Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Relax with your friends in The Den.... :satan:
megzluvsmelc
Posts: 13342
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 09:07
Gender: Female
Custom Title: Beautiful Mind
Country: Australia
Location: Melbourne/Victoria
Contact:

Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby megzluvsmelc » 20 Jul 2017, 21:31

I read the news today that Chester of Linkin Park passed away of commited suicide at the age of 41.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l-facebook
Image
User avatar
PeruvianSpice
Posts: 21420
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Country: Peru
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby PeruvianSpice » 20 Jul 2017, 22:23

It shocked me!

Wow... depression, maybe?
Image
User avatar
addicted2you
Posts: 4155
Joined: 28 Oct 2004, 00:48
Gender: Male
Country: New_Zealand
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby addicted2you » 20 Jul 2017, 22:24

Gutted to hear to that :(
Image
BootyliciousJosh
Posts: 17688
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Country: United_States
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 21 Jul 2017, 02:39

Quite shocking :( We were listening to Linkin Park at work yesterday - what a weird coincidence.

RIP Chester.
Image
Stas
Posts: 7586
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Custom Title: straight forward
Country: Finland
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby Stas » 21 Jul 2017, 11:48

What a selfish selfish man. So much pain he has left behind for people to deal with, the ones who loved and cared for him. 6 children. What makes people do these things? I wonder what goes through their minds - most likely desperation...

RIP
Image
herman22j
Posts: 1407
Joined: 07 Jul 2005, 11:17
Gender: Male
Country: Netherlands
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby herman22j » 21 Jul 2017, 16:36

Stas wrote:What a selfish selfish man. So much pain he has left behind for people to deal with, the ones who loved and cared for him. 6 children. What makes people do these things? I wonder what goes through their minds - most likely desperation...

RIP


I get what you say, but people will die anyway. No one has eternal life. Letting go is also a part of this life. So if he had accident it would be fine and more peaceful to people? I think not. It was his choice period
NUFF SAID
User avatar
PeruvianSpice
Posts: 21420
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Country: Peru
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby PeruvianSpice » 21 Jul 2017, 20:47

It's easy to say "how selfish" or whatever adjective one wants to put but having depression or any mental issue he was dealing with, yo can't see a way out of it... it's quite sad actually...
Image
megzluvsmelc
Posts: 13342
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 09:07
Gender: Female
Custom Title: Beautiful Mind
Country: Australia
Location: Melbourne/Victoria
Contact:

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby megzluvsmelc » 21 Jul 2017, 23:51

Forgot to add: Linkin Park were the huge part of my youth and they helped me getting through the hard times like Chester did. If you or someone you know are struggling from depression or other mental health issues, please ask for help as much as you can. They are always be there for you.
Image
Stas
Posts: 7586
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Custom Title: straight forward
Country: Finland
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby Stas » 22 Jul 2017, 10:52

herman22j wrote:
Stas wrote:What a selfish selfish man. So much pain he has left behind for people to deal with, the ones who loved and cared for him. 6 children. What makes people do these things? I wonder what goes through their minds - most likely desperation...

RIP


I get what you say, but people will die anyway. No one has eternal life. Letting go is also a part of this life. So if he had accident it would be fine and more peaceful to people? I think not. It was his choice period


Do you have anyone very close to you who has committed suicide? If you don't, you have no idea how it feels.
Image
BootyliciousJosh
Posts: 17688
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Country: United_States
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 25 Jul 2017, 03:13

Stas wrote:What a selfish selfish man. So much pain he has left behind for people to deal with, the ones who loved and cared for him. 6 children. What makes people do these things? I wonder what goes through their minds - most likely desperation...

RIP

It is selfish but sometimes that's the only "way out" to some people.

