Mel B in Chicago Musical (Broadway NYC)

From UK to LA, Todays The Day To Post Away
darkchild_2000

Re: Mel B in Chicago Musical (Broadway NYC)

Postby darkchild_2000 » 17 Jan 2017, 04:41

This was in the front. Stage Door is located right next to the box office. The town car was waiting out front with barricades on both sides but she came out and greeted everyone.

It was a dream come true.
Amaranthine18

Postby Amaranthine18 » 17 Jan 2017, 05:33

Congrats! I'm happy for you.
chocolate_and_controversy
Custom Title: Sarah

Postby chocolate_and_controversy » 17 Jan 2017, 07:15

Image[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Rf4hZq][/img]

I went to see it tonight! Mel did a great job!

Mel is in the best shape of her life - she looked utterly fantastic! We were in the front row, so we had a very close view of her, and she looked incredible. She nailed the choreo, of course, and did a surprisingly good job with the vocals. Her strength was with some of the lower numbers that fit in her belt range. The higher ones were decent, and usually very solid, but maybe not quite A+ range. Still, her singing was better than I think a lot of people were expecting. Her acting was not great, honestly, but she's never been an actress. My only cringe-y bit was her accent - I'm not sure what she was trying to do, but whatever it was, it didn't work. She should have just gone with her regular accent, because trying to cover it completely did not work. But overall, I think it's a performance she can be proud of, and the crowds after should be a big confidence boost since everyone was there for her.

That said, I have to say that the whole production was thoroughly underwhelming. There was almost no staging at all - no sets (literally none, just the orchestra in a stand), minimal props, and costumes that came, at least in part, from Forever 21 (what?!?! I recognized some of the pieces from the store). It didn't feel like Broadway at all, and given how old a lot of the actors and musicians were, it genuinely felt like community theater at a senior's home. Where is the money from tickets going? It can't all be to Mel's salary. I was mad at the production team - either put some money behind it and do it right, or just don't do it and give someone else a go. I felt like that brought down some of the performances, too - it's a lot harder to get into the role when it's essentially black box. And unless I'm mistaken, Mel was the only one who got a costume change. Even Velma was in the same little black dress for the whole show, and the ensemble (playing multiple roles) never changed. People around me were commenting that it felt like budget theater, not Broadway.

We did rush tickets this morning - I think my friend got in line around 9:15 ish and had no problem getting them. We had to wait at least a half hour for Mel to come out, and I was starting to get worried that she wasn't going to - the guard was talking to the people next to me and said she frequently doesn't have a lot of time to spend with fans. The exact quote was "it all depends on what her husband has planned for her" said in kind of a grumbly voice, so take that how you will.

When she did come out, it was lightning fast. I think she managed to get to everyone who was still there (it's hovering at just over freezing atm, and a lot of people gave up after 20 min or so) but it was super-fast, like you get either an autograph or a pic but not both. I got to say "you were great!" and that was literally all I had time to say. It was very, very rushed but she was charming. Stephan came out just before her and was sort of watching over the whole thing.

This is my first time actually meeting one of the girls, so I'm walking on air right now even though the whole thing only lasted about 10 seconds or less! Definitely worth it!
If U Cant Dance

Postby If U Cant Dance » 17 Jan 2017, 18:38

chocolate_and_controversy wrote:Image[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Rf4hZq][/img]
That said, I have to say that the whole production was thoroughly underwhelming. There was almost no staging at all - no sets (literally none, just the orchestra in a stand), minimal props, and costumes that came, at least in part, from Forever 21 (what?!?! I recognized some of the pieces from the store). It didn't feel like Broadway at all, and given how old a lot of the actors and musicians were, it genuinely felt like community theater at a senior's home. Where is the money from tickets going? It can't all be to Mel's salary. I was mad at the production team - either put some money behind it and do it right, or just don't do it and give someone else a go. I felt like that brought down some of the performances, too - it's a lot harder to get into the role when it's essentially black box. And unless I'm mistaken, Mel was the only one who got a costume change. Even Velma was in the same little black dress for the whole show, and the ensemble (playing multiple roles) never changed. People around me were commenting that it felt like budget theater, not Broadway.

That's how all staged performances of Chicago are. They are trying to create that 30's speakeasy vibe within the theatre. While the film was amazing, it really put the wrong expectation into people's heads as to what they would be seeing. But that's another conversation!

