Free Me Vinyl - WTF

Suddenly the forum came, and then the fans came, and then the talking came, and all the drama came!
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Free Me Vinyl - WTF

Postby Mr.X » 10 Feb 2017, 17:12

It is on £900 :x

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/429395753

Is this normal? The last one i saw was on £500 and then reduced to £250 before it was sold. Now this one at this price - do people really pay these amounts? :shrug:
Peter

Re: Free Me Vinyl - WTF

Postby Peter » 11 Feb 2017, 03:01

Ofc no. Those people are some delusional freaks. It hasn't been sold for £250, it showns the higher it's been sold for was little less than £75. I've seen the one you mentioned but they just had to cancel/remove it from there as otherwise it would be stated as the highest price paid for that.
victoriajames

Postby victoriajames » 11 Feb 2017, 09:29

Well in the description the person said they need $825 urgently but fat chance with that. If you need money urgently, extortion isn't going to get you money anytime soon because no one is going to pay that price.
Agent_Spice
Custom Title: Escrow Spice

Postby Agent_Spice » 11 Feb 2017, 16:26

Would I pay that personally? Never.

Somebody else might though.

You have to consider that the vinyl wasn't commercially released, there was a limited number printed, and the album is 14 years old which all add to its value. 500 Pounds is also the going rate for the Geri Viva Forever Fairy Cover single and there were 500 of those printed.

Last year, apparently the mintiest mint that was ever minted version of Free Me appeared on eBay. I don't even think it was sealed or in plastic wrap. I was toying with the idea of getting it, but a few hours before the auction ended, the price went above 100 Pounds so I tapped out. When I came back, I believe the final cost was over 350 pounds. So while 500 Pounds might seem a lot for the vinyl that I believe Egoist initially tried to sell for (with an offer option), it was actually on trend. If it did sell for 250 pounds(the auction shows it ended and doesn't mention it was sold), thankfully it appears that the price is coming down as there are no users willing to pay above that price.

The issue with Discogs is that the seller sets the price (as opposed to eBay which allows the free market/bidders to establish the price). So while the price has been significantly more reasonable on Discogs, it's still short of what the item would likely fetch on eBay.

If the seller is as desperate as he says, (which I doubt since the majority of his listings are above the current trend and not priced to move), I'd contact him with an offer over the highest price on Discogs and remind him of the trend. Egoist's FM is the only vinyl that shows up on eBay's completed auctions, but it appears there was some cover wear so the seller might argue that's why his price is so high.

That's not a guarantee though as I once provided a seller evidence that he purchased an item from eBay and relisted it at 10x the price he paid (including shipping) on Discogs. I then made an offer over 50 Pounds what he paid and he rejected my offer because he felt he deserved more. Somebody did end up buying it at that price so sometimes Spice fans are their own worst enemy and that's why we have vinyls priced at 900 Pounds.
Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Feb 2017, 17:05

It's only 13 years old this year:)
Agent_Spice
Custom Title: Escrow Spice

Postby Agent_Spice » 11 Feb 2017, 21:01

The Spice Girls wrote:It's only 13 years old this year:)

You're absolutely correct - it just turned 13 this week. I thought 14 seemed a little soon - I remember when Maybe was aired on a radio station competition against a remix of Yeh Yeh Yeh (the last single from the era) and Reason was released in 2003.

The discogs page of the vinyl ( https://www.discogs.com/Emma-Free-Me/release/2513094 ) lists the release year as 2003 and the vinyl itself lists a copyright date of 2003. So I guess it was misprint?
Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Feb 2017, 21:12

I guess the album was ready for release date just after 'Maybe' but then they pushed that date back to early next year, as a follower to a next single which was meant to boost the sales. Hence the 2003 copyright information.
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 15 Feb 2017, 21:29

This vinyl is going to rediculous prices. I remember around 2004-2005, when I used to spend lost of money on ebay -_- I would see it pop up. Still it was a bit expensive fo me, probably $100, but still way more afordable than today.

Same for the Viva Forever Doll, they used to be around $100 and recently I saw them goin for $800 each! Not sure if this is getting sold.
Peter

Postby Peter » 16 Feb 2017, 18:16

FiaSpice wrote:This vinyl is going to rediculous prices. I remember around 2004-2005, when I used to spend lost of money on ebay -_- I would see it pop up. Still it was a bit expensive fo me, probably $100, but still way more afordable than today.

Same for the Viva Forever Doll, they used to be around $100 and recently I saw them goin for $800 each! Not sure if this is getting sold.

All the items/memorabilia will be getting more and more expensive with each year. Less and less people have it, just the ones who really want it will be paying more and more money. Obviously it was cheaper over 10 years ago. That's why I think you should get as much as you want as soon as you can. As in next 20 years you maybe not able to afford it.
EricRiotT

Postby EricRiotT » 18 Feb 2017, 05:24

This same seller had the "Free Me" vinyl listed in his collection on Discogs and I privately messaged him about a year or so ago asking if he'd be willing to sell it. After some bartering we agreed on £250. He posted it for sale, I bought it... then the next day he sent me some crazy story about how he hadn't checked with his wife and she told him he couldn't sell it. So he cancelled the order, refunded the money, and my search for this LP continued. So now, all this time later it pops up in his Discogs shop (originally for £1000)(!)) and only after a week or two (when a second copy was listed for sale by someone else on ebay for $500... and eventually marked down to $250) did he reduce it to £900. This guy obviously knows there's a demand from (at the very least one or two) fans and he's using that sob story to try milk the most cash out of someone he can. Greedy. :nono:
Peter

Postby Peter » 18 Feb 2017, 10:23

Omg, am so glad managed to get mine for that £20 including international postage few years back then!!!
spicyhot

Postby spicyhot » 18 Feb 2017, 16:01

The Spice Girls wrote:Omg, am so glad managed to get mine for that £20 including international postage few years back then!!!

WOW, That's a bargain compared to the prices you see now.
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 22 Feb 2017, 00:59

The Spice Girls wrote:Omg, am so glad managed to get mine for that £20 including international postage few years back then!!!

Same here, I remember being really surprised about the price I got.
tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 19 Aug 2017, 03:02

...and what about the cassette tape of the single? is that rare?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMMA-BUNTON-SPI ... 2018261845
Emma Station |

Return to “Emma Bunton”