Throughout high school (and middle school), I had suicidal thoughts a lot. I cut myself a few times because of bullying. I've been teased and called every gay name that comes to mind since I was 7 (1992/1993 mind you) from kids who claimed to be my friends and even their siblings whom I barely knew. I never told anyone because I didn't want the conflict. I made myself suffer - which was my own fault. What made me not take action was when my mom told me about a boy she knew in school who was gay and when word got out, some boys in school raped him. That scared the shit outta me, not sure why she told me that to begin with. And when I finally did tell someone about it, nothing got done really. I'm just grateful it never escalated to fights or getting my ass beaten.

No one truly knows whats going through that person's mind, I guess unless you've kinda experienced it. I've read countless comments about called him selfish and a coward on social media and it truly makes me so angry. No one has the right to judge that person because of what they were going through. You can only pretend to be happy for so long before something really throws you into the deep end.

And I'm not attacking you, Stas by what you said. I'm really not. x
Image
megzluvsmelc
Posts: 13342
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 09:07
Gender: Female
Custom Title: Beautiful Mind
Country: Australia
Location: Melbourne/Victoria
Contact:

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby megzluvsmelc » 25 Jul 2017, 04:08

BootyliciousJosh wrote:
Stas wrote:What a selfish selfish man. So much pain he has left behind for people to deal with, the ones who loved and cared for him. 6 children. What makes people do these things? I wonder what goes through their minds - most likely desperation...

RIP

It is selfish but sometimes that's the only "way out" to some people.

Throughout high school (and middle school), I had suicidal thoughts a lot. I cut myself a few times because of bullying. I've been teased and called every gay name that comes to mind since I was 7 (1992/1993 mind you) from kids who claimed to be my friends and even their siblings whom I barely knew. I never told anyone because I didn't want the conflict. I made myself suffer - which was my own fault. What made me not take action was when my mom told me about a boy she knew in school who was gay and when word got out, some boys in school raped him. That scared the shit outta me, not sure why she told me that to begin with. And when I finally did tell someone about it, nothing got done really. I'm just grateful it never escalated to fights or getting my ass beaten.

No one truly knows whats going through that person's mind, I guess unless you've kinda experienced it. I've read countless comments about called him selfish and a coward on social media and it truly makes me so angry. No one has the right to judge that person because of what they were going through. You can only pretend to be happy for so long before something really throws you into the deep end.

And I'm not attacking you, Stas by what you said. I'm really not. x


I agree with everything you said Josh! I read some people called him selfish on social media but hey he really can't help himself.

One of my mates had suicidal thoughts for years, cried for help etc due to mental health reason. She was bullied which was horrible. Chester left his wife and 6 kids behind. :( So sad.
Image
Stas
Posts: 7586
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Male
Custom Title: straight forward
Country: Finland
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby Stas » 26 Jul 2017, 23:24

BootyliciousJosh wrote:
Stas wrote:What a selfish selfish man. So much pain he has left behind for people to deal with, the ones who loved and cared for him. 6 children. What makes people do these things? I wonder what goes through their minds - most likely desperation...

RIP

It is selfish but sometimes that's the only "way out" to some people.

Throughout high school (and middle school), I had suicidal thoughts a lot. I cut myself a few times because of bullying. I've been teased and called every gay name that comes to mind since I was 7 (1992/1993 mind you) from kids who claimed to be my friends and even their siblings whom I barely knew. I never told anyone because I didn't want the conflict. I made myself suffer - which was my own fault. What made me not take action was when my mom told me about a boy she knew in school who was gay and when word got out, some boys in school raped him. That scared the shit outta me, not sure why she told me that to begin with. And when I finally did tell someone about it, nothing got done really. I'm just grateful it never escalated to fights or getting my ass beaten.

No one truly knows whats going through that person's mind, I guess unless you've kinda experienced it. I've read countless comments about called him selfish and a coward on social media and it truly makes me so angry. No one has the right to judge that person because of what they were going through. You can only pretend to be happy for so long before something really throws you into the deep end.