That's awesome you got to meet Mel!
Snapple Spice

Postby Snapple Spice » 18 Jan 2017, 01:02

Considering going to see this on my birthday...if I'm brave enough to attempt to get a picture with her, where should I wait afterwards?
~I Love Melanie C :)~
Delospeloz2016

Postby Delospeloz2016 » 18 Jan 2017, 01:06

chocolate_and_controversy wrote:Image[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Rf4hZq][/img]

I went to see it tonight! Mel did a great job!

Mel is in the best shape of her life - she looked utterly fantastic! We were in the front row, so we had a very close view of her, and she looked incredible. She nailed the choreo, of course, and did a surprisingly good job with the vocals. Her strength was with some of the lower numbers that fit in her belt range. The higher ones were decent, and usually very solid, but maybe not quite A+ range. Still, her singing was better than I think a lot of people were expecting. Her acting was not great, honestly, but she's never been an actress. My only cringe-y bit was her accent - I'm not sure what she was trying to do, but whatever it was, it didn't work. She should have just gone with her regular accent, because trying to cover it completely did not work. But overall, I think it's a performance she can be proud of, and the crowds after should be a big confidence boost since everyone was there for her.

We did rush tickets this morning - I think my friend got in line around 9:15 ish and had no problem getting them. We had to wait at least a half hour for Mel to come out, and I was starting to get worried that she wasn't going to - the guard was talking to the people next to me and said she frequently doesn't have a lot of time to spend with fans. The exact quote was "it all depends on what her husband has planned for her" said in kind of a grumbly voice, so take that how you will.

When she did come out, it was lightning fast. I think she managed to get to everyone who was still there (it's hovering at just over freezing atm, and a lot of people gave up after 20 min or so) but it was super-fast, like you get either an autograph or a pic but not both. I got to say "you were great!" and that was literally all I had time to say. It was very, very rushed but she was charming. Stephan came out just before her and was sort of watching over the whole thing.

This is my first time actually meeting one of the girls, so I'm walking on air right now even though the whole thing only lasted about 10 seconds or less! Definitely worth it!

OHH!! WOWWW! BIG CONGRATS!! I know how you felt! later you remember it in slow motion like me?! hahha!! CONGRATS! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! SPICE UP YOUR LIFE!!
darkchild_2000

Postby darkchild_2000 » 18 Jan 2017, 22:58

Snapple Spice wrote:Considering going to see this on my birthday...if I'm brave enough to attempt to get a picture with her, where should I wait afterwards?

You wait to the right of the stage door which is located right next to the main entrance. She comes out that way.
Snapple Spice

Postby Snapple Spice » 19 Jan 2017, 01:25

darkchild_2000 wrote:
Snapple Spice wrote:Considering going to see this on my birthday...if I'm brave enough to attempt to get a picture with her, where should I wait afterwards?

You wait to the right of the stage door which is located right next to the main entrance. She comes out that way.

Thanks!
Melissa

Postby Melissa » 20 Jan 2017, 08:55

I'm going next Friday! Can't wait!
I believe in whatever gets you through the night. Night is the hardest time to be alive. For me, anyway. It lasts so long and 4 a.m. knows all my secrets. 4 a.m. is when my dreams die.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
SomeonesBaby

Postby SomeonesBaby » 20 Jan 2017, 21:52

Warning: I went to a 2:30 showing of the production (where there are two shows a day) and was told she doesn't come out between shows.

You have better luck meeting her after the last show of the day. So if you don't meet her after the first show, find something to do in NYC and go back around the time the last show should be exiting the theater.
do-it

Postby do-it » 21 Jan 2017, 20:21

Javi wrote:It's really hard to film videos on Broadway shows. The staff is very alert and focused watching the audience and checking if they're filming or not.

Yes it's not easy. The main thing I want is to *hear* what Mel sounds like singing these songs. I hope someone will record the audio, which of course is much easier to do undetected.

Thanks to everyone who's attended for the reports and reviews. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that she seems to be pulling it off.
tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 28 Jan 2017, 02:38

Recent videos

anyone found the interview she did on Rachel Ray show ( https://www.instagram.com/p/BPdnLzejEqy/ ) ?
Emma Station |
Travis

Postby Travis » 28 Jan 2017, 07:04

I just saw the show, and I loved every minute of it!

I'm actually glad I ready chocolate and controversy's review beforehand, so I knew what to expect. With that said, I wasn't underwhelmed at all. I had an appreciation for the simplicity of the staging and how it helped to "feature" the talent of the orchestra. And the lack of a set didn't impact my ability to get lost in the staging and acting whatsoever. It was my first ever Broadway show, but I was grinning like an idiot the entire time. I'm completely biased, but I thought Mel did an amazing job, along with the entire cast. I honestly can't recommend it enough.

