrote:Melanie C was the one who decided to leave her solo deal with Virgin, no? I was under the impression she asked to be let go once the promotion for "Reason" was over and done with, cause she was not happy with the musical direction they wanted her to go.

Melanie C was dropped, she didn't leave. Have you never heard 'Better Alone'?

But I think the deal she had with Virgin was that instead of receiving a compensation for breaking the contract, she took the rights of her discography with her. That's why she has been able to do whatever she wanted to to with her old catalogue without crediting Virgin/EMI. She released two live DVDs, a live digital album and had her whole discography up for streaming on her old website. So my best guess is that she accepted to leave Virgin (she had a 3 albums deal) in exchange of her solo music rights.

Andreas wrote:But in retrospect, especially Mel B, Victoria and Emma's debut albums were/are kind of bland. Geri's debut wasn't that much better.

Personally I think 'VB' and 'Schizophonic' are two of the best solo Spice records. If those two are "bland" then I wonder what LA State Of Mind, Reason and Stages are.

I didn't know Melanie C owned the rights to her back catalogue... That's quite amazing if Virgin agreed to that, seeing how popular "Northern Star" turned out to be.

I'll have to respectively disagree with "VB" being one of the better solo albums ( :p), for me it sounded terribly dated even when it was released. The only song I can listen to is "Mind Of Its Own", and even that gets old after a couple of listens- lol!

"Schizophonic" is very honest, lyrically. But musically - no matter how much I enjoy the production- it sounds much like the time it was released (in my opinion).
Last edited by Andreas on 01 Mar 2017, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 01 Mar 2017, 00:44

I'm bias as I love everything about that album but I think Schizophonics production is exceptional. Some tracks definitely sound of that late nineties pop period but that doesn't really bother me. I love how all ten tracks are so diverse and layered in sounds. It's like the solo spice version of Spiceworld in that it's all so different yet works together well. It's hard to believe it was all done by the same team.
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 01 Mar 2017, 17:04

Scream was right choice for the second single and then Calling I don't see any other tracks would have worked as a single I really enjoyed some tracks of this album a lot but not like Schizophonic ever ..
Adam
Mod

Postby Adam » 02 Mar 2017, 00:23

I think Scream has the best productions of her albums. It's definitely the most cohesive and consistent.

But in retrospect there are no obvious singles. Yes, I know IRM ended up overshadowing the album, but in hindsight, the album would have completely tanked without it. Scream and Calling are probably the best singles. They're not my favourite songs (Strength of a Woman / I Was Made That Way), but, they made sense.

It is still probably my favourite Geri album!
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 02 Mar 2017, 03:24

Adam wrote:I think Scream has the best productions of her albums. It's definitely the most cohesive and consistent.

But in retrospect there are no obvious singles. Yes, I know IRM ended up overshadowing the album, but in hindsight, the album would have completely tanked without it. Scream and Calling are probably the best singles. They're not my favourite songs (Strength of a Woman / I Was Made That Way), but, they made sense.

It is still probably my favourite Geri album!

I agree. Definitely my favourite Geri-album as well, and I loved her spunky attitude during that era (despite the fact that she was so sick of eating disorder that her body stopped having her periods). As an overall album, "Scream If You Wanna Go Faster" sounds like a complete package, even when you throw the b-sides and remixes into the mix.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 02 Mar 2017, 16:48

Only track on SIYWGF I've never been that keen on is Shake Your Bootie Cutie. If I could I would change it for Destiny or Getting Better. I feel the same about Superstar on Passion.

Overall it's a great pop record very fun and colourful. I love all four albums for what each is and feel very grateful to have so much material from her. I hope we get even more. :$
mattykoo

Postby mattykoo » 05 Mar 2017, 18:56

Andreas wrote:I didn't know Melanie C owned the rights to her back catalogue... That's quite amazing if Virgin agreed to that, seeing how popular "Northern Star" turned out to be.

She doesn't control her Virgin material. I'm not sure where Javi pulled that from. It's administered by UMe.
Ian

Postby Ian » 09 Mar 2017, 17:35

I think after It's Raining Men they should have waited 3 months (that single was huge) and then released;

Strength of a Woman (a quirky video with Geri dressed as different types of strong women - think J.Lo's 'Ain't Your Mama' video).
Circles Round the Moon (similar vibe to Lift Me Up so could have been a good follow up single and a video that touched upon the growing popularity of Harry Potter / magic).
Scream If You Wanna Go Faster / Calling (double A side).
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 09 Mar 2017, 22:07

I actually also think "Strength of a Woman" and "Circles Round The Moon" would work well as singles. And probably more familiar to the general audience, as "Scream If You Wanna Go Faster" - however awesome it is- was a very bold move to release, as it's not the sound she is known for.