And I'm not attacking you, Stas by what you said. I'm really not. x


Oh Josh, it wasn't my point. We all have shit to deal with, we all know someone who has a much worse life and things to deal with than we do (at least I know), but they deal with them no matter how terrible it gets. That's how you deal with things. It's life. I was bullied in school for nearly a decade, but I stood up for myself although I was beaten up twice in the end. And I am not even going to mention everything that has happened during last 18 years. The thing is... You get up, dust yourself off and move on. No matter how harsh it sounds, this is what we have to do if we want to survive in this world. You have bad and good days, sometimes more of the others than the other ones. I am not calling anybody a coward, but it was a selfish thing to do...
Image
User avatar
JimmyLo
Posts: 5012
Joined: 05 Nov 2004, 20:56
Gender: Male
Country: Canada

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby JimmyLo » 01 Aug 2017, 18:33

Stas wrote:
BootyliciousJosh wrote:
Stas wrote:What a selfish selfish man. So much pain he has left behind for people to deal with, the ones who loved and cared for him. 6 children. What makes people do these things? I wonder what goes through their minds - most likely desperation...

RIP

It is selfish but sometimes that's the only "way out" to some people.

Throughout high school (and middle school), I had suicidal thoughts a lot. I cut myself a few times because of bullying. I've been teased and called every gay name that comes to mind since I was 7 (1992/1993 mind you) from kids who claimed to be my friends and even their siblings whom I barely knew. I never told anyone because I didn't want the conflict. I made myself suffer - which was my own fault. What made me not take action was when my mom told me about a boy she knew in school who was gay and when word got out, some boys in school raped him. That scared the shit outta me, not sure why she told me that to begin with. And when I finally did tell someone about it, nothing got done really. I'm just grateful it never escalated to fights or getting my ass beaten.

No one truly knows whats going through that person's mind, I guess unless you've kinda experienced it. I've read countless comments about called him selfish and a coward on social media and it truly makes me so angry. No one has the right to judge that person because of what they were going through. You can only pretend to be happy for so long before something really throws you into the deep end.

And I'm not attacking you, Stas by what you said. I'm really not. x


Oh Josh, it wasn't my point. We all have shit to deal with, we all know someone who has a much worse life and things to deal with than we do (at least I know), but they deal with them no matter how terrible it gets. That's how you deal with things. It's life. I was bullied in school for nearly a decade, but I stood up for myself although I was beaten up twice in the end. And I am not even going to mention everything that has happened during last 18 years. The thing is... You get up, dust yourself off and move on. No matter how harsh it sounds, this is what we have to do if we want to survive in this world. You have bad and good days, sometimes more of the others than the other ones. I am not calling anybody a coward, but it was a selfish thing to do...


I lost a very, very dear friend to suicide almost 2 years ago. None of his friends or family knew anything was wrong with him. He suffered in total silence and his death was an absolute tragedy for his friends and family and our community. He was very much loved by many.

Mental illness is just that - an illness. Without treatment it can cause death. When you're mentally ill, you don't think things through properly. You're not able to think of happy things, or have normal empathy. Your brain and mentality isn't acting normal because of the illness. Sometimes this can cause unbearable emotional pain. This is why people kill themselves- the pain is so terrible that all they can think is ending their own lives to stop it. They aren't able to convince themselves to get help or they think that their problem is beyond help.

You're probably not mentally ill so you're able to reason and find things in life that keep you happy or that make you feel better when you're not (the "dust off and try again" attitude). When that thing in your brain is turned off or deterred because of illness, it doesn't work properly and can, ultimately, lead to completion of suicide or attempts.

I spent a long time very angry at my friend for putting us through all that pain. But now I see that he was sick and that he suffered in silence. That's what I'm angry about now - that my dear friend suffered and we knew nothing. How awful of a mindset that must have been for him. If only we could have known and helped him and led him down the path to getting better.

All I can do now is try to make sure that no one I know ever suffers in silence like that. I've opened my doors to the people I care about who need help.