Favorite moments: Mel was authentically cracking up at a fellow actor in one part, and was unable to recover completely quickly. It was sort of like how SNL actors sometimes crack and it winds up making the skit funnier.
Also, Cell Block Tango, while it didn't feature Mel, was my favorite number
Melissa

Postby Melissa » 28 Jan 2017, 11:24

Saw the show today and she did great! I loved her in RENT but wow... what a difference. She was 1000x better. And her dancing was great!

Hopefully you can see my pic with her here: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vqnuo8&s=9#.WIxlO7HMz-Z
I believe in whatever gets you through the night. Night is the hardest time to be alive. For me, anyway. It lasts so long and 4 a.m. knows all my secrets. 4 a.m. is when my dreams die.

Snapple Spice

Postby Snapple Spice » 29 Jan 2017, 18:50

I have no idea how to post my picture, but I saw her last night for my birthday and thought it was great! I've seen Chicago before and thought this rendition was just as good.

I was surprised by how many pictures/signatures she did afterwards, especially since she came out fairly late. I expected her to just walk down the line and into her car, but she went back and forth a few times, making sure she got everyone.
Snapple Spice

Postby Snapple Spice » 29 Jan 2017, 18:52

Melissa wrote:Saw the show today and she did great! I loved her in RENT but wow... what a difference. She was 1000x better. And her dancing was great!

Hopefully you can see my pic with her here: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vqnuo8&s=9#.WIxlO7HMz-Z

I remember seeing you there! I was a few feet behind you while we were waiting, but ended up moving to the left when she came out because some space opened up.

So funny...I was wondering if any Denden-ers were there!
imdaviep

Postby imdaviep » 30 Jan 2017, 15:51

Snapple Spice wrote:
Melissa wrote:Saw the show today and she did great! I loved her in RENT but wow... what a difference. She was 1000x better. And her dancing was great!

I remember seeing you there! I was a few feet behind you while we were waiting, but ended up moving to the left when she came out because some space opened up.

^^^Did you guys go to the 2:30 show or the 8pm show? I am going to the 2:30 show this Sunday and I desperately want to meet her, but I'm scared I won't have the chance because of the second show she's doing at 8. :-/
Snapple Spice

Postby Snapple Spice » 31 Jan 2017, 00:59

imdaviep wrote:
Snapple Spice wrote:

^^^Did you guys go to the 2:30 show or the 8pm show? I am going to the 2:30 show this Sunday and I desperately want to meet her, but I'm scared I won't have the chance because of the second show she's doing at 8. :-/

I was at the 8PM show, but I think some of the people who were waiting for her after that show had seen the 2:30 showing. I saw people walking up from down the street, and I heard multiple people talking about coming back another day (apparently we waited longer than usual because she was doing an interview afterwards).

Honestly, if you get there before the 8:30 show lets out, you might even get to be closer to the stage door. I was pretty far back by the time I left the theatre.
Melissa

Postby Melissa » 31 Jan 2017, 10:30

Wish I would have been able to meet you! Snapple Spice. I spent the day in NYC by myself and then decided to catch the 8pm show.

She doesnt really come out for the 2pm show so I would suggest going back to the stage door after the 8pm show ... I left when they were bowing and everything so I could get right in the front - as well as several other people doing the same... that would be my suggestion.

imdaviep

Postby imdaviep » 31 Jan 2017, 17:11

Thank you for the advice! I unfortunately can't stay around after the 8pm show, because it would be past the time I would need to get the bus back home, but I am going to stick around after the 2:30 show a little bit and see if she comes out. If not, at least I would have gotten to see her in the show! I am so excited! :)
kamel

Postby kamel » 31 Jan 2017, 22:31

tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 01 Feb 2017, 23:54

we can hear a bit of Mel singing here

Emma Station |
mattchat

Postby mattchat » 02 Feb 2017, 00:15

tiagohm wrote:we can hear a bit of Mel singing here

Thank you. She sounds perfect
...FunkyFresh...
Custom Title: MB World

Postby ...FunkyFresh... » 02 Feb 2017, 02:32

THANK YOU for posting! hoping we get a full song clip like Brandy has someday. Mel's star power here never ceases to amaze me, so proud of her!

i wasnt too nervous for her because she did Peepshow so well. Beyond the clips everyone has seen from PS she also had a slow ballad and she nailed it.
do-it

Postby do-it » 02 Feb 2017, 22:02

She sounds good. I'm very pleasantly surprised. I wonder if she's had some vocal coaching especially for this.

I hope we get to hear more. And I really hope this inspires her to do more performing.

Return to “Melanie B”