I also think "Don't Call Me Baby" and "Shake Your Bootie Cutie" could've made good singles also. Very radio-friendly and easy on the ear.

I still can't believe "Feels Like Sex" was considered first single... It's probably the only track I don't particularly like on the album. "Shake Your Bootie Cutie" would've made much more sense as the lead single if it hadn't been for "It's Raining Men".
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 09 Mar 2017, 22:18

I liked Scream as a single I just think IRM was still so huge when it came out that it overexposed her and I think any single two choice would've suffered because of it.

I like Calling as a single aswell and at the end of the day it was one chart place higher than Scream it just sold less. Emma only charted at number 20 a few weeks later so Calling didn't do that badly in comparison.

Circles for me was the obvious final single I think it would've been another top ten for her around March or April 2002.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » 10 Mar 2017, 00:20

^Yeah, it's too bad EMI were such assholes back then. Apparently they underwent a re-organising and that affected a lot of artists, not just Geri.

If I'm not mistaking this re-organising was why Geri (among others) were moved from EMI to EMI: Chrysalis.
Last edited by Andreas on 10 Mar 2017, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 10 Mar 2017, 00:26

I think 'Circles round the moon' should have followed IRM. Something a bit different but catchy, a video similar in feel to WTYSL by Emma and Geri being a bit more girl next door after the OTTness of IRM.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Ian

Postby Ian » 14 Mar 2017, 13:53

I think I'm in the minority here but I've always loved Shake Your Bootie Cutie and thought it was a nice inclusion to the album. It's almost a follow-up to Bag It Up, musically. It could have been a 4th single.

I've never really understood why Calling was released. Or why the label let Geri release it, if it was indeed released because it was one of her favourite tracks. I mean, it's a nice song but to me, Geri doesn't excel at ballads. She doesn't have the voice to really sell a ballad, not for a single. She's much better at the uptempo/pop/camp type sound and that was what had been working for her up to that point. Releasing Calling, in hindsight, was an ill-conceived move in my opinion.

I agree that Scream If You Wanna Go Faster was a bold single choice. It's either gonna be loved or loathed. I love it, and the video, but perhaps a different song would have proved more fruitful.

Overall, I think it's a decent pop album and a good follow-up to her debut. I question the inclusion of Love Is the Only Light, Lovey Dovey Stuff and Heaven and Hell though, to me these would have been best kept as B-Sides. It might have made more sense to swap them with Breaking Glass and New Religion (her voice on this sounds really good).

Something like;

01. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
02. Shake Your Bootie Cutie
03. Circles Round the Moon
04. Calling
05. Feels Like Sex
06. Strength of a Woman
07. Don't Call Me Baby
08. New Religion
09. Breaking Glass
10. I Was Made That Way
11. It's Raining Men (Bonus Track)

I love Brave New World and Destiny too but they just don't fit in with the rest of the Scream... sound. Brave New World, especially, sounds like it would have fit more in line with Desire, Ride It etc. She definitely should have pushed out a third album with that overall sound.
The Spice Girls

Postby The Spice Girls » 14 Mar 2017, 16:57

Andreas wrote:No, EMI "cancelled" the 4th single. Geri was ready to push on with it, but EMI wasn't happy with the "lack of success" of the 2nd and 3rd single, and also the album charted lower than Schizophonic (selling less in total also, I guess), so they saw this as a sign that she was not selling anymore.

I think by this time they had dropped Victoria, Mel B and Emma, and I'm not sure but I also think Mel
c had left her contract with Virgin (which was also owned by EMI at the time)
, so Geri was the last remaining one of the solo-spices to still have her original solo deal.

At the time of SIYWGF single being released the only girl to be dropped by Virgin was Mel B who parted with them in July 2001. Emma was freshly after success of WTYSL? And was about to release TMBA in August and then WNGST in December same year. She left Virgin in early 2002. Victoria didn't even release anything on her own at the time we're talking about as NSAIG wasn't out till September and the VB album of October 2001. Don't forget AMOIO in February 2002 and plans for 'I Wish' as the third single in May same year. Then Vic and Virgin parted their ways in June 2002. Mel C was the last one with original contract with Virgin until early 2004. But yeah, Geri was the last one to still have her solo deal;)

Return to “Geri Halliwell”