I certainly do not wish this on anyone, but one day you might find yourself being approached by a friend who's asking for help, or you may find that they need help. Just remember that it's a illness, not a choice. It's hard to understand because you can't see the effects of the illness - they're all in the mind. I hope you can find a way to see past what you see and that sometimes it's a lot more difficult than just saying "that's life, move on."

Try not to judge people who kill themselves. They would have had to have been in a lot of pain to get so far as to think the only way to stop suffering would be to end their own life (and see that as their only option). Be thankful that you can see options and ways out for you if things get dark in your mind.
Image
FiaSpice
Posts: 20628
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Female
Custom Title: Not immune
Country: Canada
Location: Montréal, Québec
Contact:

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby FiaSpice » 02 Aug 2017, 16:27

JimmyLo wrote:I lost a very, very dear friend to suicide almost 2 years ago. None of his friends or family knew anything was wrong with him. He suffered in total silence and his death was an absolute tragedy for his friends and family and our community. He was very much loved by many.

Mental illness is just that - an illness. Without treatment it can cause death. When you're mentally ill, you don't think things through properly. You're not able to think of happy things, or have normal empathy. Your brain and mentality isn't acting normal because of the illness. Sometimes this can cause unbearable emotional pain. This is why people kill themselves- the pain is so terrible that all they can think is ending their own lives to stop it. They aren't able to convince themselves to get help or they think that their problem is beyond help.

You're probably not mentally ill so you're able to reason and find things in life that keep you happy or that make you feel better when you're not (the "dust off and try again" attitude). When that thing in your brain is turned off or deterred because of illness, it doesn't work properly and can, ultimately, lead to completion of suicide or attempts.

I spent a long time very angry at my friend for putting us through all that pain. But now I see that he was sick and that he suffered in silence. That's what I'm angry about now - that my dear friend suffered and we knew nothing. How awful of a mindset that must have been for him. If only we could have known and helped him and led him down the path to getting better.

All I can do now is try to make sure that no one I know ever suffers in silence like that. I've opened my doors to the people I care about who need help.

I certainly do not wish this on anyone, but one day you might find yourself being approached by a friend who's asking for help, or you may find that they need help. Just remember that it's a illness, not a choice. It's hard to understand because you can't see the effects of the illness - they're all in the mind. I hope you can find a way to see past what you see and that sometimes it's a lot more difficult than just saying "that's life, move on."

Try not to judge people who kill themselves. They would have had to have been in a lot of pain to get so far as to think the only way to stop suffering would be to end their own life (and see that as their only option). Be thankful that you can see options and ways out for you if things get dark in your mind.


THIS!!!! I'm really sorry for the loss of your friend.
As you mention, a mental illness isn't cured by a kick in the butt and dusting yourself. There was a time in my life when I was bullied and felt worthless that I thought the only way out would be to die. I asked for help at school and I was only told "don't mind them" which didn't helped. I suffered mostly in silence. The main reason for not doing it was I was scared to not be sucessfull and thinking how awfull it would be after that.

***

People tried to make money off the memorabillia from his funeral (sounds like the listing are removed). This is disgusting and selfish.
http://www.kerrang.com/49616/chester-be ... s-dollars/
Image
User avatar
Madrigal
Posts: 20931
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 02:32
Gender: Female
Custom Title: Sheerio
Country: United_States
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Linkin Park lead singer Chester committed suicide

Postby Madrigal » 05 Aug 2017, 11:38

I would also like to add that Chester had dealt with sexual abuse as a child, which would more than likely cause some sort of complex trauma. Like Jimmy said, that's not something you just "dust off and move on from". Trauma is a mental illness, and you treat it as such. It's easy to say "it's all in your head" or something like that. But, where else would it be?

Mental illness and suicide is so, so stigmatized. The brain is an organ too, and like other organs, it gets sick. And by downplaying mental illness as something as a minor issue doesn't help the stigmatizing. Don't invalidate the mentally ill by stigmatizing them.
Image

Return to “Small Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests